ADVERTISEMENT

The RAC the Sphere and the Dead

R1766U

Senior
Jan 17, 2014
NJ
I am a 40 year old Rutgers Fan who has only been to a handful of modern concerts at the RAC.

I recently got back from seeing Dead and Company at the Sphere in Las Vegas and it was beyond words. While I was there, I couldn’t help but think of what it was like to see the Grateful Dead there in 1981. I have read stories about the Thunder and Lightning during the show and have listened to it in its entirety here:

Was anyone here there? Would love to hear some stories.

Also, the Sphere is an ABSOLUTE must do for anyone. It is beyond words. The pictures and video do not come close to doing it justice. The sound clarity, the visuals, the haptic/vibrating seats that synchronize with some of the drums…. The entire experience was life changing. Seriously.

One last thing—- I wonder if there was ever any talk of adding a museum type experience to the RAC where there is at the least a display of all of the different musicians and artists who have performed there. I think that would be neat.

I am a 40 year old Rutgers Fan who has only been to a handful of modern concerts at the RAC.

I recently got back from seeing Dead and Company at the Sphere in Las Vegas and it was beyond words. While I was there, I couldn’t help but think of what it was like to see the Grateful Dead there in 1981. I have read stories about the Thunder and Lightning during the show and have listened to it in its entirety here:

Also, the Sphere is an ABSOLUTE must do for anyone. It is beyond words. The pictures and video do not come close to doing it justice. The sound clarity, the visuals, the haptic/vibrating seats that synchronize with some of the drums…. The entire experience was life changing. Seriously.

One last thing—- I wonder if there was ever any talk of adding a museum type experience to the RAC where there is at the least a display of all of the different musicians and artists who have performed there. I think that would be neat.
I was there my older brother waas a huge Dead head and it was my first was Dead show ever and what an experience it was the show itself was great I can't remember specific songs per se but I just remember people dancing where the concession stands were and going to the concert there were so many people with signs needing tickets and me thinking as a college student I could have made a ton of money as I had bought 8 tickets

Reactions: RUShea and Smols
Grateful-Dead-at-Rutgers-Athletic-Center-1981-Backstage-Pass_2434d424-eac8-4448-b9ef-cea90498935d.ff61b36489ee4aac61ffe253c5331d1d.jpeg

I wasn't at the RAC show. WPLJ gave these away to fans at the concert. I didn't get into the Dead until a few years later in the mid 80s.

However, I did attend the July 11 Dead & Co. show at the Sphere. What a blast! I also saw U2 at the Sphere last year. As a whole I think U2 did a better job of using the Sphere's graphics and special effects. With that said, U2 is known for going over the top with that kind of stuff. Dead & Co. used what the Sphere has to offer perfectly fine for the type of music it performs.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dead...OUKvOFSmuRv9HpVBhg_aem_NYQpsG_ay6wX6Eq7Ll08YA

Did you go to Shakedown Street at the Tuscany Hotel on the day of the show? If you didn't, you really missed out on a good part of the total Dead experience.

451224599_10229308036458501_2070195578300740045_n.jpg

451011486_10229308055538978_3525807058662183128_n.jpg

Lots of big acts at the College Ave gym back in the day:Four Tops, Temptations, Simon and Garfunkel, Charlie Daniel’s, Lovin Spoonful, Ray Charles, Muddy Waters, Judy Collin’s, et al.

• Wow
Reactions: rubigtimenow

Buddy of mine saw Phish there a few months ago and sent me videos. It’s high on my todo list.

Reactions: RUShea

Grateful-Dead-at-Rutgers-Athletic-Center-1981-Backstage-Pass_2434d424-eac8-4448-b9ef-cea90498935d.ff61b36489ee4aac61ffe253c5331d1d.jpeg

I wasn't at the RAC show. WPLJ gave these away to fans at the concert. I didn't get into the Dead until a few years later in the mid 80s.

However, I did attend the July 11 Dead & Co. show at the Sphere. What a blast! I also saw U2 at the Sphere last year. As a whole I think U2 did a better job of using the Sphere's graphics and special effects. With that said, U2 is known for going over the top with that kind of stuff. Dead & Co. used what the Sphere has to offer perfectly fine for the type of music it performs.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dead...OUKvOFSmuRv9HpVBhg_aem_NYQpsG_ay6wX6Eq7Ll08YA

Did you go to Shakedown Street at the Tuscany Hotel on the day of the show? If you didn't, you really missed out on a good part of the total Dead experience.

451224599_10229308036458501_2070195578300740045_n.jpg

451011486_10229308055538978_3525807058662183128_n.jpg
Small world, I was there for the 11th and 12th shows. Yes, went to Tuscany, was awesome. I still can’t get over how awesome Drums in Space was with the seat haptics. Wish I could go back one more time.

If anyone is on the fence and able to swing making it to one of these last few shows, do whatever you can to get there and see them. You won’t regret it.

Lots of big acts at the College Ave gym back in the day:Four Tops, Temptations, Simon and Garfunkel, Charlie Daniel’s, Lovin Spoonful, Ray Charles, Muddy Waters, Judy Collin’s, et al.
Opened for music by Linda Ronstadt in a Rutgers Cheerleader uniform. Classic

Reactions: knightfan7
Wife and I are big Dead fans. The RAC show was a partial factor in picking our 5/15 wedding date. I will never forget my anniversary now!

@RUDiddy777 I also have friend who saw Phish at the Sphere. Heard it was pretty amazing. I regret not going, but I'll likely be at MSG for New Years.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Wife and I are big Dead fans. The RAC show was a partial factor in picking our 5/15 wedding date. I will never forget my anniversary now!

@RUDiddy777 I also have friend who saw Phish at the Sphere. Heard it was pretty amazing. I regret not going, but I'll likely be at MSG for New Years.

I’m not even much of fan of Phish and if they’re there again I’m going.

Reactions: RUShea

Cheap Trick Setlist

UFO Setlist

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
. . .

Sorry for the aside, but I promise to bring it back to what you're wondering.

In the center of Rutgers's original campus lies the the site of the very first college football game. Pretty big deal. In fact, a huge deal. That location should be a shrine. It should have a beautiful, restored field with a museum attached to it, with pictures, drawings, historical discussions, and explanations of the history of the first game and how football itself evolved. Rutgers would plant its flag, a beautiful one, right in the Garden of Eden of college football, something that all visitors would understand (visiting fans would pay to see it).

But, alas, it's a dirty, unkempt eyesore of a parking lot that no one ever wants to see.

All of this is to say that if we can't get that (incredibly obvious, advantageous and wonderful) thing, there's no chance you're getting your RAC musicians museum.

Last edited:

In the center of Rutgers's original campus lies the the site of the very first college football game. Pretty big deal. In fact, a huge deal. That location should be a shrine. It should have a beautiful, restored field with a museum attached to it, with pictures, drawings, historical discussions, and explanations of the history of the first game and how football itself evolved. Rutgers would plant its flag, a beautiful one, right in the Garden of Eden of college football, something that all visitors would understand (visiting fans would pay to see).

But, alas, it's a dirty, unkempt eyesore of a parking lot that no one ever wants to see.

All of this is to say that if we can't get that (incredibly obvious, advantageous and wonderful) thing, there's no chance you're getting your RAC musicians museum.
Agree 💯. Its a shame.

In the center of Rutgers's original campus lies the the site of the very first college football game. Pretty big deal. In fact, a huge deal. That location should be a shrine. It should have a beautiful, restored field with a museum attached to it, with pictures, drawings, historical discussions, and explanations of the history of the first game and how football itself evolved. Rutgers would plant its flag, a beautiful one, right in the Garden of Eden of college football, something that all visitors would understand (visiting fans would pay to see it).

iu

I've been to the Sphere a couple of times now. Definitely must see if you haven't. They are having real problems monetizing it. Will be interesting to see how it gets used in the future. It's losing a lot of money.

Also remember -

Devo (fun)
Van Morrison (awful)

And then there was Peter Gabriel at the Livingston Gym (awesome).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT