ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling - The rankings that mean the most

obrats

Senior
Mar 28, 2013
http://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling/...caa-releases-wrestling-coaches-panel-rankings

Above is the link for the 1st of 4 Coaches Panel Rankings. These are typically used to determine the bids a conference gets per weight. I know most already know this but I will explain (the best I can) for some of the new fans to RU and College Wrestling.

I will use 125 as my example, The BIG 10 has 9 guys ranked in the top 33, so each of these kids would bring a bid into the BIG 10 tournament. So theoretically if McCabe finished in the top 9 he would qualify for the NCAA tournament. The issues come when a guy that brings in a bid gets hurt before the tournament and doesn't wrestle the NCAA will take away that bid for the weight.

Looks like the way the rankings are now Rutgers is bringing in a bid for all weights except 197. 197 only has 6 bids for BIG 10 in this ranking, obviously making it harder for Hrymack to get in.

I am sure I am missing things and others could explain it better as a matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if Jaroslav has an old blog post that describes it much better than I did. But I wanted to at least get the conversation started.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaroslav Hasek
That about sums it up! I'm not much of a rules expert, mostly I just take rankings and other people's data and make pivot tables out of them :)

it's a pretty confusing process but I think it does a very good job of getting the best 33 wrestlers in D1 per weight class at the NCAAs while at the same time making each wrestler earn their spot over the course of the year AND at the conference tournament.

the only thing I'd add to obrats very nice explanation is that not just the coaches poll that determines the number of spots per conference. they also use RPI, the same computer ranking that they use for other sports like basketball. there are also minimum requirements for number of matches that I am not up to speed on.

one question I have for this year is if Snyder for Ohio State is going to get enough matches to earn a spot. if not, he will likely place high enough at the B1Gs anyway and "steal" a spot from someone else who earned it during the regular season.

That about sums it up! I'm not much of a rules expert, mostly I just take rankings and other people's data and make pivot tables out of them :)

it's a pretty confusing process but I think it does a very good job of getting the best 33 wrestlers in D1 per weight class at the NCAAs while at the same time making each wrestler earn their spot over the course of the year AND at the conference tournament.

the only thing I'd add to obrats very nice explanation is that not just the coaches poll that determines the number of spots per conference. they also use RPI, the same computer ranking that they use for other sports like basketball. there are also minimum requirements for number of matches that I am not up to speed on.

one question I have for this year is if Snyder for Ohio State is going to get enough matches to earn a spot. if not, he will likely place high enough at the B1Gs anyway and "steal" a spot from someone else who earned it during the regular season.
The number of matches is somewhere around 15 (Division I opponents), IIRC. Therefore, Snyder will absolutely NOT get enough matches in, but will almost certainly "steal" one from another Big Ten wrestler that did qualify for the weight, but places lower than him.

The number of matches is somewhere around 15 (Division I opponents), IIRC. Therefore, Snyder will absolutely NOT get enough matches in, but will almost certainly "steal" one from another Big Ten wrestler that did qualify for the weight, but places lower than him.
ah, thanks. was afraid of that. I think Smith qualifies anyway but it does make things more difficult.

also forgot about the wild cards. each weight class gets like 29 or so spots for the conferences and then 4 wild cards which are selected by committee or something, usually for injured guys or guys who missed the conference tourney or something.

the man with the knowledge here is SHP/Britt Malinsky https://twitter.com/WrestlingSHP that guy knows his stuff.

How much will the Big10 Tounry, or any conference tourny come into play, for example lets take 197 again. The Big 10 gets 6 bids, and HH is not ranked in top 6 before the Big 10 tourny, but gets hot and finishes, say 4th in the Big10 tourny. Would that be enough for him to jump into the top 6 in the Big10?

How much will the Big10 Tounry, or any conference tourny come into play, for example lets take 197 again. The Big 10 gets 6 bids, and HH is not ranked in top 6 before the Big 10 tourny, but gets hot and finishes, say 4th in the Big10 tourny. Would that be enough for him to jump into the top 6 in the Big10?

Yes that is what the above is saying about Snyder. Typically called "Stealing" a bid.

Here's how the line up matches up with the remainder of RU's dual opponents this year, according to the coaches'

CZRwMpHU8AAFItk.jpg:large

If I am reading that chart correctly Michigan is going to be a handful. Also doesn't Wisconsin have a talented 133 who has been injured and thus would not show up in the coaches rankings?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT