ADVERTISEMENT

Vegas tournament in jeopardy

I think it's doubtful it falls through. How the money will be distributed needs to be determined. All eight teams competing in the event need to play three games. It's too late for all the schools to schedule other games.

If it does fall through, I'm sure the schools involved will negotiate to play each other... where and when the games would be played is what would need to be figured out.

Last edited:
I think it's doubtful it falls through. How the money will be distributed needs to be determined. All eight teams competing in the event need to play three games. It's too late for all the schools to schedule other games.

If it does fall through, I'm sure the schools involved will negotiate to play each other... where and when the games would be played is what would need to be figured out.
I can guess where they WON’T be played. ☹️

I’m confused. Can someone explain what the restrictions are exactly?

Money is always fungible - isn’t it? Can’t the money go to the schools and be earmarked for other university initiatives? Then the money that was budgeted for those other initiatives could be used to find a way to get the athletes paid (I thought the schools can pay players now - I can’t keep up with the changes?)

Feel like they need to figure this out pretty quick. Most importantly so the 8 teams can figure out WTF they'll do instead if it falls through, but also so us fans can plan trips before everyone gets priced out with crazy Thanksgiving flight prices.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
And people really say "but we need to preserve the NCAA and how college athletics has been operating".

1. Pay for play is allowed. Additonal pay for success is even allowed.
Check out the other major MTEs.
If the money was going directly to the school there would be no issue.

If the NCAA us actually concerned about pay for play, then why is it allowed for teams?

Whats the point or objective of the rule?

2. The two teams from the same conference is crap. Why is that a rule? Is it so that two conference teams don't play in out of conference? Then the structure is good and the rule should be changed. Again, NCAA needs say what the point of the rule is.

"“Even if the MTE is structured in such a way (e.g., divisions/brackets) in which two teams from the same conference will not play each other, two teams from the same conference may not participate in the same MTE,” the association wrote."

I read it less how the individual players are going to be paid but how the NCAA is going to be paid. They want to make sure they get their cut. If it flows to NCAA member institutions they can impose a fee/tax if it flows directly to player (which was what was discussed) there is less ability to impose a fee.

• Wow
Reactions: rubigtimenow
This quote from the article LocalShill linked doesn't make me feel too optimistic: "Despite being only three months away, the seemingly exorbitant first-time event has yet to publicly announce its sponsors, a broadcast or streaming partner or its schedule slate."
I feel "sponsors, a broadcast or streaming partner or its schedule slate." will be more of a reason for it to be canceled than anything the NCAA threatens to do.
NCAA tires something and they will be paying once they lose the lawsuit against them for stopping this event

Reactions: Skull83
Lol they aren't really going to have a choice - either all 8 teams will have to work together or they have to fill their schedules with whatever garbage is left to play games against.
That’s part of the worst case scenario I’m talking about.

The others involved probably already have a decent OOC and can afford a cupcake or two.

Last edited:
Aubrey Plaza Ifc GIF by Film Independent Spirit Awards

Paging @kcg88
Not rooting for this but dude waved the flag early on this.

I really hope there is a gentlemen’s agreement that these schools agree to play each other for home - home.
Can’t imagine this makes the NIL situation easier is they were counting on this scratch….yeesh.

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT