ADVERTISEMENT

Football Where does the media think Rutgers Football will finish in the Big Ten?

Did I miss how the conference championship game participants will be selected?
I'm assuming conference record then CFP ranking in the event of a tie?

With so many teams and no set division schedules, I can easily see 3-4 teams with the same records competing for the spots.
Basically turn into the CFP debates about how "deserves" it from similar resumes.

Reactions: RW90
The stars are aligned for us this season.

No games against the #1-#5 teams in the media preseason poll.

An incredibly experienced highly-ranked defense.

Two cupcakes, then two weeks to prepare for VT.
Play Washington in their first road game on a Friday night. They're replacing almost every starter, plus the coaching staff. Long trip east, packed house - get the W.
At Nebraska - limit the killer turnover and make the freshman QB figure out our defense. Good chance for a W.
Wisconsin - home game
UCLA - homecoming! Another long trip east, against a team that is likely 3-3 or worse coming in. We should be favored, no?
At USC - okay, this is a landmine with the 11 PM kickoff on the road.

Bye week - catch your breath.

Minnesota at home, coming off a game at Illinois - so we have the rest advantage. Lots of good storylines here.
At Maryland - they've been a tough matchup for us lately. New QB for the Terps, plus we catch them the week after a trip to Oregon. So that's nice.
Illinois for Senior Day - will Art be at the game? Gotta think our senior-laden D will not let the Illini ruin Senior Day.
At Michigan State - they could be fighting for a bowl on their Senior Day.

Get me 8+ wins, guys! Let's do it!

As always, I just don't get the love for Nebraska
I guess they are looking at returning stats and player numbers.
NU returns 20 offense and defensive starters and both kickers. They return 77% of their offensive production and almost the entire defense that was 11th(RU was 16th) in the country after last season.
The players they lost are being replaced by portal players or in a couple spots by players that were starters but were injured early in the year for the season. They lost 1 DB in the spring game so they signed a DB with a lot of starting experience(former 5*).
It’s obvious that the QB returning starter shouldn’t count even though he is still on the team but has been beat out by the freshmen. It’ll be nice to have a backup QB that has played in 11 games.
Both offensive and defensive lines return everybody that has starting experience.

That would be their rational in my opinion. Every year is different so we shall see.

Did I miss how the conference championship game participants will be selected?
I'm assuming conference record then CFP ranking in the event of a tie?

With so many teams and no set division schedules, I can easily see 3-4 teams with the same records competing for the spots.
Basically turn into the CFP debates about how "deserves" it from similar resumes.
It will be the top two teams in the overall conference standings at the end of the regular season.

I guess they are looking at returning stats and player numbers.
NU returns 20 offense and defensive starters and both kickers. They return 77% of their offensive production and almost the entire defense that was 11th(RU was 16th) in the country after last season.
The players they lost are being replaced by portal players or in a couple spots by players that were starters but were injured early in the year for the season. They lost 1 DB in the spring game so they signed a DB with a lot of starting experience(former 5*).
It’s obvious that the QB returning starter shouldn’t count even though he is still on the team but has been beat out by the freshmen. It’ll be nice to have a backup QB that has played in 11 games.
Both offensive and defensive lines return everybody that has starting experience.

That would be their rational in my opinion. Every year is different so we shall see.
Yeah...it's a shame Rutgers doesn't have any returning starters. 😁

Play Washington in their first road game on a Friday night. They're replacing almost every starter, plus the coaching staff. Long trip east, packed house - get the W.
At Nebraska - limit the killer turnover and make the freshman QB figure out our defense. Good chance for a W.
Wisconsin - home game
UCLA - homecoming! Another long trip east, against a team that is likely 3-3 or worse coming in. We should be favored, no?

Minnesota at home, coming off a game at Illinois - so we have the rest advantage. Lots of good storylines here.
At Maryland - they've been a tough matchup for us lately. New QB for the Terps, plus we catch them the week after a trip to Oregon. So that's nice.
Illinois for Senior Day - will Art be at the game? Gotta think our senior-laden D will not let the Illini ruin Senior Day.

away game at Nebraska tough task. Game will come down to the will of the defenses, which one stops the run.

Reactions: RUStriker
The 14-13 loss to Nebraska on 10/7/22 might be the most bitter pill we've swallowed since Schiano's return. Gleeson completely mismanaged the offense in the 2nd half and it cost us a win. We've had other games against Nebraska that were close but they always end up on top. I really want this one.

What about tiebreaker scenarios?

I would assume CFP Ranking.
But that's not great.
CFP accounts for the entire season.
OOC shouldn't come into account for Big Ten Championship seeding.

Suppose both Oregon and Michigan go 11-1 (8-1 losing to OSU).

Michigan beating Texas OOC likely jumps them over Oregon.
It should be strength of schedule in conference.

The 14-13 loss to Nebraska on 10/7/22 might be the most bitter pill we've swallowed since Schiano's return. Gleeson completely mismanaged the offense in the 2nd half and it cost us a win. We've had other games against Nebraska that were close but they always end up on top. I really want this one.

I would rank this one maybe 3rd on the Schiano return list of disappointing outcomes (considering the in game performance)

I’d rank the 2020 OT loss vs Michigan at home as the most underrated narrow loss in college football. If Rutgers wins that game Harbaugh was likely to be fired.

I’d also take one of the other games AT Michigan in 2021 and 2023 as games RU could’ve should’ve taken from them.

Yup. But Gleeson decided that Evan Simon needed to make plays for us to win. That resulted in a huge interception and short field for NU.

Again with this.
The play calls all made perfect sense.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay/_/gameId/401405111

It was 2nd and 17 in a 6pt game.
So the gameplan is run out the clock with 9min left in the game?

And the 1st interception was on 3rd and 8 at the NEB 36. So run up the middle and kick a 48 yard FG?

Probably the nail in the coffin.

Reactions: LeapinLou and Kbee3
In terms of predictions for how we’ll do in the BIG, I think the Akron game could tell us a lot about what our realistic expectations should be. Its unusual for us to schedule a cupcake like this that only stinks on one side of the ball. I doubt Akron will be able to do much on offense and they committed a ton of turnovers last season, but their D is pretty legit - they are projected to be like 30ish ranked. So it will be an interesting test for our offense to see how well we move the chains.

Wisconsin - home game

I love how the wisconsin edge is "home game"

Not playing 1-5 doesn't matter.

It's a passing game and the better QB usually wins. How often will we have the better QB ?

Again with this.
The play calls all made perfect sense.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay/_/gameId/401405111

It was 2nd and 17 in a 6pt game.
So the gameplan is run out the clock with 9min left in the game?

And the 1st interception was on 3rd and 8 at the NEB 36. So run up the middle and kick a 48 yard FG?
My answer to both of your questions is yes. We should have gone into a shell until the game was either tied or we were behind. Nebraska's offense was struggling against our defense. Our offense was a mess, with a QB that was not ready for the moment. Of course it's easy to say I was right in hindsight. But at the time, I was thinking we should run the ball on both of those plays.

About as mind boggling as Drew Mehringer rushing Tylin Oden at the goal line 2-3 times.
Drew has surpassed his OC salary at Rutgers. Making $600K as the TE coach for the Ducks.

“Drew is one of the top young offensive minds in college football with an impressive history coaching multiple different positions,” Lanning said at the time of the hiring. “He was once the youngest play caller in the Power 5, and that experience will be very beneficial as we develop our offense. Our student-athletes are going to love working with Coach Mehringer and will learn a ton from him both as football players and as young men."

2024 Salary: $600,000

Mehringer joined Dan Lanning's inaugural coaching staff at Oregon in 2022 after building a reputation as one of the nation's top recruiters during stints at Texas (2017-19), FAU (2020) and New Mexico (2021). Mehringer moved quickly when he got to Eugene and landed four-star athlete Kenyon Sadiq in the class of 2023 and converted him to tight end. He also helped Terrance Ferguson set career-highs in receptions (42), receiving yards (414) and touchdowns (six). Ferguson came up one reception shy of Ed Dickson's single-season record and three touchdowns grabs shy of Justin Peelle's mark.

it's about damn time we beat Nebraska after a few brutal giveaways, and Wisconsin for that matter.

9th is more than fair and means we are bunched up after the top 4-5...

get to at least 8-4, winning B1G record, no blowout losses, and reach a mid-tier or better B1G bowl tie-in...Music City or spend NYD in Florida....

I would assume CFP Ranking.
But that's not great.
CFP accounts for the entire season.
OOC shouldn't come into account for Big Ten Championship seeding.

Suppose both Oregon and Michigan go 11-1 (8-1 losing to OSU).

Michigan beating Texas OOC likely jumps them over Oregon.
It should be strength of schedule in conference.
I’m not saying your wrong, but if anything, wouldn’t the assumption be the same tie breaker rules that are used to set seeding for men’s basketball? Same structure now right? I’m sure head to head will be first tie breaker as it usually is.

Reactions: NickRU714
Not playing 1-5 doesn't matter.

It's a passing game and the better QB usually wins. How often will we have the better QB ?

That’s not really true in the way your putting it. It may be true that the QBs on better teams tend to have better statistical ratings in general, but the OL matters a ton too. A good OL can make many below average QB look decent and vice versa. It really depends on what the QB struggles with. If throwing while under pressure is a big issue - having better protection will make a big difference. When the issue is accuracy in general, like with Gavin, the extra time doesn’t matter that much. So it really depends.

I’m not saying your wrong, but if anything, wouldn’t the assumption be the same tie breaker rules that are used to set seeding for men’s basketball? Same structure now right? I’m sure head to head will be first tie breaker as it usually is.

Although - thinking more about it - some tweaks would prob be needed. If OSU’s only loss is to Michigan and RU is in a 3 way tie with those 3 teams (hypoyhetical), it wouldn’t be fair for OSU to “lose” the 3 way head to head tie breaker with a 0-1 record when RU didn’t play either of those teams at all so their 0-0 record is superior. Basketball is different because every team at least plays once.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT