ADVERTISEMENT

Football VIDEO: Greg Schiano halftime speech

Just wondering, Has he EVER used that tone in public with a non-player audience? I was in the audience in his earliest days when he was optimistic, but still restrained by the size of the task.

Last edited:
Loved it but going forward he could leave out the "if you have money we need it"

Nah, this is the one context that is ok in - the context of speaking to sports fans who are choosing to spend their income to see a sporting event.....they’re wearing the gear, they’re buying the concessions.....

it’s not the same context as saying that to a group of undergrads and faculty members/

Reactions: RUonBrain
I have no problem with him asking for money. The sound on the first one is bad.

Nice speech.

Happy it worked out and he’s back.

It's amazing what eight years of life will do for a person who reflects on how to be better as time marches on.

Yes, that’s what I am trying to ask here - has anyone seen this side to his personality utilized in public before? Not some locker room pep talk on film, but him talking to fans on that level of intensity? PJ seems like the only guy who does this.

I loved many things he said and the statement he made. Our program is more broken then it ever has been since 2000 and while Ash came in 2 years after a 8-5 season and over a decade of winning and bowl games- Ash said we were broken and it would be a complete rebuild. Greg comes in and says we are NOT broken and reminded the people that he promised NC's last time and got us as high as number 7...but that was not number 1 and that is where he will get us.
I had some initial doubts about him coming back but there is no doubt he plans on making a statement. Even challenging the student section to be the craziest in the B1G! that was great

I enjoyed his comments at his introductory press conference better. Maybe it was the time allotted but this seemed a little over the top. Can't he just say we are going to compete for Big Ten championships rather than we are going to strive to be #1 in the country? Still a very high bar but a little more realistic. In essence it gets you close to the same place if you are successful. He has said this a couple of times and prefaces it by saying that people laugh about it and then says they got to #7, but its not like he was consistently at that level.

I just think that given where we are, it does cause outsiders to snicker and not take him seriously. I think even the TV guys were like Whoa did he really say that? Having said that its clear he is all in at this point, which is a good thing.

OK fire away as I am sure this post is not going to get many likes.

Reactions: beaced
I enjoyed his comments at his introductory press conference better. Maybe it was the time allotted but this seemed a little over the top. Can't he just say we are going to compete for Big Ten championships rather than we are going to strive to be #1 in the country? Still a very high bar but a little more realistic. In essence it gets you close to the same place if you are successful. He has said this a couple of times and prefaces it by saying that people laugh about it and then says they got to #7, but its not like he was consistently at that level.

I just think that given where we are, it does cause outsiders to snicker and not take him seriously. I think even the TV guys were like Whoa did he really say that? Having said that its clear he is all in at this point, which is a good thing.

OK fire away as I am sure this post is not going to get many likes.
Over the top?? He has to yell into the microphone because people were going bonkers. He was feeding off the crowds enthusiasm. I doubt any that was there live would even remotely think it was over the top.

OK fire away as I am sure this post is not going to get many likes./QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
He is more exciting his time than before. I think his experience at Tampa and OSU has develop his approach.
That, and perhaps the biggest aspect of it was the overwhelming response he got from the fan base to bring him back, even after an eight year absence. He may have been thinking that after leaving us for Tampa, six days before signing day, we would be indignant about his return, a la Tennessee. We were the opposite, clamoring for his return, so much so that the governor--the GOVERNOR!--got involved. The result is having a nationally-known coach who may want to complete his coaching career here, and a fan base that knows what it means to coalesce and have ownership in the program. We will donate more, among other things, and begin the legitimate process of no longer being a sleeping giant, but the awakened giant. We shall see. But it's manifest that we're tired of being beaten down, and now we know that part of the burden of success rests with us.

That's what his return has done so far, and now it remains to be seen if it plays out well. My gut says it will.

I actually kind of like that he said directly to the fans that we made it happen. That was sort of his "I'm Baaack" to everyone else at Rutgers that doesn't understand what it is like to have the Head Football coach be the person driving the bus...Hobbs, Barchi and everyone else just got the Greg notice that HE is the man...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT