ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin hosts Rutgers in Big Ten opener

Big B1G opener for the ladies. TBH a tie here, on the road, would be a sold result (of course would prefer a "W" don't get me wrong lol....).

I'm going to sound crazy saying this, being it's only the conference opener, but....HUGE "W" here....on the road, a team that has had your # recently (IIRC) and topped you in the league standings last year....scoring LATE (78th minute I believe) and HOLDING on!!!

WELL DONE LADIES!!!

Reactions: rucoe89

Gia Girman scores timely goal in return from suspension, Rutgers women's soccer wins Big Ten opener​

I thought MO could not coach or recuit.....LOL

Let's keep playing hard.
i think multiple things can be true

1) I think the talent he's brought in this year has been phenomenal...I commented on that after watching half of the first game...despite the ugly outcome.

2) I am still not sold on MOs coaching/development...he'll have to do a lot more to win me over there. you cant absolve him of some of the headscratching losses when he didnt adapt AT ALL to our opponent (the B1G tourney loss vs Michigan just sticks out like a sore thumb)...now, can coaches grow...sure. and nobody can take away the incredible W/L results of the past several years. he gets credit for that for sure. But imho, he's underachieved relative to our opponents talent.

I think if he can continue to get this group to gel, and these youngsters / newcomers continue to get better, I would give him credit there and acknowledge it.

for me it's simple...in the past, MO seemed to favor athleticism over soccer players...which you would often see with many of his PDA teams...this crop of players is different. and I am fully in favor of this shift. I hope it continues and will continue to root hard for RU WSOC!!!

Great how Gia brought the team together by sticking up for them and taking one for the TEAM at UMASS.
She didn't stick up for the team. She got in a one on one scuffle & when another girl jumped in she fogged that girl to the ground & belted her. It was all Gia.

1) I think the talent he's brought in this year has been phenomenal...I commented on that after watching half of the first game...despite the ugly outcome.

2) I am still not sold on MOs coaching/development...he'll have to do a lot more to win me over there. you cant absolve him of some of the headscratching losses when he didnt adapt AT ALL to our opponent (the B1G tourney loss vs Michigan just sticks out like a sore thumb)...now, can coaches grow...sure. and nobody can take away the incredible W/L results of the past several years. he gets credit for that for sure. But imho, he's underachieved relative to our opponents talent.

I think if he can continue to get this group to gel, and these youngsters / newcomers continue to get better, I would give him credit there and acknowledge it.

for me it's simple...in the past, MO seemed to favor athleticism over soccer players...which you would often see with many of his PDA teams...this crop of players is different. and I am fully in favor of this shift. I hope it continues and will continue to root hard for RU WSOC!!!
We'll see how the team develops. Their strength in their D. Banks & Mason at center back are just excellent. Bodmer at keeper is very good--very aggressive. Tsokos at one outside back seems very solid. Clair Hammel, frosh from Michigan is a weak spot at this point. Too many errant passes. She may develop & improve.
Watched one practice. Mike coached the shit out of those girls. He really worked them & himself very hard. I was quite impressed.

Reactions: SirScarlet
Can you share observations if not too much trouble?
Thought both teams played well. Wisconsin very experienced squad. Defensive clinic from both teams. Badgers were picked #6 and Scarlet Knights #7 in preseason poll.

Given the breeze that was coming off the lake, it's not a surprise Rutgers goal came in the second half.

First ever win in Madison for Rutgers. Huge.

Nice to have a full week off before returning to Yurcak.

bingo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT