ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Patterson 2021 Recruit

Great to see Pike out there on the trail despite people worrying about the lack of rumors on the assistant and transfer fronts

Good, but, Pikiell should be interviewing...unless he wants to hire Jersey guy Mike Nardi from my hometown of Linden.

I think we overestimate assistants a little bit. The best recruiters at Rutgers right now are Steve Pikiell and Geo Baker

Reactions: dkostus
Rutgers needs a winning season to really improve recruiting.Negative recruiting against Rutgers will continue until that happens .Coach Pikiell ,staff and players have to overcome perception and the reality that recruits have choices that puts Rutgers at a disadvantage in many cases.Its nor for a lack of effort on Rutgers part but rather the NCAA appearances for other teams.Winning really matters in sports because that drives recruiting in big time college athletics.

Good, but, Pikiell should be interviewing...unless he wants to hire Jersey guy Mike Nardi from my hometown of Linden.

I yelled at him yesterday and told him to stay away from our recruits.

BTW, We claimed him as one of our own in Avenel when he became a sophomore in high school.

I yelled at him yesterday and told him to stay away from our recruits.

BTW, We claimed him as one of our own in Avenel when he became a sophomore in high school.

And, then he left both cities behind to go to St. Patrick's.

I think we overestimate assistants a little bit. The best recruiters at Rutgers right now are Steve Pikiell and Geo Baker
Disagree. In fact, I think we don't give them enough credit. I know Pikiell firmly believes they don't receive enough credit.

As for Pikiell and Baker, obviously, they do their fair share of recruiting, but, to be sure, it's not just them. I spoke at length with Jacob Young at a recent event. I asked him if he had any connection to Rutgers and what convinced him to come to RU after his decision to leave Texas. He said he had absolutely no connection to Rutgers. He said the staff is the reason he's a Scarlet Knight. When I asked him about Brandin Knight his eyes lit up and he emphatically said, "That's my boy!" Make no mistake, there's no need to look any further than Knight to see why JY is on the banks.

We literally don't have a shot at this kid. Unless he doesn't progress as a player he is a top 20 recruit. I have met the kid, and my friend coached him for the last 3 seasons in AAU and HS. He wants to go to Duke Kentucky or UNC. He doesn't have much interest in RU, he may give them some courtesy as the local school but he isn't seriously considering us.

We literally don't have a shot at this kid. Unless he doesn't progress as a player he is a top 20 recruit. I have met the kid, and my friend coached him for the last 3 seasons in AAU and HS. He wants to go to Duke Kentucky or UNC. He doesn't have much interest in RU, he may give them some courtesy as the local school but he isn't seriously considering us.

It's a long way till his signing day. Who knows what could happen.

You have to appear to be trying to get these guys, and maybe have media putting you out there as a possibility, long before it actually happens. If any of you think we're missing out on something else because of resources diverted here, than you're deluded.

Reactions: higgins3
IMO, Two things will factor into his recruitment....getting to the Tourney and who Rutgers brings in with the 4 spots for 2019/2020 class. So....get Cliff O or another big time 4 star player.

If those four spots are filled with very good players, the chances are better with this 2021 recruit if he sees a team with a very talented roster.

Who knows. Two years from now Coach K could retire. He is not young, Temple coach just retired and he is younger. Two years things can change.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Who knows. Two years from now Coach K could retire. He is not young, Temple coach just retired and he is younger. Two years things can change.

The poster above said not only Duke, he said Kentucky and UNC. I don’t think coach K retiring is going to have him drop his goals much, unless he doesn’t develop and doesn’t get those schools attention

The poster above said not only Duke, he said Kentucky and UNC. I don’t think coach K retiring is going to have him drop his goals much, unless he doesn’t develop and doesn’t get those schools attention
There remains a strong correlation with top tier recruits choosing perceived elite schools because of prior success.Rutgers must first achieve a winning season and then a NCAA bid before having realistic chances of attracting a recruit like Patterson.

Reactions: toby83 and wheezer
There remains a strong correlation with top tier recruits choosing perceived elite schools because of prior success.Rutgers must first achieve a winning season and then a NCAA bid before having realistic chances of attracting a recruit like Patterson.
----
agreed... if a recruit starts out with a list like this recruit has, and is then wanted by those programs, we could just about forget about it, for now....we would have to win first, go to the tourney as a regular course of action....etc

we can do very well for now, getting players slightly below that level, if we have the right coach and staff..

Reactions: RUJMM78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT