ADVERTISEMENT

Womens Big 10 Tournament Thread- Brackets announced

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
http://btn.com/2019/03/03/view-full-2019-big-ten-womens-basketball-tournament-bracket/

Have to like our odds of making the semis. How do we stack up against Iowa?

D0xReSAX0AEQVWs.jpg

Last edited:
Not well. We have nobody who can handle their all-everything big girl, Gustafson.

Our two styles of play also tend to lead to us racking up a ton more fouls than they do, with Iowa being able to get a lot of contribution from the line. Need to find a way to deny Gustafson the ball without fouling.

Iowa's a tough matchup. Now if we could bring back Essence Carson for a game or two . . .

(I just have to add that, looking back, E has to be on any list of the top players ever to play women's basketball for RU. She was the absolute fulcrum of the team while she was here, during what has turned out to be the most successful era in team history. And she could guard anybody - shifty guards, bulky centers, quick release small forwards - and somehow never seemed to foul them. (If I've counted right, she had 276 fouls in 133 games, including just 60 in 31 games her senior year.))

Last edited:
Have Tekia Mack Front Meganson, stop the passes to her from the outside.

Or have Jordan Wallace start a fight with her, and both get thrown out of the game (just kidding. sort of, lol).

You might be on to something, new way to neutralize her.....make her fight with someone and throw her out of game. Of course it won't happen.

IF we get to play Iowa again, I don’t know how we combat Gustafson.

Nearly every highlight I see of her, she drives past or into someone, and the touch fouls called on the defense is maddening.

How the heck can you cover someone like that if breathing on her is a foul?

These ladies aren’t made of glass!
Let them play, refs!!

Reactions: Esipos1
Not well. We have nobody who can handle their all-everything big girl, Gustafson.

Collapse on her and deny her the ball. Crawl between her legs if you have to. That will leave one or two others open. Would have to cover quickly and find out if the percentages are in our favor as to whether or not the open shooters hit their shots. This is where frequent rotation of fresh legs would be useful. Need to be pesky bumblebees zipping from one player to another with hands in their faces.

Just a reminder that the game in Iowa was not decided until less than a minute remaining. RU and IA are only one game apart in the standings. If it is close again late in the 4Q, the rematch goes to Rutgers. Both teams have to get to rematch first.

Last edited:
All the more reason to pull out the full court press. Make their guards work all game long to bring it up and give them less time to run their half-court offense even if there are no turnovers. Looking at their stats for the season, their starters average over 30 minutes per game and only two bench players averaged 10+ minutes in conference games. They are not a deep roster. Wear them out! Their team is not unbeatable. They lost to #10 seed Indiana three games back.

But first, we need to win on Friday.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Iowa was the game where we shot 4 for 25 from behind the arc.
Lost 72 to 66. Free throws: Iowa was 19 of 25, Rutgers 8 of 12.
Arella Guirantes had a bad shooting day: 5 for 16 including 0 for 8 from three.
Cryor fouled out.

First have to beat Nebraska or the winner of Purdue vs. Illinois.
Jan 9 Rutgers 71 Illinois 60
Jan 13 Rutgers 62 Nebraska 56
Jan 16 Rutgers 65 Purdue 63 in OT

Nebraska beat Purdue twice, 84-64 and 67-61.
Nebraska beat Illinois 77-67.

Purdue beat Illinois 72-50.

Last edited:
Interesting that with the B10 season complete, RU's 5 losses were to teams who finished:

#1 MD (whom we also beat)
#2 Iowa (0-1, lost on road)
#4 Michigan (0-1, lost on road)
#5 Ohio St (whom we also beat)
#7 MN (whom we also beat)

Reactions: ScarletDave

I don't know, she gets treated differently away from home. In Iowa she doesn't foul, it seems. Could be more balanced if you see Iowa in the tournament, which would require her to play with the same caution that players must use when going up against her for rebounds.

That's not to say she's not a great player. She is one of the best right now.

Looking at the semis ... if RU advances of UMD/Iowa/UM I would prefer Iowa, so I like the bracket.

I don't know, she gets treated differently away from home. In Iowa she doesn't foul, it seems. Could be more balanced if you see Iowa in the tournament, which would require her to play with the same caution that players must use when going up against her for rebounds.

That's not to say she's not a great player. She is one of the best right now.

This year, she's averaged 2.33 fouls in 33.7 min on the road and 1.93 fouls in 32.4 min at home. She's had four games with either 4 or 5 fouls, and all have been away.

This year, she's averaged 2.33 fouls in 33.7 min on the road and 1.93 fouls in 32.4 min at home. She's had four games with either 4 or 5 fouls, and all have been away.

Interesting. I'll bet if we looked at how early she picks up a third foul (the game-changer for bigs, as you know), we'd see an even starker contrast between home and away.

She's a great player, no doubt. She definitely deserves consideration for national player of the year. I haven't seen anybody more dominant...

Purdue took care of Illinois ...
Will it be Nebraska or Purdue?
Thinking Purdue!!!!
Press them into the ground after playing 2!!!!!

Reactions: RC66
Collapse on her and deny her the ball. Crawl between her legs if you have to. That will leave one or two others open. Would have to cover quickly and find out if the percentages are in our favor as to whether or not the open shooters hit their shots. This is where frequent rotation of fresh legs would be useful. Need to be pesky bumblebees zipping from one player to another with hands in their faces.

Just a reminder that the game in Iowa was not decided until less than a minute remaining. RU and IA are only one game apart in the standings. If it is close again late in the 4Q, the rematch goes to Rutgers. Both teams have to get to rematch first.
A lot like the game in which Louisville beat Baylor by denying the ball to Griener.

RU will get Purdue, who just won it's 2nd game in 2 nights. Hopefully we now catch them with tired legs.

A lot like the game in which Louisville beat Baylor by denying the ball to Griener.

Well, not quite. I think Louisville got away with near-thuggery in that game. But I agree with the completely-taking-the-big-out-of-her-game aspect. Was it a box-and-1 scheme?

Louisville boxed Griner out for the whole game, but it was a tough game on both sides (I do remember that photo of Shimmel’s hand planted on Griner’s face though). Baylor was stunned by the Cards’ defense which took Griner out of her comfort zone and literally didn’t give her room to shoot. Then uncanny 3pt shooting-something like 64% sealed the deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT