ADVERTISEMENT

'We have more competition at every position than we've ever had'

RU in P-Tucky

Hall of Famer
Jan 14, 2007
One of Flood's recent comments. Truth? Good PR?

My thoughts are that I do think it is real, although there are areas on the roster that obviously are a bit thin still. Also, it is feasible to have a bunch of guys competing that are all just average players and a 2 deep of just average players probably don't win that many games, but.....

Overall Flood has been very aggressive to bring in transfers for depth, which seems will continue to have a big impact. Dill and Toler were successful and now he has seemingly take it to the next level. This fits into what I have been saying for awhile about 'there are things that transcend the star rankings'. Nobody takes these moves into account when looking back at recruiting rankings.
QB - When have we had 3 legit guys competing, this seems like a close to what I have been looking for, for 5+ years. See prior point, regarding Rettig.
RB - Not sure if he have a first round pick on the roster, but he does have a handful of guys who can play and at worst RU's best guy is average in the Big Ten and RU's top 3 is probably closer to top third at worst.
LB - Sh-t happened and he has found a way so to seemingly plug it . Will need to see if this plays out like Dallas Hendrickson/Givens or if he found 2 guys who can hit the ground running at the B1G level. If follows the Dill/Toler path, should be half decent play at worst and hopefully there are 4-5 guys battling for 3 starting spots.
OL - Despite the concerns about the # of guys in the program, it seems that RU has 8 guys competing for 5 spots and this is an improvement as normally RU has had to toss 1-2 guys on the field, often true frosh, before they were ready. While we can't say for sure that all 8 are ready, at least none are true frosh and there have been some good reports on all 8.
WR - Patton-Caroo-Grant-Peele seems like a nice top 4 and Agudosi/Tsimis hopefully can play if called upon. I think the concerns with WR are not for 2015, but beyond.
There are also huge question marks, such as TE, DL, etc. but it does seem that there are a lot of guys competing at least. I recall times in the past where we didn't even have TEs and had to move guys from WR and where DL was depleted due to guys patching up the OL.
This post was edited on 3/29 2:38 PM by RU in P-Tucky

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News