ADVERTISEMENT

The top 16 wings for the 2024-25 men's college basketball season, ranked by Andy Katz

Katz is usually pretty good, and very pro-Pikiell and RU.

I have just 2 very small quibbles (having nothing to do with bailey - well sort of):

1) Dawson Garcia is really a stretch 4, not a Wing.

2) Not as certain as Garcia, but Flagg, in my opinion, having seen him play quite a bit in the All Star circuit, is very likely a stretch 4 also, not a Wing. And this includes seeing Bailey and Flagg play against each other in the McDonalds game. I noticed in that game that though Bailey covered Flagg, Flagg did not cover Bailey most of the time (except on switches), but played more of an interior defensive position (not Center). As a stretch 4, defending other 4's it also maximizes Flagg's ability to make amazing defensive help plays. Just my opinion ... that Bailey and Flagg do not really play the same position, as Bailey is a pure Wing vs Flagg's stretch 4.

Yeah, I know that may be a little nit-picking, but ... that is how I see it. Of course, I could be totally wrong, I admit ... and also, positions really blur at the forward position sometimes.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Katz is usually pretty good, and very pro-Pikiell and RU.

I have just 2 very small quibbles (having nothing to do with bailey - well sort of):

1) Dawson Garcia is really a stretch 4, not a Wing.

2) Not as certain as Garcia, but Flagg, in my opinion, having seen him play quite a bit in the All Star circuit, is very likely a stretch 4 also, not a Wing. And this includes seeing Bailey and Flagg play against each other in the McDonalds game. I noticed in that game that though Bailey covered Flagg, Flagg did not cover Bailey most of the time (except on switches), but played more of an interior defensive position (not Center). As a stretch 4, defending other 4's it also maximizes Flagg's ability to make amazing defensive help plays. Just my opinion ... that Bailey and Flagg do not really play the same position, as Bailey is a pure Wing vs Flagg's stretch 4.

Yeah, I know that may be a little nit-picking, but ... that is how I see it. Of course, I could be totally wrong, I admit ... and also, positions really blur at the forward position sometimes.
To me it seems Katz is just putting anyone projected to start at the 3 or the 4 as a wing. I think Cooper is pretty objectively a wing though.

Ace at #3?!

Wow ... imagine if Rutgers also had one of the best guards in all of MBB.

Add in some accomplished veterans and Rutgers might actually be able to finish as high as 15th in the B1G as "Blue Ribbon" predicted (whoever the hell those morons are). I know that's a lofty expectation, but a guy can dream can't he?

I big question mark is at the 5 and the 4. If we could have kept Cliff, flaws and all, I believe this is a Top 20 team. However, it looks like we have a foul-prone project starting at center, a very skilled freshman backing him up, and not much depth there. If Ogbole surprises and Sommerville is ahead of most freshman big men, the team can surprise.

This is a top 20 team without Cliff.
With Cliff, top 10 likely.
Could still make deep run with this team in March, as ther are still many unknowns.
Blue Ribbon is reportedly an Indiana Publication?, so don’t take there #1 BT Indians & #15 Rutgers seriously..
Jay Young can coach Bigs. & Remember on our best team (2021) Cliff wasn’t even much of a factor, it was Miles J.
(& he wasn’t even on the 2020 team that would have been in the tournament, & arguably could have made even a deeper run, especially if in the MSG region)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT