ADVERTISEMENT

What's in a name? - Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey vs. Virginia Polytechnical Institute and State University

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
The official State names of the schools are among the longest in the nation.

Fred Ditmar had the honor to don the Rutgers Chanticleer outfit to start the 1953 season when Virginia Tech visited Rutgers on October 3. This was the “pre-Hokie” V-Tech and "pre-Scarlet Knights" Rutgers that were known by different nicknames. It was the fighting rooster vs. the Fighting Gobblers. The Tuesday’s Targum reported that on Rutgers first play from its 41 yard line, “Fennell hurls a touchdown pass to Steve Johnson. But before passing, he faked such a deceptive hand off to Triggs that he also faked the referee. The ref blew his whistle when Triggs was tackled, killing the play in mid-air and the play was nullified.” Trailing 13-0 at the half, the Chanticleer crowed for the rest of the game and won 20-13. The opening day crowd drew 10,000.

The official State names of the schools are among the longest in the nation.

Fred Ditmar had the honor to don the Rutgers Chanticleer outfit to start the 1953 season when Virginia Tech visited Rutgers on October 3. This was the “pre-Hokie” V-Tech and "pre-Scarlet Knights" Rutgers that were known by different nicknames. It was the fighting rooster vs. the Fighting Gobblers. The Tuesday’s Targum reported that on Rutgers first play from its 41 yard line, “Fennell hurls a touchdown pass to Steve Johnson. But before passing, he faked such a deceptive hand off to Triggs that he also faked the referee. The ref blew his whistle when Triggs was tackled, killing the play in mid-air and the play was nullified.” Trailing 13-0 at the half, the Chanticleer crowed for the rest of the game and won 20-13. The opening day crowd drew 10,000.
Was it a late arriving crowd? How was the DJ?

What was the stadium configuration? I know the North end zone was open. Was the South end zone open too?

Was @beaced at any games int he 1950s?
Stadium capacity was 22,500 with the north end open and four tracks to the left and right of the sideline stands an empty grassy area.
I waved to beaced at the game but he never waved back.

Original Rutgers Stadium:

Stadium capacity was 22,500 with the north end open and four tracks to the left and right of the sideline stands an empty grassy area.

Sorry for ignoring you but the b

I wonder if anyone complained about the Gap in those days. There were not one, but two Gaps!!

I wonder if anyone complained about the Gap in those days. There were not one, but two Gaps!!
There were acutally four open spots (two next to the end zone seats at each end). I believe the Stadium only had a few complete sell outs over the decades.

I know I didn't complain about not being able to sit in those areas. There were not well groomed to sit and watch.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT