ADVERTISEMENT

Tune Into ESPN3 Tomorrow, 1pm To See Corey, Deshawn And CJ...

DirtyRU

All American
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2002
... play in TBT (The Basketball Tournament). Deep tourney with tons of really good ex-college and some ex-NBA guys. Here is their roster:

https://www.thetournament.com/teams/playing-jimmy-v-v-foundation

Ex-managers (Matt, Alex and Shoes' son Vinny) are the coaches. Q and Eddie Jordan are boosters.

Bashir Ahmed (ex-Johnnie that we recruited), Jason Dunne (ex-Hartford guard who beat us at the RAC with that game winner), Kenny Gaines (ex-Georgia player who can really ball) are some of the others on the team.

Thanks for posting this...watchespn app free for direct TV subscribers. They are playing a team with all Philly area players. If they win go up against isaac Haas on sat.

Def some guys you will know on these teams

https://www.thetournament.com/teams

Wow just read they got 7k in Wichita last night for one of these games. Cuse team tonight prob see big crowd also.

Biggest takeaway from TBT (not just this game) is how much coaching matters. So much poorly-run offense and lackluster defensive effort.

Biggest takeaway from TBT (not just this game) is how much coaching matters. So much poorly-run offense and lackluster defensive effort.
Biggest takeaway for me is how much the refs swallow their whistles.

Stop me if you've heard this one... the team with Rutgers players is getting run off the court because the other team is way better shooting the 3.

If Gettys was in that kind of shape in college, he would have been a first round pick and he would have never played at Wilmington or RU.

bizarre rule at the end there

4 minute mark the stop the game and turn off the clock...they set a "Target Score" based on current winning's team score...+7. then play to that #.
to eliminate the fouling i suppose.

Freeman actually played a solid game. Problem is everyone else struggled. Sigh. Not a fair matchup tho, that Philly team all knows each other and has played together before. Our squad simply has not.

Freeman actually played a solid game. Problem is everyone else struggled. Sigh. Not a fair matchup tho, that Philly team all knows each other and has played together before. Our squad simply has not.
I actually thought Freeman was frustrating to watch. Terrible defense, bad turnovers. Corey wasn't as aggressive as he used to be. Still has the athleticism, but the swagger was missing. I also chalk up the overall result to bad coaching. Game was pretty sloppy

I actually thought Freeman was frustrating to watch. Terrible defense, bad turnovers. Corey wasn't as aggressive as he used to be. Still has the athleticism, but the swagger was missing. I also chalk up the overall result to bad coaching. Game was pretty sloppy

We saw what happens when Corey is off the call. Yikes. And Freeman still doesn’t know how and where he should get buckets. Auto waste of position with the ball in his hands.

Makes you wonder how Pike had that team playing with their hair of fire in that big tournament.

Sanders did not play well, 1 for 10 from field

Seeing TBT games--Boeheim's Army is playing poorly right now--brings home the sheer number of skilled guards playing professionally. Guys that can run, shoot, pass, drive and even defend a little, which they don't seem to do much in TBT. Corey Sanders as a junior was much the player he was as a freshman. Great assets but he never responded to coaching. Just played his own game, even after being set down a few times. Great run in the B1G tournament that showed what could have been. So now he is running up against a myriad of guys his size that are far more advanced than he is in their skills, trying to catch on as a pro. There are a zillion guys his size and far more skilled that are playing professionally. Get your degree and become a HS coach. He can tell them what happens if you have all those physical assets but don't listen to your coaches.
TL

Reactions: higgins3
That makes no sense. He would be in the nba today then with that logic

Im not saying he would have stuck but he def. would have gotten drafted. He’s a 7 footer with some skill.

Some first rounders don’t pan out. Look at Wade Baldwin.

I am shocked. 1-10 is not good no matter how you cut it. Some people act like we would have been so much better if Corey stayed. He made his decision and our freshmen played a lot and improved. I think it was best for our team development. This reminds me of his game against Illinois at Illinois. He was great in some games and poor in some others.

Sanders needs to find a trainer that will elevate his game and not his ego.

Watched most of the game (q2-4) they did not look good at all. Too much ISO not chemistry.

bizarre rule at the end there

4 minute mark the stop the game and turn off the clock...they set a "Target Score" based on current winning's team score...+7. then play to that #.
to eliminate the fouling i suppose.

I forgot about this.

It’s called “The Elam Ending”.
First stoppage under 4min, clock turned off and target score set at +8 of leading team.

Exactly what you guessed - eliminate the back and forth fouling.
Also ensures the game ends on a “game winning basketball”.
No just running out the clock.

Would be interesting to see an NBA preseason game try it.
Or maybe the NIT/lower postseason tournament.

Team had barely played together prior to yesterday's game. Barely knew each other's strengths and weaknesses, unlike some of the other teams in this tournament. That explains the lack of chemistry and some sloppy play.

Also, the Elam ending assures there is never overtime.

I think it’s a great idea. The data shows that fouling at the end of the game almost never works, less than 2% of the time, yet game after game is prolonged as a foul shooting contest.

I forgot about this.

It’s called “The Elam Ending”.
First stoppage under 4min, clock turned off and target score set at +8 of leading team.

Exactly what you guessed - eliminate the back and forth fouling.
Also ensures the game ends on a “game winning basketball”.
No just running out the clock.

Would be interesting to see an NBA preseason game try it.
Or maybe the NIT/lower postseason tournament.

Sanders needs to find a trainer that will elevate his game and not his ego.
I am not going to hold my breath on that happening. There have always been too many people in his ear telling him how great he is, how underrated he is and that anyone that disagrees is a hater.

I like Corey but you guys saw it for yourself, by the time you left Rutgers he still couldn't go to his left effectively. Which is kind of important considering the position he plays.

I do hope he comes back and gets his degree at some point. No matter how long it takes finish what you start.

Saw Mike Poole playing yesterday for Iona team. He looks the same however but is actually going slightly bald.

I am not going to hold my breath on that happening. There have always been too many people in his ear telling him how great he is, how underrated he is and that anyone that disagrees is a hater.

I like Corey but you guys saw it for yourself, by the time you left Rutgers he still couldn't go to his left effectively. Which is kind of important considering the position he plays.

I do hope he comes back and gets his degree at some point. No matter how long it takes finish what you start.

His inability to go left was only a small issue. The bigger issues were the inability to pass when penetrating and his inability to shoot from the outside.

Reactions: Russ Wood
The team that they lost to went on to win the region, defeating Armored Athlete (with Isaac Haas, JP Tokoto, Xavier Rathan-Myers, and Archie Goodwin) and Boeheim's Army (a Syracuse alumni team that had home-court advantage since it was played in a community college arena near Syracuse).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT