ADVERTISEMENT

Top 50 Backup Quarterbacks In College Football

Interesting to see who Snyder is rated above, knowing it is an arbitrary list.

Reactions: madchuck
I feel like if we just recruited the Houston metro area for it's 5th best QB every year, we'd be making out in the long run. It seems like the 3rd string quarterbacks on Texas Tech and SMU (and North Texas, and TCU, and Univ of Houston) are always better than what we have. And somewhere in Houston is a kid with an arm who wants to live near NYC.

I feel like if we just recruited the Houston metro area for it's 5th best QB every year, we'd be making out in the long run. It seems like the 3rd string quarterbacks on Texas Tech and SMU (and North Texas, and TCU, and Univ of Houston) are always better than what we have. And somewhere in Houston is a kid with an arm who wants to live near NYC.
I don’t follow recruiting but always feel along with Cali..B12 country is a good area for good passing qbs.

Reactions: eddynyse
Anthony Russo at MSU is not only not ahead of Snyder but he isn’t even on the list. Interesting, maybe.

Reactions: madchuck
What happened to spencer rattler. Wasn't he all BIG12 last year with great numbers and a projected top pick in this years draft.
What did i miss?

Reactions: Knight Shift
What happened to spencer rattler. Wasn't he all BIG12 last year with great numbers and a projected top pick in this years draft.
What did i miss?
It’s only been 1.5 games but Caleb Williams has been great. Poise, mobility etc and only a freshman. The offense through these last 1.5 games looks like a typical Riley high powered offense. Rattler for whatever reason hasn’t been as effective and turns the ball over a little too much as well. I think he had 2 TOs in the Texas game before he was benched. He’s still involving Rattler in plays here and there but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t transfer eventually.

It’s only been 1.5 games but Caleb Williams has been great. Poise, mobility etc and only a freshman. The offense through these last 1.5 games looks like a typical Riley high powered offense. Rattler for whatever reason hasn’t been as effective and turns the ball over a little too much as well. I think he had 2 TOs in the Texas game before he was benched. He’s still involving Rattler in plays here and there but I’d be surprised if he doesn’t transfer eventually.
Amazing. Your all big 12 first team. A projected number 1 pick. You throw two picks in September and your benched.

Amazing. Your all big 12 first team. A projected number 1 pick. You throw two picks in September and your benched.
It wasn’t just that game it’s been happening during the season where he’s made mistakes and the offense wasn’t humming. He’s been benched in game before but brought back in game, it’s not the first time. I think it may have even happened last season as well. But those benchings were more of a trying to ignite a spark…this time may be more permanent.

KK had to move aside Baker Mayfield at one time too. He was walk on who was going to get a scholarship but he made it seem like he wasn’t sad an excuse to transfer. I think there was another qb too I forget who now. But who were they making way for….Patrick Mahomes. So it can happen and it can work out for everyone too. Again like I said in another thread…B12 country is a good place to find good passing qbs.

The kid Rutgers fans might want to keep an eye on is OSU true FR Kyle McCord - I believe he is from Philadelphia. He was a 5-star on the 247 - 2021 Composite. I've watched him a couple of times already and he's bigtime - can really spin the ball. He had an intense battle with Stroud for OSU's starting position and also has former 4-star Jack Miller and the much publicized no.1 recruit, 5-star Ewers from Texas also on the roster. To say that QB room is stacked is a massive understatement. My point; one or two will be hitting the portal and that Philly kid might be just what Rutgers needs.

Like I said only 1.5 games so far for Williams but some snippets from an ESPN article.

In Oklahoma's first five games of the season, they averaged 6.3 yards per play, which ranked 40th in the FBS. Against Texas, when Rattler was on the field, the Sooners averaged 5.6 yards per play. With Williams at the helm, they averaged 9.7 yards. Add in the full TCU game, and OU is averaging 9.4 yards per play with Williams, which would be No. 1 in the FBS over the whole season (Coastal Carolina leads at 8.8).

Rattler has averaged 7.2 air yards per pass attempt this season, 113th out of 125 FBS quarterbacks who have the qualified number of attempts. Williams averages 11.5 yards in the air, which would rank ninth in the country and second among Power 5 quarterbacks if he qualified. On passes of 10 or more yards downfield, Rattler had thrown two touchdowns and five interceptions. Williams has already thrown five touchdowns (with no INTs) in 29 such attempts.

Kennedy Brooks has been a beneficiary of the pressure that Williams, who is a much more dynamic running threat than Rattler, puts on defenses. The Sooners didn't have a 100-yard rusher for the first five games of the season. But Brooks ran for 217 yards against Texas and added 20 carries for 153 yards against TCU, thanks in part to the threat Williams presents. In those first five games, Brooks had just seven carries on zone-read rushes. In the past two games, 33 of Brooks' 45 carries have been on zone reads, going for 262 yards.

The kid Rutgers fans might want to keep an eye on is OSU true FR Kyle McCord - I believe he is from Philadelphia. He was a 5-star on the 247 - 2021 Composite. I've watched him a couple of times already and he's bigtime - can really spin the ball. He had an intense battle with Stroud for OSU's starting position and also has former 4-star Jack Miller and the much publicized no.1 recruit, 5-star Ewers from Texas also on the roster. To say that QB room is stacked is a massive understatement. My point; one or two will be hitting the portal and that Philly kid might be just what Rutgers needs.
You aware is dad was a RU QB? Three huge questions....

1. Would he transfer here with Wimsatt as the heir apparent?

2. Would he want to play behind this OL?

3. If he does enter the portal wouldn't he be on much better situations must get lists?

Last edited:
I always worry when this designation has been made. What if the kid doesn't pan out, or takes longer to adjust to the pressures of college?
Have said the similar. This story has played out here before too with other recruits expectations were pinned on. I see a lot of hopes pinned on GW but in reality he's an unknown quantity. So much shouldn't be put on a particular recruit or transfer. Having options is a good thing imo.

I always worry when this designation has been made. What if the kid doesn't pan out, or takes longer to adjust to the pressures of college?

And I think that if this transfer was even seriously considered by RU he'd have a Kentucky uniform on next fall.

Here’s a question from the Mandel’s mailbag in the athletic that seems appropriate given the discussions that happen here often.

Why do so many “good” coaches have such a hard time figuring who their best QBs are? It took Dan Mullen too long to finally use Anthony Richardson. Kirby Smart arguably cost his team a championship letting Justin Fields walk. Brian Kelly seems to just be making it up as he goes this season. Even Lincoln Riley, the gold standard of QB development, took too long to start Caleb Williams. Could fear of the transfer portal be causing teams to play worse QBs just to stop them from leaving? — Chris M, Phoenix

It’s a great question, and frankly one of the great mysteries of college football. How is it that the Oklahoma student section knew Williams should be playing sooner than Lincoln Riley? How is that every fan watching on TV could tell during Florida’s first two games that Richardson was something special, but Mullen barely used him again until last weekend?

Part of it is that we’re only seeing a tiny fraction of what the coaches are seeing. They’ve been watching these guys every day in practice for months. They sit in meetings and film sessions with them and have a better sense of how much each guy understands the offense. They see how they interact with their teammates on a day-in, day-out basis.

But quarterback may be the one position where you can’t accurately replicate game circumstances on the practice field. The QBs don’t get hit. A guy like Williams, who can really run, barely gets to show that because the plays get blown dead so early. And of course, making the right read during a half-speed practice with very little pressure is an entirely different deal than executing on Saturday in front of 90,000 screaming fans, with the other team’s defenders coming at you full speed.

I also think coaches tend to be overcautious when it comes to playing younger QBs. I’m sure it was obvious to Kirby Smart and everyone else at Georgia during Justin Fields’ freshman year that he had far more upside than Jake Fromm. And I’m also sure that he lived in great fear that Fields might go out there and throw interceptions that cost him a game, whereas Fromm — who people don’t remember was the fifth-rated passer in the country as a sophomore — had shown he was dependable and largely mistake-free.

And yes, the transfer portal now looms over everything these guys do. It may be that Riley knew all along he’d switch to Williams at some point, but if he did it too early in the season, Rattler might leave. And he needs both of them in case of injury.

In Riley’s case, he was very fortunate that Oklahoma never lost before finally switching to Williams, so Rattler’s poor play didn’t cost the Sooners anything. But you have to wonder whether Florida might have fared better, particularly in its loss at Kentucky, if Richardson had taken over sooner. And perhaps Notre Dame’s offense would have figured out its identity sooner if Kelly could have just picked one guy and stuck with him.

Reactions: beaced
These players are outstanding. In my opinion, the best Quarterback on this list is Anthony Richardson. He is from Florida, and I believe that he will continue his career in Football. He is very talented and always makes good decisions during that game. Most of all, I like that he is calm in real life, but during the game, he is highly aggressive and does everything possible for getting the win. I found out about him when I was searching for some free picks on wunderdog.com. Since then, I started to follow his career.

Last edited:
There is no way Snyder is better than Keene, Guarantano or Milton. And I’ll assume he’s not better than the backups for TX and ND. Where do people come up with this type of list?!

A random fan list. It's worthless.

Reactions: beaced
Have said the similar. This story has played out here before too with other recruits expectations were pinned on. I see a lot of hopes pinned on GW but in reality he's an unknown quantity. So much shouldn't be put on a particular recruit or transfer. Having options is a good thing imo.
Having a GOOD BACK UP is ALWAYS a good thing.

Here’s a question from the Mandel’s mailbag in the athletic that seems appropriate given the discussions that happen here often.

Why do so many “good” coaches have such a hard time figuring who their best QBs are? It took Dan Mullen too long to finally use Anthony Richardson. Kirby Smart arguably cost his team a championship letting Justin Fields walk. Brian Kelly seems to just be making it up as he goes this season. Even Lincoln Riley, the gold standard of QB development, took too long to start Caleb Williams. Could fear of the transfer portal be causing teams to play worse QBs just to stop them from leaving? — Chris M, Phoenix

It’s a great question, and frankly one of the great mysteries of college football. How is it that the Oklahoma student section knew Williams should be playing sooner than Lincoln Riley? How is that every fan watching on TV could tell during Florida’s first two games that Richardson was something special, but Mullen barely used him again until last weekend?

Part of it is that we’re only seeing a tiny fraction of what the coaches are seeing. They’ve been watching these guys every day in practice for months. They sit in meetings and film sessions with them and have a better sense of how much each guy understands the offense. They see how they interact with their teammates on a day-in, day-out basis.

But quarterback may be the one position where you can’t accurately replicate game circumstances on the practice field. The QBs don’t get hit. A guy like Williams, who can really run, barely gets to show that because the plays get blown dead so early. And of course, making the right read during a half-speed practice with very little pressure is an entirely different deal than executing on Saturday in front of 90,000 screaming fans, with the other team’s defenders coming at you full speed.

I also think coaches tend to be overcautious when it comes to playing younger QBs. I’m sure it was obvious to Kirby Smart and everyone else at Georgia during Justin Fields’ freshman year that he had far more upside than Jake Fromm. And I’m also sure that he lived in great fear that Fields might go out there and throw interceptions that cost him a game, whereas Fromm — who people don’t remember was the fifth-rated passer in the country as a sophomore — had shown he was dependable and largely mistake-free.

And yes, the transfer portal now looms over everything these guys do. It may be that Riley knew all along he’d switch to Williams at some point, but if he did it too early in the season, Rattler might leave. And he needs both of them in case of injury.

In Riley’s case, he was very fortunate that Oklahoma never lost before finally switching to Williams, so Rattler’s poor play didn’t cost the Sooners anything. But you have to wonder whether Florida might have fared better, particularly in its loss at Kentucky, if Richardson had taken over sooner. And perhaps Notre Dame’s offense would have figured out its identity sooner if Kelly could have just picked one guy and stuck with him.
Good stuff.Thanks.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT