ADVERTISEMENT

“Will Rutgers Make the NCAA Tournament?”

One of the announcers on the Big Ten championship game tonight listed the Big Ten teams that they thought were in and we were one of them.

Reactions: kwrightnj
The selection process is definitely interesting. Although I don't understand how we can be in front of Nebraska, I'll take it. I was confused when we didn't make it a few years ago. My understanding is that when there is so much parity in a conference, the OCS matters more. I'm excited that they might return to the NCAAs. Go RU!!

No and they don't deserve to.

on deserving alone, I agree with you. They lost what 9 of 11 and looked every bit terrible in that stretch save for a great game against Michigan. By metrics though, there is a decent chance they go. Metrics built up in the beginning of the year but this team is nowhere near that level. For petes sake they lost to Northwestern in a game they had to have.

Remember a few years back when they won the WNIT...now that team deserved to but metrics of a mediocre SOS worked against them

If Rutgers gets in over Nebraska that would be ridiculous but it shows how flawed the criteria is..in mens too, that conference play is basically disregarded as a criteria is head scratching

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
on deserving alone, I agree with you. They lost what 9 of 11 and looked every bit terrible in that stretch save for a great game against Michigan. By metrics though, there is a decent chance they go. Metrics built up in the beginning of the year but this team is nowhere near that level. For petes sake they lost to Northwestern in a game they had to have.

Remember a few years back when they won the WNIT...now that team deserved to but metrics of a mediocre SOS worked against them

If Rutgers gets in over Nebraska that would be ridiculous but it shows how flawed the criteria is..in mens too, that conference play is basically disregarded as a criteria is head scratching
I would think how a team ended it's season
would have a lot to do with getting an invite ,
but looks like it's based on the whole season and a collapse in the 2nd half of it doesn't kill the chances.

I'm all for RU getting in based on whole season , but also can't complain if send half
kills the chance.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
The selection committee got rid of the last ten game criteria. They also do not take into account conference record. They look at your total resume. If RU finished behind Nebraska but has more quality wins, chances are good we have the advantage over them.

Reactions: MADHAT1
The selection committee got rid of the last ten game criteria. They also do not take into account conference record. They look at your total resume. If RU finished behind Nebraska but has more quality wins, chances are good we have the advantage over them.
This must be the reason why Nebraska is behind us. All the prognosticators including Creme has us in as the 10th seed. And they all seem to think that Nebraska is part of the last 4 out. What Creme mentioned yesterday that hurts Nebraska, is the upset loss of Dayton in the Atlantic 10. That he said took Nebraska out of the equation. Again, we shall see.

Last edited:
If the goal is for Stringer to have a better chance to achieve 3 wins for 1000 ,then the WNIT is the better route.The NCAA is more prestigious but Rutgers probably would be the underdog in any game they played.

Ms. Scarletwoman, I beg to differ. There are 64 teams in the tournament. We are easily better than half of them. We had a great turnaround. We deserve to be in.

You're right. But the tourney is not about the best 64
But the bet x after auto qualifiers get in.

Great analysis of who from the B1G will make the tournament and why. Written from the Nebraska point of view, there is a statement that Power 5 schools with an RPI of 40 or better are never excluded from the Tournament.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_efe77e6c-2097-11e8-8af5-9bcd8eeccdb3.html

Since 2013, the highest power-conference RPI teams left out are Michigan (46) in 2017, Duke (47) and NC State (49) in 2016 and Minnesota (47) and Ohio State (49) in 2014

So the cutoff seems to be about 45. Rutgers will test that litmus test, and Rutgers darn well should, with a 4-10 record in its last 14 games. Nebraska finished four games ahead of the Scarlet Knights in Big Ten play. NU beat Rutgers head-to-head — at Rutgers. Rutgers was pummeled twice by Ohio State (22 and 25 points) and twice by Maryland (28 and 18 points). Nebraska lost four games to those teams, but all four were more competitive than Rutgers’ three losses.

So what commends Rutgers? Simple. The RPI. Which is fueled by three non-conference wins.

Reactions: RU MAN and MADHAT1
Didn't RU beat a good North Carolina State team? Is that better than any OOC win Nebraska had?

Reactions: Fishky
CVS has mentioned (on several occasions) that the Selection Committee ought to include Rutgers because "we can probably be the most unique team out there". Can someone explain. Sounds like hype to me. What makes Rutgers so unique other than the prospects of seeing victory #1000 fairly soon?

CVS has mentioned (on several occasions) that the Selection Committee ought to include Rutgers because "we can probably be the most unique team out there". Can someone explain. Sounds like hype to me. What makes Rutgers so unique other than the prospects of seeing victory #1000 fairly soon?
Where/when did she say that?

NC State
Wake Forest
JMU
Virginia
Houston
Seton Hall
Loss to SC by 10

These are the reasons we will make the tourney

Ms. Scarletwoman, I beg to differ. There are 64 teams in the tournament. We are easily better than half of them. We had a great turnaround. We deserve to be in.
Of the 64, how many are automatic bids due to conference championships? I believe there are mucho small conferences eating into that number of 64?
The quote is in Tuesday's Star Ledger and also in CVS's post game interview after the Ohio State game. She was emphatic that Rutgers is UNIQUE and should definitely be a part of the NCAA tourney.

"I'm hoping that we have an opportunity to play (in) the NCAA (Tournament) because I do believe that we are really unique in our style,'' she said. "We can probably be the most unique team out here. So if I were another team, I wouldn't want to play us because I think that a lot of teams can fit in the category of great skill and all the other things, I think within our arsenal we have the capability of doing a number of things that can be nerve rattling to anybody that we're playing.''

http://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/inde...caa_womens_tournament.html#incart_river_index

(can and am are two different things CVS. Sure didn't show much of that down the stretch...if anything it was us that were rattled when it mattered)

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Of the 64, how many are automatic bids due to conference championships? I believe there are mucho small conferences eating into that number of 64?

The quote is in Tuesday's Star Ledger and also in CVS's post game interview after the Ohio State game. She was emphatic that Rutgers is UNIQUE and should definitely be a part of the NCAA tourney.
half, I think. But of course some (maybe in the area of 10 - 12) of the auto bid winners are among the teams that would deserve an invite regardless. Hence, why BeK and others preach that you want the favorites to win auto bids in what are usually 1 bid conferences (of course, some are one bid regardless). For example, GW won the A-10 and they were not going otherwise. Dayton that they beat is probably a bubble team, although maybe not likely. There was some mention today as I was watching Summit League that SDS would have been a bubble team if they hadn't won and likewise if Green Bay hadn't won the Horizon they probably would have been in.

half, I think. But of course some (maybe in the area of 10 - 12) of the auto bid winners are among the teams that would deserve an invite regardless. Hence, why BeK and others preach that you want the favorites to win auto bids in what are usually 1 bid conferences (of course, some are one bid regardless). .

correct.

In the latest Creme, 3/7, Nebraska got in at last, but didn't knock us out. In his opinion, we actually moved up one notch on the "bubble-in," making us 2nd from last in. It's a good sign (that I sure hope is not just a cruel tease).

It is certainly going to be nail-biting time while watching the selection show for us.

I do hope that should be get in that we are put in Columbia, SC. I would love to see the games.

Charlie has us in as a 10 seed playing Arizona State in Columbia. Win that and we get a rematch with the #2 seed Gamecocks.

There were some nights that might have been true, and some nights it definitely was not. Even one more win and this is not even a conversation. You can argue they should have been anyway (pretty close call either way), but you can't argue they couldn't have made it easier on themselves.

And it doesn't matter if they are better than half the field. All those mid- and low-major AQs don't matter here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT