ADVERTISEMENT

Throwback to the 2012 Uniform Release

These unis could’ve worked if Rutgers were allowed to mix and match. But Nike didn’t allow Flood to do that, which was why that always went All Salmon, All White, or All Black.

Only way they would work is with gasoline and a match...
I mostly don't care about uniforms. But those salmon ones made it extremely difficult to read the numbers in the stadium. Which was annoying. Who designs uniforms with hard to read numbering? And who accepts them?

Reactions: BuckRU
I just threw up in my mouth
If memory serves me correct, wasn’t Gregg behind this? Or at least supporting it.?

My thoughts have never been about what happens on the field with regard to a uniform.

IMO it’s more of does it (the look) work or not. In this particular case, it did not.

Those battlescarred helmets were great and should be used on occasion. They were specially made by Hydro Graphics, Inc. (HGI).

-be18032c263d15de.jpg

-041e808c78476003.JPG

p%2001%20WEB%20Helmet.jpg

True story ...

I once had my account banned on this very message board forum by the previous ownership/management (who totally never played favorites) because I posted a photoshop of Schiano coaching in red pajamas in my signature file and refused to take it down. The forum intelligentsia at the time had a meltdown because nobody was allowed to make fun of our Salmon Jammies.

Also, the Hog Boys loved our chrome helmets ...

Last edited:
I always liked the idea of the old school pat patriot uniforms repurposed with a Betsy Ross block R on the helmet. The scarlet knight on horseback and the revolutionary war era soldiers are conflicting too many different time periods for me 🤣. Rutgers’/New Jersey’s historical significance is not something many can claim in college sports.

The all whites with chrome did not suck.

Anything with that salmon color sucked.

Anyone remember the foolish argument that the uniforms used the official Pantone color defined in some official Rutgers style guide? There were 2 things wrong with that..

1) The color was chosen for print purposes because a bright scarlet red on bright white paper is unreadable.. same for bright white lettering on bright scarlet red on signage.

2) the silver/gray score marks on the shoulders and numbers and letters serve to BLEND the gray and red thereby making the salmon look.. and that doesn't even consider the color of the light from the sun, clouds or stadium lights. But this si why the all-whites worked... the silver/gray was dark enough to see against the bright white.. and even if it blended a little bit it still showed as white.

As for "approval" of the unis... contracts for support from Nike were probably mostly to blame. There has to be some pressure to change things, shake things up.. sell more new and different "official" products. We might have more say in the matter with Adidas... though I suspect there is competition among the big Ten's many red and white schools to not have too-similar looking colors and uniforms. Any conflicts probably go the way of the more valuable contract.. more valuable to Addidas.

• Big Ten
    • Nike: 50% (Illinois, Iowa, MSU, Minnesota, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, Purdue, USC)
    • Jordan: 11.1% (Michigan, UCLA)
    • Adidas: 22.2% (Indiana, Nebraska, Rutgers, Washington)
    • Under Armour: 16.7% (Maryland, Northwestern, Wisconsin)

Last edited:
Reactions: Morrischiano
We need to bring back the Slammin' Salmon Jammies!

And let's not forget the Battle Scars!!!

G46cEXq.jpg

the chrome helmets were good. The rest of the uniforms were pretty ugly.

The chrome helmets were cheesy as hell. The only uniform combo that was acceptable in that era was the white ones with white helmets.

Those are my favorite as well, but I do like how the RUTGERS across the front on the current jerseys is at least the same font as the block R. I wish we could have that wordmark with the old block numbers from 2006.

Reactions: BuckRU
Damn, I forgot we were a Nike school at one point...

The chrome battle scares with a Scarlet R are pretty dope in my opinion.

Damn, I forgot we were a Nike school at one point...

The chrome battle scares with a Scarlet R are pretty dope in my opinion.
Imagine the uproar on these boards if the Chrome Dome and Salmon Jerseys were made by Adidas!!!

For me, it was the "polo shirt collar sticking out of the sweater" look that made the uniforms look silly. They are Div 1 FBS uniforms, not business-casual-ish. And the battle scars on the shoulders were a ridiculous 2010's fad like the teams with diamond plate shoulders.

Reactions: robcac26
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT