ADVERTISEMENT

Willard traveled with Powell during NBA prep

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
Found it very interesting Willard traveled with Powell for three days during NBA prep to make sure nobody got in his ear about declaring for the draft.

Boy have the job expectations changed over the years. But so has the pay I guess.

Powell probably saw the kids not drafted and figured he could have been drafted. With so many quiet periods and gaps in the schedule, it's due diligence to make sure the players feel good about returning to school and it's good press for the school's fanbase.....the frustrating part is the player knowing full well there's not going to be any true difference in draft potential next year and he's playing another year towards a degree but burning another year of his athletic ability on the collegiate level.

Found it very interesting Willard traveled with Powell for three days during NBA prep to make sure nobody got in his ear about declaring for the draft.

Boy have the job expectations changed over the years. But so has the pay I guess.
Willard didn't want anyone in his ear telling him to transfer if he decides to go back.

Subtle shot at pikiell as usual lol. Never miss an opportunity @RUsojo

Youve been extremely outspoken about pikiell not doing enough to “re-recruit” corey last year. Simple. You know what u were doing.

In no way would I ever expect Pike to do that. This was legitimately interesting and semi-shocking to read initially. You’re reading too much into post.

Upon thinking about it more it’s not too unpractical since everyone works remote nowadays anyway but the gesture is nearly over the top? But in the end it worked so I guess who are we too judge.

For the record a lot of the things you may call taking shots at pike I would contend are made in good faith and positive praise that I also throw at pike is well balanced.

This was not a shot though

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Or maybe he just wanted to help make sure no one filled his head with promises that he was a shoe in to get drafted this year. I noticed that Shamorie Ponds, Naz Reid, and Louis King didn't get drafted. They were all projected to get selected in Round 2.

That’s exactly what I said.

Or maybe he just wanted to help make sure no one filled his head with promises that he was a shoe in to get drafted this year. I noticed that Shamorie Ponds, Naz Reid, and Louis King didn't get drafted. They were all projected to get selected in Round 2.
Bingo!

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Willard may have also been networking for his next job ;)

If next season is successful, some program is going to offer Willard big money to leave. Most Hall fans are resigned to the fact that he will not stay if a prestigious program located in a desirable area offers big time money.

Reactions: JoePeppitone2012
If next season is successful, some program is going to offer Willard big money to leave. Most Hall fans are resigned to the fact that he will not stay if a prestigious program located in a desirable area offers big time money.
Or he may decide to make a move to the NBA as an assistant. I dunno if he wants to pursue that route, but if he is tired of recruiting...

Reactions: batts
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT