ADVERTISEMENT

The Kenny Parker effect.

RU-05

Heisman Winner
Jun 25, 2015
Coming off last year I was skeptical.

But I think we saw his influence in game 1 this season. Especially along the D line, there are couple guys out there where I thought, dang look at the size of this guy.

In general we held our own, and then some, along the lines of scrimmage.

Coming off last year I was skeptical.

But I think we saw his influence in game 1 this season. Especially along the D line, there are couple guys out there where I thought, dang look at the size of this guy.

In general we held our own, and then some, along the lines of scrimmage.

Skeptical after he was only on the job for 8 months before the first game? Really?

I watched the "compressed" replay. Guys on both sides of the ball were still going strong in the 4th qtr.

I seriously thought Previlon would amount to nothing during his time here. That kid must have worked his ass off. With Parker to guide him these past two years he's gone from a 6' 5" 230 lb bean pole to a 6' 5" 290 lb wrecking ball. And it isn't a lot of fat he's packed on. Kid had a helluva game which has gone largely unnoticed. He's going to provide some big plays for us this year and next.

Last edited:
I seriously thought Previlon would amount to nothing during his time here. That kid must have worked his ass off and with Parker to guide him these past two years he's gone from a 6' 5" 230 lb bean pole to a 6' 5" 290 lb wrecking ball. And it isn't a lot of fat. Kid had a helluva game which has gone largely unnoticed. He's going to provide some big plays for us this year and next.

And the year after that, he is only a redshirt sophomore.

... and that's how we go from a Big East program to a B1G program.

You wonder how all these Midwestern programs have big BIG linemen (who have been pushing us around for the last few seasons), well this is how. Strength and Conditioning is as important as anything you do on the field.

I seriously thought Previlon would amount to nothing during his time here. That kid must have worked his ass off. With Parker to guide him these past two years he's gone from a 6' 5" 230 lb bean pole to a 6' 5" 290 lb wrecking ball. And it isn't a lot of fat he's packed on. Kid had a helluva game which has gone largely unnoticed. He's going to provide some big plays for us this year and next.

Looked at the stat sheet and he had 2 pass breakups and a QB hurry. Pretty darn good for his first significant action.

It's still stuns me, to this day, that some you guys EXPECTED to see a noticeable difference in just one off-season.

How many posters really know a good SC assistant coach? I couldn't name top 5 SC. assistants in waiting. All anyone has to go on is results. Did we look bigger, stronger or faster than any B1G team last season? Didn't seem so. Under Greg we held our own at the end of his tenure. But under flood we regressed a ton. This season our 1 game result, backs up the perception and hope many have in Kenny. Maybe I wanted more based on all the hype about lifting/competing last summer. It wasn't realistic to expect miracles, but it was within reason to want results to be on par with lower B1G teams.

Reactions: Steve91562
Skeptical after he was only on the job for 8 months before the first game? Really?

It's still stuns me, to this day, that some you guys EXPECTED to see a noticeable difference in just one off-season.
But last year was so bad. That's why I was skeptical. It appeared as if there was a noticeable difference, except it was in the wrong direction. Though as noted the high speed offensive ineptitude probably played a role.

Which isn't to say I had lost faith in Parker, or Ash, but I had certainly taken a more wait and see approach. What I saw on Friday night was very encouraging.

Where was he lined up?

How many posters really know a good SC assistant coach? I couldn't name top 5 SC. assistants in waiting. All anyone has to go on is results. Did we look bigger, stronger or faster than any B1G team last season? Didn't seem so. Under Greg we held our own at the end of his tenure. But under flood we regressed a ton. This season our 1 game result, backs up the perception and hope many have in Kenny. Maybe I wanted more based on all the hype about lifting/competing last summer. It wasn't realistic to expect miracles, but it was within reason to want results to be on par with lower B1G teams.

I have no clue who "knows a good S&C" coach or not. I'm just saying that expecting to see a difference ON THE FIELD OF PLAY, after installing an entire new style (see: theory) of strength and condition, 1 off-season later, seems very short-sighted to me, that's all.

... and that's how we go from a Big East program to a B1G program.

You wonder how all these Midwestern programs have big BIG linemen (who have been pushing us around for the last few seasons), well this is how. Strength and Conditioning is as important as anything you do on the field.
And that's why unless you're a freak of nature, big bodies almost always end up redshirting that first year so you can get academics, playbook and body in top condition to make a difference as a sophomore and beyond.

I understand that the previous S&C coach, Jeremy Cole, was also highly regarded. I think the current regime has more authority& resources such as the nutritionist being hired, and authority to schedule more workouts.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
If you are referring to last year ,part of the answer is DM.Wore out our D by not moving the ball.

If you are referring to last year ,part of the answer is DM.Wore out our D by not moving the ball.
Yes, last season. But even in first half of games we were not controlling line of scrimmage on either side of ball. Agree in 3rd, 4th quarter D was gassed from repeated 3 and outs with no time coming off the clock. Kenny has done great job so far. Before last season it was hard to comprehend just how far back we were in S&C and how long it would take to bring us up to B1G standards.

Re Cole: from those spring videos, seemed ery much an amateur. Did he get a s& c position elsewhere?

I read somewhere Flood's S & C coach used a cross training method

Kenny Parker or not, if Mehringer was still here, the D would still be gassed from the O's inability to move the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT