ADVERTISEMENT

Which Home Game to Attend?

RUforester72

All Conference
Jul 23, 2014
Bend Oregon
I graduated in '72 and never looked back. Its been a long time since I've even been on campus. While I have gone to all the west coast games in the past few years, I am planning a trip back (I live in Oregon) for a home game this fall. My question is: Which game? Which game would give me the best "RU Home Game" experience (independent of the outcome!)?

I plan to arrive early enough to spend a day or two looking around the campus, which probably looks pretty different that when I left in '72. Will also need some recs on bars and hotel.

for Game Day experience I'd pick Michigan or Penn State, hopefully one of them will be an 8pm game because that will give you max game day experience. There is also the Illinois game which will be homecoming, but homecoming is rarely a night game.

downtown New Brunswick hotels are the Hyatt and the Heldrich. I'm partial to the Heldrich. both are walking distance to the shuttle in NB to get you to the game.

George Street and Easton Ave is chock full of bars and restaurants. you'll have to be more specific as to what you are seeking

the link below is a few years old but still a lot of current information in it. If you are getting to town a few days early you will be able to get into the Hale Center which is closed to visitors on Game Day.

http://texanmarktailgate.blogspot.com/2011/07/rutgers-tailgate-and-visitors-guide-11.html

I'm not sure how old this link is but lots of info here as well

https://rutgers.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=988&CID=525181

Last edited:
These are the home games.

09/10/16 vs. Howard
09/17/16 vs. New Mexico
09/24/16 vs. Iowa
10/08/16 vs. Michigan
10/15/16 vs. Illinois
11/05/16 vs. Indiana
11/19/16 vs. TTFP

I'd suggest Iowa, Michigan or Indiana - the first 2 are probably gonna be too warm, Illinois is Homecoming as mentioned above, and TTFP has the possibility of being too cold.

Wouldn't Illinois be a fit since you haven't been here since the Watergate days?
Also,couldn't you at least have moved to a state where you can pump your own gas?

I would pick either Iowa or Michigan. Generally, Rutgers history since the era of the "Princeton-only" fan base (which you will likely recall), has shown us, with the notable exception of 2006, that earlier in the season is better. Excitement tends to tail off as the season progresses unless the team is doing very well and still has a lot riding on the season. If either of those two games is a night game, go for that one. Since joining the B1G, we have had electric crowds for the PSU and Michigan games (year one), and the Michigan State game and the first ten minutes of the OSU game (year 2). All of those games were at night on the BTN or ABC (I think).

Overall, the entire stadium experience is different from the one you had during your undergrad days in the little, though attractive, 23,200 seat RU Stadium of old. The new and expanded stadium is capable of generating a great big-time atmosphere, the likes of which Rutgers could never have achieved in the old stadium.

I hope you enjoy your return to "the Banks."

Reactions: rubigtimenow
for Game Day experience I'd pick Michigan or Penn State, hopefully one of them will be an 8pm game because that will give you max game day experience. There is also the Illinois game which will be homecoming, but homecoming is rarely a night game.

downtown New Brunswick hotels are the Hyatt and the Heldrich. I'm partial to the Heldrich. both are walking distance to the shuttle in NB to get you to the game.

George Street and Easton Ave is chock full of bars and restaurants. you'll have to be more specific as to what you are seeking

the link below is a few years old but still a lot of current information in it. If you are getting to town a few days early you will be able to get into the Hale Center which is closed to visitors on Game Day.

http://texanmarktailgate.blogspot.com/2011/07/rutgers-tailgate-and-visitors-guide-11.html

I'm not sure how old this link is but lots of info here as well

https://rutgers.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=988&CID=525181
The Penn State game can't be a night start I thought because it's after November?

I may be in the minority, but I love noon kickoffs. Probably because I get up ridiculously early.

you are probably in the minority on loving noon kickoffs, but either way, a noon kickoff does not offer what the OP said he wanted, which was the best game day experience. That has to come from a night game against a B1G opponent when the stadium is rocking.

Wait for the schedule to come out. Ideally either Iowa or Michigan will be a night game and then it's easily 1 of those 2.
Weather more predictably good + Iowa will be Ash's 1st ranked home game and 1st ever big ten game as HC. The team will be juiced!

Thanks MrsScrew. Games times are not announced very far in advance, so hoping for a PSU or UM night game and getting airline tix in advance might be a crapshoot. Its worth a shot though!

Wait for the schedule to come out. Ideally either Iowa or Michigan will be a night game and then it's easily 1 of those 2.
Weather more predictably good + Iowa will be Ash's 1st ranked home game and 1st ever big ten game as HC. The team will be juiced!

When does the schedule with game times usually appear?

some game times will be announced in June, if I recall last year correctly, the others won't be announced until 7-10 days before the actual game.

it's how the NCAA screws with our lives......

Welcome Class mate '72 the games do not get times until ~about 2 weeks to 10 days before the game date. that said Michigan should be a night game where PoSU will not likely be a night game as it is last game of the season. Ill and Indiana could be nooners. as we are the most eastern team Nooners will be out middle name. So pick what suits your schedule

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT