ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling VIDEO: Scott Goodale talks Rutgers Wrestling Media Day (Notes Added)

Hate to hear that Vulakh has to retire, but not completely unexpected given his back problems... really feel for the kid though, that's not an easy thing to deal with at such a young age.

Tired of Nick and all the nonsense. Either wrestle here or don’t. Enough is enough

Is there any information on TV or Internet coverage of our matches? Thanks. $$$$

Is there any information on TV or Internet coverage of our matches? Thanks. $$$$

This Friday's match is on BTN at 7pm, not sure if anything else has been set at this time but since the B1G terminated it's agreement with Flo every match will be on BTN or BTN+ going forward.

Tired of Nick and all the nonsense. Either wrestle here or don’t. Enough is enough

Welp. He’s the best kid on the roster by a mile (I know Rivera is a stud), so if he’s out there you hold out hope that he comes back.

We have never had a kid like Nick before and we may never have one like him again. Ashnault was a great talent, but Nicks body of work in 2 or 3 years was superior to Anthony’s in 6. Two time national finalist with a chance to be a three time finalist and two time national champ.

Glad Goody confirmed that there have been talks with the Surianos.. He emphasized that he totally supports Suriano's decision. Let's continue to keep the lines of communication open.

Look at the other thread about Suriano wrestling in France 1/15 with the USA freestyle team. Gilman and Aranju also wrestling at 57 kg. That answers about him not being there for the RU duals against Mich and PSU. If he needs to quarantine for 14 days there goes the 1/24 quad. I call bs

Do you truly mean this? Because to this point he’s clearly choosing “don’t” and people still continue to be bitter about it

Do you truly mean this? Because to this point he’s clearly choosing “don’t” and people still continue to be bitter about it

I think we see Nick back wrestling for Rutgers at some point. According to the coach, he is still enrolled and there is communication going on between the two. That's good news and it means Nick is at the very least, keeping his options open. I've said it a few times already, as long as the communication is open (and Goody mentioned that) and it doesn't disrupt the team (he mentioned that as well), I'd be glad to have him back and make another run at a second championship as a Scarlet Knight.

Reactions: MS-RU
So would I. If he’s back, awesome. Let him earn the spot back and Rutgers has another chance at a champion.

If he doesn’t come back, thank you for two awesome years and helping to make Rutgers a nationally recognized program.

I think we see Nick back wrestling for Rutgers at some point. According to the coach, he is still enrolled and there is communication going on between the two. That's good news and it means Nick is at the very least, keeping his options open. I've said it a few times already, as long as the communication is open (and Goody mentioned that) and it doesn't disrupt the team (he mentioned that as well), I'd be glad to have him back and make another run at a second championship as a Scarlet Knight.

Not being there and not knowing if he will be there doesn't disrupt the team?

Pretty discouraging sign that Boone is behind Esposito on the depth chart. Esposito was great last year given his low expectations, but still I think we all had higher hopes for Boone by this point. Goodale calling him out for his conditioning earlier this year makes me wonder if he’ll ever be a starter. Have to figure Collucci and Espo will get the first looks again next year if they return, and Kyonte will also be in the room

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Not being there and not knowing if he will be there doesn't disrupt the team?

You don't know the whole story and I don't know the whole story. As a matter of fact, we hardly know any of the story. Goodale might have a very good idea what will happen with Nick in the near future. The dialogue between the coach and the wrestler is all that matters and we don't know their discussions, their concessions, or their thoughts. Goodale said as long as Nick's actions don't disrupt the team, he is welcome back. Based on that, Goodale hasn't kicked Nick of the team, so the conclusion is it's not disrupting the team as much as some might think it is.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Big Ten mismanagement of the wrestling program/schedule is similar to the fiasco with the football season. If the Surianos knew when the season was to begin and when they could have seen how that fit with their freestyle training and tournament aspirations. Putting volleyball before wrestling was a joke.

We should have a better clue of whats going to happen after his tournament in France in 2 weeks...If he wins or places high I dont think he returns this year because he jumps up the ladder into a high seed for trials...If Nick finishes behind Vito and Gillman there I think his chances of making the Olympic team are slim...Have to think the Suriano camp will want to jump on the chance of possibly winning another NCAA title this season...should be interesting

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
Seems Goody is not in the dark at all and I suspect that he was sincere in saying he hopes Nicks dream of Olympics is attainable ....I don’t believe for a minute that if he thought the situation was a negative in the room that he would have said what he said ..as long as team feels that way and coaches feel that way then let it play out and welcome Nick with open arms once the trials are over ...I knew he was in the room back in October and part of the team again and for whatever reason went to Az to train ..it does not appear to be because of hard feelings at all so let’s see how it plays out and as long as Goody is fine with it ..we all should be fine with it

Reactions: Leonard23
Goody also basically de-emphasized the dual meets in terms of wins/losses since it was a shortened season and in conference only. Given that it's a free year for everyone, he mentioned that wrestler development was the #1 priority so I'm going to imagine we are going to see a ton of different lineups especially since there are no open tournaments. He wants the guys to be ready and healthy for the B1Gs and NCAAs and I imagine other teams are going to do the same, so we might miss out on some top match-ups in season unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT