ADVERTISEMENT

Yeboah vs EO - comparing their games who has the edge?

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
Since Yeboah will now be filling the EO role, let's compare and contrast their games to see what we are gaining and what we are losing.

Shooting - Yeboah is clearly the better outside shooter as he can really knock down the 3 ball. This is the most glaring difference between the two

Post game - EO has a variety of moves and looks impressive at times. There are other times he looks like Freeman. EO is very impressive along the baseline. Yeboah shows some similar "old man" moves using his pivot and up and unders as well as using his body to get shots up in close. I could give EO a slight edge here maybe but I think it's actually a wash due to EO sometimes forcing shots turning it over or just stopping the ball movement completely

Passing - have not seen enough of Yeboah but would think this is fairly even. EO made some nice passes but also turned it over a bit. Yeboah appears to be a good passer from some highlights I saw but hard to tell. Would not be surprised if Yeboah is a plus passer for us as he will have better players around him to dish to now

Ball handling - EO did have some handle which he really improved over the years but again Yeboah is a more natural player away from the rim and would give the edge to him here

Rebounding - healthy EO might be a different story but I'll give an edge here to Yeboah due to EO's lack of explosion and jumping ability post injury

Defense - Yeboah gets the edge here as he appears to be a tough defender and again post EO injury he has no lateral movement at all. EO also relies on the charge too often leading to some blocking fouls or no call flops for uncontested layups

Hustle intensity toughness - EO gets the edge here. Absolute warrior on the court at all times

If you break down their games piece by piece, it's hard to find an area EO really is clearly superior and in most cases I would give Yeboah the edge

Reactions: RU516
I would think height at the power forward position favors Eugene.

Zion Williamson vs. Yeboah

Shooting.....clear advantage Yeboah
Passing.....definitely Yeboah he doesnt have Duke guys to pass it to, if he did he'd average 5 APG
Ball Handling.....Zion had 5 TOs in a big spot vs. MSU
Rebounding...slight edge Zion
Defemse......tie
Hustle....slight edge to yeboah as he has experience

NO!

Yeboah is a fiction character you make up in your mind. Please don't do this.

The May 30, 2018 Kiss best player on the team
The May 30, 2017 Nigel best player on the team
The Mat 30, 2017 Souf was a potential starting PG
Lol this post is going to look absolutely ridiculous next year. Have you even bothered to watch any of Yeboah? Your posts seem to indicate otherwise

Lol this post is going to look absolutely ridiculous next year. Have you even bothered to watch any of Yeboah? Your posts seem to indicate otherwise

No. I'll watch him 32 times next year and 18 times in person.

He played in the American East conference and shot 32% from 3. I don't get sucked in to preseason hype. B1G from American East is not much different of a jump from the top HS teams to the B1G.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

He played in the American East conference and shot 32% from 3. I don't get sucked in to preseason hype. B1G from American East is not much different of a jump from the top HS teams to the B1G.
You quoting that 3 point stat just shows how clueless you always are. He's shot much better than that every single year. Was shooting about 38% last year until he hurt his knee. He will likely shoot close to 40% this year with upside for more with defenses not focused on him as much as at SB

You quoting that 3 point stat just shows how clueless you always are. He's shot much better than that every single year. Was shooting about 38% last year until he hurt his knee. He will likely shoot close to 40% this year with upside for more with defenses not focused on him as much as at SB

I don't totally agree with GRF but I'd be careful with this.

Joe Cremo shot 143-342 (41.8%) in three years in the America East, then only shot 34% at Villanova.

David Nichols shot 109-302 (34.1%) in three years in the America East, then only shot 31.8% at Florida State.

Offensively I don’t even think it’s close. 16.7 and 7.7 last season is nothing to sneeze at. I suggest watching this highlight video for anyone that has not. Defensively I would give the edge to Eugene and I think that Shaq Carter is going to really need to improve on that end or we will have trouble with interior defense

Reactions: Scangg

You think he will see easier defenses in the B1G then the AE?

In his career he has played 14 games vs. Top 100 opponents

35.8% FG%
31.4% from 3
There's zero point to listen to your thoughts on Yeboah. You admitted you haven't watched him play. Go watch some tape then comment. Anyone can cherry pick stats that fit their argument. Watch him play then tell me where I'm wrong in comparing their games

You think he will see easier defenses in the B1G then the AE?
He will have better teammates and won't be the only star on a team where the other defense is focusing all their efforts to stop him. He won't have to force up as many shots and can wait for better quality looks

Forget the analysis of Eugene vs. Yeboah.

The focus/argument should be more having 4 perimeter guys on the floor and what that could mean for Caleb, Ron, Geo and others.

Highlight tapes mean ZERO....I can tell you that the average person will have length 2-3 inches more than he is accustomed to. Kiss had a tough adjustment I suspect yeboah will too.

Forget the analysis of Eugene vs. Yeboah.

The focus/argument should be more having 4 perimeter guys on the floor and what that could mean for Caleb, Ron, Geo and others.
Then start another thread about it and stop ruining this one where you admit you haven't watched him play and think a Souf comparison is warranted.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I would agree that AE to BIG is a jump.

In mentioning that, the defense will be better, but the question if he can produce similar numbers relies on how much attention other RU players can get from defenses.

Scaang mentioned he was the best player on SB. Teams matchups keyed in on him. What if you have a much better RU team and you can't help as much as a defense and have to give players equal respect? Yeboah output can be similar.

Reactions: wheezer and Scangg
I don't totally agree with GRF but I'd be careful with this.

Joe Cremo shot 143-342 (41.8%) in three years in the America East, then only shot 34% at Villanova.

David Nichols shot 109-302 (34.1%) in three years in the America East, then only shot 31.8% at Florida State.

More examples:

Zach Johnson was 37.5% at FGCU, then 28.9% at Miami.

Ryan Taylor was 37.5% at Ohio/Evansville, then 33.3% at Northwestern.

Ryan Welage was 37.4% at San Jose State, then 42.0% at Xavier (hey, there's one that went the other way!)

Yeboah is going to draw attention. Let's give him some respect. The program's best player likely left Rutgers because he saw his playing time could decrease with him here.

That says something.

He has also already put up numbers against BIG 10 teams as well. Kiss is a bad comparison as he was on a horrible QP team. SB and Yeboah did much better than QP in the past five years.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong....this is the type of guy I have wanted here for a LONG LONG time. the 4 position at Rutgers has to be Harper and Yeboah types. Hopefully he is Jonathan Mitchell lite. He could be, but he also could be Peter kiss 2019.

Reactions: winfield102
Some good points there. How we're were some of these players physically who struggled with the better competition? Yeboah is a full grown man so he's better suited to handle it then others may be

Don't get me wrong....this is the type of guy I have wanted here for a LONG LONG time. the 4 position at Rutgers has to be Harper and Yeboah types. Hopefully he is Jonathan Mitchell lite. He could be, but he also could be Peter kiss 2019.
Not every transfer if the same and shouldn't be painted with a broad brush. If you can't tell why there is a difference between Yeboah and Young compared to Kiss Souf and Nigel then it's hard to take your opinions seriously

Then start another thread about it and stop ruining this one where you admit you haven't watched him play and think a Souf comparison is warranted.

I didn't compare him to Souf silly!

My point was that incoming players get a label of what fans want them to be and fans start to believe these players are those labels. Souf shows how off people were. Shaq Carter was overhyped and people refused to be concerned about warning signs that he was a DNP in the JUCO Final 4 and lost his starting job. People refused to be worried about Kiss's FG% at Quinnipiac.

Reactions: wheezer
Not every transfer if the same and shouldn't be painted with a broad brush. If you can't tell why there is a difference between Yeboah and Young compared to Kiss Souf and Nigel then it's hard to take your opinions seriously

You are kind of making my point without knowing it. Your label of what Young and Yeboah is the exact same label of Nigel and Kiss. Almost identical.

Nigel is and was a VERY good basketball player. I doubt Young will be as talented and skilled as Johnson. Having said that i have high confidence that Young will help us MUCH more than Johnson did. Tony bennett couldn't resist Nigel Johnson.

The hype around Yeboah from some posters is a bit much right now, with no one having seen him compete at this level.

I'm really happy to have him, and I think he'll give us another threat from outside. He's a great piece to have on the floor, and hopefully will integrate well with Pike's system.

Trying to compare his production at Stony Brook to Omoruyi's production here, though, is apples and oranges. Stony Brook's toughest matchups last year were #70 South Carolina and #76 Vermont (per kenpom)... any film you could review would be against a team rated lower than all of our Big Ten opponents but Illinois, and most would be against teams rated worse than 160th.

Reactions: KnightTerrors
You are kind of making my point without knowing it. Your label of what Young and Yeboah is the exact same label of Nigel and Kiss. Almost identical.

Nigel is and was a VERY good basketball player. I doubt Young will be as talented and skilled as Johnson. Having said that i have high confidence that Young will help us MUCH more than Johnson did. Tony bennett couldn't resist Nigel Johnson.
Nope you are making my point. None of these players were player of the year in their conference or a 4 star top 100 type player like Yeboah and Young. I didn't think Kiss's highlights were impressive. I thought Souf could give a few minutes off the bench to spell Sanders in a minimal role. Nigel was ok. None of these players had the resume or pedigree of Yeboah or Young and it's not really close. You apparently could not see that which is why you have consistently bad takes while I am nailing everything left and right like my calls on Harper Myles Caleb and being among the first to call for more PT from the freshman last year and how Thiam was limited and hurting the team etc etc etc

you mean Stony Brook the america east team that beat rutgers the Big 10 team ? A game when a guy named Yeboah dropped 21 in the very same game that Eugene had 1 point and 1 rebound in 29 minutes of play?

I dont know who is better. i would assume EO is but then again EO was worn down game by game by game. in RUs 7 big 10 wins EO had 2pts/2 rebs against Iowa and 0pts/0rebs against ohio state and had 8pts/6rebs against the huskers. Arguably the two best wins of the season were iowa and ohio state.... would having EO help the team of course, is it a nightmare not really.

with or without EO this is the best team RU since joining the big 10.

It would be great if this thread could get back on topic of comparing and contrasting Yeboah and EO's game. It is a topic worth discussing

Nope you are making my point. None of these players were player of the year in their conference or a 4 star top 100 type player like Yeboah and Young.

Okay, so Wally Judge - even more highly rated than Young was when he committed to KState. Once you start college and have actual on-court production to look at, stars become meaningless. Young and Yeboah are both "wait and see" players - though I have higher expectations of Yeboah because of his actual collegiate production at SB.

We can look at what Yeboah did at SB against much weaker competition, take into account that his numbers last year were impacted by a sprained knee during the season, and try to guess how he'll perform night-in and night-out in the B1G and not necessarily as the focal point of the offense.... butt it's all pretty wild speculation until he suits up and hits the court against tougher comp. And comparing to Omoruyi and trying to speculate what his health situation would be like in 6 months isn't really that great of a basis for comparison, anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT