ADVERTISEMENT

10 Spring Game Details at 1st look

NewJerseyHawk

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2007
First of all, thank goodness we have Greg Schiano as coach. He understands size and depth and RU looks like it finally has an identity that matches the region....tough, hardworking and most importantly, backups look like former or current starters.

1) Athan is the starting QB. It's not about how much better he is than Gavin, it comes down to fit and comfort level. Gavin is better and I still believe has the larger upside in the next 2 years and needs reps.

2) the running back room is stacked with quality pieces. Winovich despite just getting on campus, looks like a player.

3) DeAndre Johnson is a definite player, he has size and a stride that allows him to get past defensive backs. The drops obviously aren't good to see, but he made a couple of tough catches in traffic on slants.

4) Kenny Fletcher is going to the NFL in 2 years, if he stays healthy. Considering his footspeed is not ideal for WR, he's the perfect "tweener", to work the Linebackers and fast enough to get extra yards.

5) the recruiting of the 2024 class is still underrated. It has depth that can play sooner than later. Sanders, Duff, Raymond (late commit and reclass to 2024) and others are very talented.

6) Toure at WR is going to be very tough to keep off the field. He looks like a future star and difference maker.

7) the Linebackers outside of Toure and obviously Powell, need a lot of upgrades. Will Schiano ask Winovich to move over to help fill some depth in a year?? The reaction time on the mesh handoffs, make Guerrier look as if he's Monangai running wild over Miami in the Pinstripe Bowl.

8) AJ Surace is absolutely not ready to play anytime soon. He looks like a QB that hasn't been on uniform or on campus for spring practices. He would have stood out 2 or 3 years ago, when the talent levels across the board were very thin (like Evan Simon would look at times in spring practice or games), but as the roster has improved in almost every facet, the initial thought is Wimsatt is more likely to improve much more in the next 6 to 12 months, than Surace does. The gap between Wimsatt and Surace should expand in the next year.

9) I think Logan Blake can eventually help RU at TE (#11). Decent size added in a year or so, looks like a good safety valve.

10) Most importantly, RU can duplicate what it does very well, which allows it to travel and win, home and away. The signs of a "program", is where you can't tell one player apart from the other at a bunch of different positions. Some call it depth, I call it "fit". More pieces fit now than at any point in recent memory.

Put me down for 7+ wins as the floor, as long as the Linebackers stay healthy and we find a punter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News