ADVERTISEMENT

the offensive line

Rutgerskid80

Sophomore
Dec 12, 2011
I have read the mods comments over the last few weeks and it seems that the overwhelming concern that they have for us coming into this year is not the QB race which most people view as the biggest issue that needs resolved but rather the re-patching of the offensive line.

We are losing 3 starters this year with Bujari, Alexander and Johnson.

Personally I was not that big of a fan of Bujari throughout his career. I found him a bit undersized and thought he got pushed back way too many times against the elite teams. However, I understand that losing a Center is huge in the college game and is not replaced easily. I am hoping the Nelson is good enough to step in and take over--and hope it is not too much of a drop off. My second choice is Miller...Even though i think that Muller might be the best fit--i think he is move valuable to us at the RG spot because of his intensity and ability to push and create holes for our running backs.

Alexander--I thought he was solid last year but not the most consistent guy. At times he was replaced by Denman--I don't know if it was to give Denman time at the position or bc of ability. I thought Denman was inconsistent at times against the pass rush and though he struggled a lot against the speed rushers. However i thought he played well against the run--and if he can develop as a pass blocker i think that there won't be much of a drop off.

Johnson--I think he will be our biggest loss. He was very solid and I think he has NFL potential as a late pick or an UFA. Either way my guy to replace him would be Tariq Cole---I think he is massive and strong...and if Miller/Nelson can play center--Cole can slide in and be that big body on the left side along Lumpkin. if not Cole then the spot falls to Miller who by all accounts is a good guard.

The biggest issue for us is the sheer volume of guys that we have to replace. The fact that 3 out of 5 guys needs to be replaced gives us a high chance of one or more of those guys being not as good as the previous predecessors. HOpefully Lumpkin and Muller are both better so we can improve with the 2 returning guys.

I agree that this is a big unknown coming into the season but for some reason feel confident with the remaining guys who could fill up those spots. Cole, MIller and Nelson should get the remaining spots...if not them...hopefully guys like Brodia and Applefied can take that next step.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News