ADVERTISEMENT

The Power 2…

Arizona Knight

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001

SEC and B1G are not just dominant on the field but they are literally (along with FOX and ESPN) shaping the future of college athletics. They will be calling the shots and making policy. There is no P4 folks.

It's not a matter of if this will happen. It is happening. The only question is how fast and what other teams are going to make the cut.

Wouldn't want to be those Acc teams outside of Unc and Uva. GT, NCST., Miami, VaTech in the next bucket.

Everyone else is screwed. B12 is Utah, Arizona, and maybe a couple of others.

College sports in 10 years will look and be completely different.

Of course the P2 will have a big influence in CFB and of course they will make more money but it doesn't mean everyone else won't have opportunity and will be left out. Actually, the schools in the ACC/B12 and G5 probably have more opportunity now than ever before to achieve goals they never could before. It doesn't mean they will win championships but they can make the playoffs, maybe win a game or 2 and get some notoriety. That's plenty more than they have now and they largely will compete against schools of similar resources.

If you notice the formats always go to more inclusion not less. The P2 will want more positions for themselves but it doesn't mean others are completely left out. If you look even at that expansion format to 14, it has 3 for the B10/SEC, 2 for the ACC/B12, 1 for the G5 and 3 at large bids. So if you're the B12/ACC and you're guaranteed at least 2 bids for your conference that's pretty good. G5 still keeps its one.

Just look at the very preliminary talk for the NCAA tourney to 96 teams. It creates more room for the P2(4) but it doesn't kick out the small conferences that participate now. It's not keep at 68 and boot the small conferences.

So sure the P2 will get more but it doesn't mean others will be excluded from participation.

The biggest thing I took from that article was the B10/SEC trying to create bowl tie ups and regular season matchups between themselves. I think that's interesting. I think that's also a way to get more tv money without expanding. If you don't harm the playoff chances of schools with CFP expansion (and/or guaranteed bids), it allows for more marquee matchups between the conferences which can be worth more tv money. You don't get worried about a tougher regular season B10/SEC matchup if your playoffs chances aren't hurt too much if you lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUBigFrank
Of course the P2 will have a big influence in CFB and of course they will make more money but it doesn't mean everyone else won't have opportunity and will be left out. Actually, the schools in the ACC/B12 and G5 probably have more opportunity now than ever before to achieve goals they never could before. It doesn't mean they will championships but they can make the playoffs, maybe win a game or 2 and get some notoriety. That's plenty more than they have now and they largely will compete against schools of similar resources.

If you notice the formats always go to more inclusion not less. The P2 will want more positions for themselves but it doesn't mean other are completely left out. If you look even at that expansion format to 14, it has 3 for the B10/SEC, 2 for the ACC/B12, 1 for the G5 and 3 at large bids. So if you're the B12/ACC and you're guaranteed at least 2 bids for your conference that's pretty good. G5 still keeps its one.

Just look at the very preliminary talk for the NCAA tourney to 96 teams. It creates more room for the P2(4) but it doesn't kick out the small conferences that participate now. It's not keep at 68 and boot the small conferences.

So sure the P2 will get more but it doesn't mean others will be excluded from participation.

The biggest thing I took from that article was the B10/SEC trying to create bowl tie ups and regular season matchups between themselves. I think that's interesting. I think that's also a way to get more tv money without expanding. If you don't harm the playoff chances of schools with CFP expansion (and/or guaranteed bids), it allows for more marquee matchups between the conferences which can be worth more tv money. You don't get worried about a tougher regular season B10/SEC matchup if your playoffs chances aren't hurt too much if you lose.
I'd sign up for a B1G-SEC Football Challenge for part of the OOC scheduling.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
It's not a matter of if this will happen. It is happening. The only question is how fast and what other teams are going to make the cut.

Wouldn't want to be those Acc teams outside of Unc and Uva. GT, NCST., Miami, VaTech in the next bucket.

Everyone else is screwed. B12 is Utah, Arizona, and maybe a couple of others.

College sports in 10 years will look and be completely different.
It looks really different now than it did in 2019…in 2034…🫣🤯

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT