ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast Three Most Important Hoops Storylines This Offseason

Enjoyed the pod as usual. One thing I take issue with though is the idea that we need a new offensive philosophy or a specialized offensive assistant coach. In particular the idea that a new coach would help the team take the statistically more valuable shots doesn't ring true. I would bet the proverbial farm that Pike and co. 100% know that mid-range shots don't pay and know how to capitalize on that info. They aren't dumb.

So much of good offense is making the D take hard choices (e.g. play tight on the perimeter or protect the rim). If you don't have a legit perimeter threat, nothing, I mean nothing is going to work for you.

It seems patently obvious that if you don't have quality 3 point shooters, or a big with reliable post moves, then a smart D can leave you nothing but mid-range. That's exactly what we saw this year.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
Enjoyed the pod as usual. One thing I take issue with though is the idea that we need a new offensive philosophy or a specialized offensive assistant coach. In particular the idea that a new coach would help the team take the statistically more valuable shots doesn't ring true. I would bet the proverbial farm that Pike and co. 100% know that mid-range shots don't pay and know how to capitalize on that info. They aren't dumb.

So much of good offense is making the D take hard choices (e.g. play tight on the perimeter or protect the rim). If you don't have a legit perimeter threat, nothing, I mean nothing is going to work for you.

It seems patently obvious that if you don't have quality 3 point shooters, or a big with reliable post moves, then a smart D can leave you nothing but mid-range. That's exactly what we saw this year.
This - unfortunately, midrange is where the guys we have are most successful putting the ball through the hoop - some even on an effective basis. We’re that bad at finishing lay ups and making perimeter shots.

Reactions: Eagleton96
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT