ADVERTISEMENT

Week 2 of our crazy darkhorse season

seels2662

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Aug 17, 2005
I think the last thread went pretty well, so I think I will continue our fun until it doesn't make sense (e.g. if we start losing games). Once again this is just for fun, so there is no need for the "why create a thread when we are never going to make the playoffs" posts.

Boy did Notre Dame help us.

Last week didn't go great for our chances. Our thin red line to get into the playoff got thinner. Iowa lost as I had hoped, but also Michigan lost, Penn State and Oregon didn't look good in wins, all this led to giving the press the excuse to continue their love affair with the SEC giving them 6 of the top 7 spots in the top 25. That is VERY problematic for us. Forget about us if it wasn't for the gift that Notre Dame gave us if the season ended today OREGON would have missed the playoff. This is why we need the SEC to eat their own on conference play. But lets talk about the good things:

-That ND loss is the worst loss I can ever see for them. They went from almost definitely in to almost definitely out. They need to run out now even with just one more loss I can't see a scenario short of total chaos that they get in. If its for example a 10-2 Mississippi State team with losses to Georgia and Tennessee vs ND with that NIU loss, they are taking MSU every time. I'll even argue that this loss may be the starting point of them considering getting into a league because they will be shut out. That opens up a spot in the playoff, which we desperately needed.

-Illinois beating Kansas was a big deal as we want the Big 12 knocked down a notch and at the same time this will give us a quality win on our resume if Illinois is a bowl team at the end of the year.

-Arkansas losing to Oklahoma State gives us another SEC team to root for. As you can see above we now need Arkansas, Texas A&M, LSU, and Florida to win some games against the top SEC teams to knock a few of those out of the playoff

-Syracuse beating GT helped as we need the ACC to be a 1 bid league. We just have to hope Syracuse doesn't go in a run.

-The Iowa and Michigan loses help us in our standings, however rooting against Michigan makes us root for USC, which may be problematic for us, putting us in the 5th spot instead of the 4th spot in the B1G.

The teams we are rooting for next week:

-The game of the week for us is Wisconsin and Alabama. Alabama losing there would be awesome for us.

-It would be also great if BC beats Missouri, but then we have to be careful of BC making a run.

-Same goes with Wake Forest and Ole Miss, but I would be shocked if Wake beats them.

So sit back and enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.