ADVERTISEMENT

“I’m never going to transfer” “I am never going to enter the portal.”

I’m increasingly disgusted with the current revolving door situation in college basketball. Why can’t we have recruits sign multi year contracts? How the hell do you build a cohesive team when you can’t count on anyone staying another year? Have them sign a legally binding contract!

Best is several posters make comments like this but more likely still live in mommy’s basement.Remember ‘68-69 at Rutgers Newark was a focal point of these “ protests”. They passed the torch to their offspring .Who still don’t realize most had no choice due to others in power . So what if you didn’t go to college directly from high school. You served in the military and for that the majority still understand and know why. There will come a time when those same snarky , sarcastic and supposedly educated will wish we had some who will stand up for this country.

Let’s be honest with ourselves. If he was a 3* or 2* recruit and had the same season he had, no one would care. Sometimes the stars miss. He was basically a sharpshooter (kind of .. when i watch UNC and basically every other team I see real shooters who don’t miss wide open 3s), who was too small and weak for the Big Ten, couldnt dribble, had many turnovers, constantly lost his man on D leading to more wide open 3s than he could make up for. See ya

Reactions: BillyC80
For most of the season, Pike showed loyalty to Gavin by giving him more minutes than he was earning with his lack of performance on both ends.

Then Pike gave Gavin a vote of confidence by giving him even more minutes at the end of the year, and Gavin responded with improved performance in those games.

Now apparently Gavin goes to Pike looking for assurances about his role and minutes for next season (I still think it was really about money) and my guess is Pike told him that as always he’ll be given a chance to show what he can do and from there he can earn the role and PT he is seeking.

I wanted Gavin to stay because I had envisioned him working his ass off to build his body and come back stronger and more aggressive with soaring confidence.

Instead he took a weak approach and wanted to be handed something he hasn’t earned yet. Best that he revealed his true nature now, so we can move on sooner and more successfully.

Let’s be honest with ourselves. If he was a 3* or 2* recruit and had the same season he had, no one would care. Sometimes the stars miss. He was basically a sharpshooter (kind of .. when i watch UNC and basically every other team I see real shooters who don’t miss wide open 3s), who was too small and weak for the Big Ten, couldnt dribble, had many turnovers, constantly lost his man on D leading to more wide open 3s than he could make up for. See ya
Harsh words but agree that the vitriol toward him is all about our expectations of him falling so woefully short.

Harsh words but agree that the vitriol toward him is all about our expectations of him falling so woefully short.
I don’t see it as harsh. It’s exactly what seemed to have happened. Credit to GG for making the decision quickly so RU can move on. I would have liked to see him stay despite his warts. It was obvious the Rutgers fans felt the same way. The loudest cheers were when he finally made a shot. Most everyone was rooting for him to succeed. If anything that’s why people may be upset. He’ll be a good/very good player as he matures.

That’s the point after all the poor performances and inconsistent play by GG Rutgers fans still supported him and hoped that he would stay and prove the detractors wrong . He made it worse by his initial claim about (NEVER ) and then his defending Mag who played in a total of only 17 games during 2023-2024 for Rutgers.

my new image of him...
waldo-wave.jpg

They are now pay for play employees. Most fans accepted the NIL programs not knowing what was going to transpire as the years go by. The useless NCAA sits idly by twiddling their thumbs as schools are left to deal with this nonsense. Never another a dime until the actual system is corrected for all parties.

That's a pretty f***ed up response.
It was a response that still shows the stupidity of these fools. I personally know numerous college grads from those years who either didn’t want to go to college, couldn’t afford or even get in at the time. Funny somehow these “ Vietnam “ vets did succeed later in college , in life, married had families and now are decent people. Many of those are Rutgers grads … how did that happen?

But he wasn’t a 2 or 3 star and he won’t end up at UNCC or Howard like Reiber and Miller. Plenty of schools much higher up the food chain than us see his troubles not as a reflection of his ability but a problem with coaching and inadequate guard play.

He’ll excel on a team with structured offense.

Oh and by the way his build is irrelevant. Plenty of college and NBA stars just as slim as he is.

It seems like every day I care less and less about college basketball. These first four days of the tournament I use to be glued to the set for every game. Now I'll just check the scores occasionally. I've already begun to virtually ignore the NBA. I use to be a die hard Nets fan when they were in Jersey now I couldn't name three guys on the team.
You can tell me that the world has changed and I know that. Doesn't mean that I have to like it or get on board with it. Everyone can tell me how popular these sports are but I sometimes wonder how many of these "fans" are watching because they have money on the game.
No you don’t . You wouldn’t be here posting .
And if we are playing next year in the tournament you will care very much .
Don’t be like some others here that cried wolf

No you don’t . You wouldn’t be here posting .
And if we are playing next year in the tournament you will care very much .
Don’t be like some others here that cried wolf
You're right about watching RU next year (I'm an RU fan). But as for college basketball in general I didn't watch a single minute of the games this weekend.

I’m increasingly disgusted with the current revolving door situation in college basketball. Why can’t we have recruits sign multi year contracts? How the hell do you build a cohesive team when you can’t count on anyone staying another year? Have them sign a legally binding contract!
Nothing in this country makes sense right now. What used to be right is wrong and what was wrong is right. Common sense , loyalty , decency, manners , respect and law and order is out the window . We allow stupid things to continue to ruin the way of life . Same exact thing is playing out in sports, it mirrors what’s happening in society and it ain’t pretty and it won’t end well until changes are made.

His role is uncertain? Not so he was going to get 10-18 minutes coming off the bench, had he stayed around and continued to work on his game, rebounding, defense, and getting stronger he could have started his jr year.
Don’t see this will be much different at any decent P5 program.

This whole thing reminds me of that classic Cyndi Lauper tune "Money Changes Everything".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT