ADVERTISEMENT

Football VIDEO: Greg Schiano talks Indiana postgame

My wife is not a big football fan, but she knows enough to know when she is being bullshat. Every time Greg talks about “chopping the moment,“ she rolls her eyes.

Reactions: MikeRU09
My wife is not a big football fan, but she knows enough to know when she is being bullshat. Every time Greg talks about “chopping the moment,“ she rolls her eyes.
Actually, of all the stuff coaches BS about in these press conferences, the point they all stress about remaining in the moment, chopping or focusing or whatever they choose to call it, is 100% not BS. It’s probably the single most important skill any athlete can develop.

Divorce is always an option when it gets this bad.
I'd book in a moment if those words came out of my wife's mouth. OTOH, my wife wields a mean axe and proudly wears one of these.

10k_gold-Axe_Charm.jpg

their was a discussion recently about Brown and his success.
I spoke about how it took Ray Rice 6 games to put it all together, and son of a gun looks like Sam Brown is right on schedule.

Actually, of all the stuff coaches BS about in these press conferences, the point they all stress about remaining in the moment, chopping or focusing or whatever they choose to call it, is 100% not BS. It’s probably the single most important skill any athlete can develop.
Exactly right. My kids are not interested in following sports, but I have pointed out to them that there are small (and sometimes big) life lessons to be learned from watching sports and the stories that unfold in games and in seasons. Even if you are not a fan, the can be fantastic vignettes to use as lessons in life.

Chopping the moment is a great phrase- Greg also said, referring to the Nebraska loss: "That was as hard a loss as I can remember . . . .That really hurt. It hurt the kids and hurt the coaches. And to be able to start out [Indiana game] the way it did and overcome that, there are guys downstairs who are starting to see what that means. After the game last week, I told them we need to get better. It's not complicated. I gotta coach better, you gotta play better. We got better. . . . . We have to get better this week.. . . . . The two biggest bandits I know are the past and the future. They steal from now and we couldn't let that loss get us twice and we can't let the future get us. . . . We need to chop the moment."

In 2014-15, I got kicked hard to the curb twice with a health scare and then a huge professional loss. Rather than dwell on one or both events, I focused on the present, not what had happened or might happen in the future (such as losing my source of income). My health improved, our business improved, and both are stronger than they were nearly 10 years ago. No, I was not thinking about chopping the moment, but reflecting on what Greg said in his presser and quoted above, it makes a lot of sense to me. YMMV.

their was a discussion recently about Brown and his success.
I spoke about how it took Ray Rice 6 games to put it all together, and son of a gun looks like Sam Brown is right on schedule.
6 games ?
I was at UNC watching RU and Ray Rice’s first game. Went off for 200 yards and lead us to victory.

UNC was Ray's Sophomore year. His 1st game was that tough loss to Illinois in 2005.
And Ray did not break the 20 carry mark until his seventh game in 2005. Here's his game log from 2005:

I'm not surprised coach mentions importance of Vedral's defensive reads in the run game (a factor that helped sustain drives),
That's why coach refers to him as the "point guard" of the offense
People underappreciate the mental side of playing QB
I never really got it until I went to some HS games with a HS teammate who was pro QB for 8 years
Lots of QB success happens before the snap and between the ears
That's why Fitzpatrick can be a 7th rounder with 16 year career and #1 pick Jamarcus Russell is all-time Raider bust who had a career of just a few years.
RU wins Iowa with Vedral.
He's not Peyton Manning at TN, but in an offense with holes all over the place he's been a cagey player.
Someone else probably would have had sacks and INTs all over the place

Last edited:
Let me ask you this - you’re dealing with 18-23 year-olds. You’re asking them to execute some pretty tall orders in the face of opponents who are often better and more skilled than they are. The only chance they have of victory is to follow the game plan, focus on their individual tasks, and execute well. They put themselves in a hole early on. How do you quickly convey to the team (a lot of who are working through physical pain) the need to stay in the moment and concentrate on the task at hand? Go to the game thread - read the ridiculous commentary from the middle-aged couch warriors who waved the white flag following the IU first score. These players sucked up the first half, regrouped, came back in the third quarter and did what they had to do to win. So eye-roll away on the marshmallow couch at ‘bullspit’. I’m not the most blindsided GS fan, but The Chop worked yesterday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT