ADVERTISEMENT

2024 5-star guard Kiyomi McMiller commits to Rutgers

oh boy dunk GIF

HUGE get from the state of NJ.

McMiller was one of four uncommitted top 25 ESPN Recruits heading out of the fall signing period; one of the others? Mikayla Blake from Rutgers Prep.

Looking forward to seeing the RAC filled like it was last night,......but to see our new look Scarlet Knights led by our new floor general, Kiyomi McMiller! Can't wait!!

Looking forward to seeing the RAC filled like it was last night,......but to see our new look Scarlet Knights led by our new floor general, Kiyomi McMiller! Can't wait!!
As I wrote below if we could get a very good big we will really have something next year

So happy for Coquese! Being able to see how impressive of a person she is with each interview and behind the scenes video, CoachCo deserves the opportunity to coach with a full cupboard like the one she is gradually stocking up. Elite talent is in good hands coming to her program.

Keep up the good work Coach........and again, .....Hopefully this time, we the fans will exhibit the kind of patience we knew was necessary from the start. I promise, I will.

Watch that first tape that KevH posted. Unbelievable handle. I keep looking for the elastic band that must be attached to the basketball.
I hope that means a big drop in the turnover rate going forward. She's definitely a problem with the rock in her hands.

Reactions: RUcrazee
I hope that means a big drop in the turnover rate going forward. She's definitely a problem with the rock in her hands.
She should definitely help our assist/to ratio.

I think we have so many turnovers because of Coach's emphasis on playing fast. And we are trying to do so with young guards that play more like 2 guards rather than a true PG.

Coach has to get them to realize that playing fast doesn't mean playing reckless. Yes, it's good to encourage them to play loose and not be in fear of making mistakes, but hopefully they mature into a greater sense of valuing each possession.

They get the ball and go too fast for their own good and end up overpenetrating with no connectivity to teammates, ending up in a turnover. That's the inconsistency that coach was talking about post Iowa game. I really hope they do revisit the tape from the Fairfield game. And now they can add this Iowa game tape to their weekly study of how to play connected offensively.

Reactions: KevH
I'm not shocked at all. It think we have a wonderful coach, terrific facilities, and the potential for greatness in the near future. The program is not in as bad shape as all the naysayers would have us believe. I really wish they would give it a rest.

I'm not shocked at all. It think we have a wonderful coach, terrific facilities, and the potential for greatness in the near future. The program is not in as bad shape as all the naysayers would have us believe. I really wish they would give it a rest.
I actually had a good feeling about our chances when I read about her mindset in choosing a school. She stated that she wasn't looking to go to a loaded powerhouse, but rather go to a school where she could help build something.

The way that Coach wants to play is the way Kiyomi plays best. Perfect match. We just need some 6'5"ish help in the post to go with what we have. And maybe a super-athletic, two-way wing player from the portal while Zachara gets adjusted to P5-level play.

To echo this post, of her finalists, RU provides the biggest stage, best facilities, and greatest potential to build a regional power ....... and an opportunity to play in what could, next year, be the most competitive conference, period. When I say regional power, I'm talking bigger than those of the Grentz and Stringer eras. 😧🫢

Yes! With the exploding popularity that the women's game is now experiencing, a Rutgers basketball program that reaches anywhere close to the level of success Stringer and Grentz had, can be a darling of the region (if marketed the right way, with players like Kiyomi). Imagine having our own P. Bueckers, C. Clark, or O. Miles........🤔......

Reactions: KevH and MADHAT1
She should definitely help our assist/to ratio.

I think we have so many turnovers because of Coach's emphasis on playing fast. And we are trying to do so with young guards that play more like 2 guards rather than a true PG.

Coach has to get them to realize that playing fast doesn't mean playing reckless. Yes, it's good to encourage them to play loose and not be in fear of making mistakes, but hopefully they mature into a greater sense of valuing each possession.

They get the ball and go too fast for their own good and end up overpenetrating with no connectivity to teammates, ending up in a turnover. That's the inconsistency that coach was talking about post Iowa game. I really hope they do revisit the tape from the Fairfield game. And now they can add this Iowa game tape to their weekly study of how to play connected offensively.
I couldn't agree more.

I was just watching the Feb 1998 RU win over UCONN. The Huskies were #2 in the country, and RU had a starting five that consisted of three freshmen, one sophomore, and a junior. I remember being blown away by Tasha Pointer's poise and leadership coming in as a freshman floor General. I keep telling myself we did it with stifling D back then, and Coach Co is bringing a completely different style, so maybe that takes longer to develop.

I couldn't agree more.

I was just watching the Feb 1998 RU win over UCONN. The Huskies were #2 in the country, and RU had a starting five that consisted of three freshmen, one sophomore, and a junior. I remember being blown away by Tasha Pointer's poise and leadership coming in as a freshman floor General. I keep telling myself we did it with stifling D back then, and Coach Co is bringing a completely different style, so maybe that takes longer to develop.

i was at that game, just amazing because this was a giant leap for the program and a signal that Rutgers was going to be a force, everything changed after this one. Great memories!

Reactions: BossNJ
To echo this post, of her finalists, RU provides the biggest stage, best facilities, and greatest potential to build a regional power ....... and an opportunity to play in what could, next year, be the most competitive conference, period. When I say regional power, I'm talking bigger than those of the Grentz and Stringer eras. 😧🫢

Yes! With the exploding popularity that the women's game is now experiencing, a Rutgers basketball program that reaches anywhere close to the level of success Stringer and Grentz had, can be a darling of the region (if marketed the right way, with players like Kiyomi). Imagine having our own P. Bueckers, C. Clark, or O. Miles........🤔......
Years of following the game and traveling to away games requires a couple caveats to all this -

- yes, depending on how you define "region", Rutgers can be a "big" thing. It is still the best team between UConn in the East, Maryland in the South, Penn State in the west and Syracuse? in the North. I'm just saying, Rutgers is well positioned.

- however, and this is a big however, Rutgers has never captured the imagination of the region. There are so many other sports interests in the area, and it isn't like Rutgers is everyone's college. UConn in Storrs, Iowa in Iowa City, and Notre Dame in South Bend, they are the supreme and somewhat only "act" in town. We saw here in Arizona how success of the WBB team having great results in Tucson, which is an Arizona town in the same way as Storrs, Iowa City and South Bend.

The success of Vivian's and Theresa's best teams is an enviable goal, but it will be very difficult to achieve. In today's game, especially. These are different times.

- however, and this is a big however, Rutgers has never captured the imagination of the region. There are so many other sports interests in the area, and it isn't like Rutgers is everyone's college. UConn in Storrs, Iowa in Iowa City, and Notre Dame in South Bend, they are the supreme and somewhat only "act" in town.
I get all of that but, IMO, those things don't matter as much as they may have in years past. Things are quickly shifting in women's sports. The participation has blown up over the past few decades and the coverage is now catching up.

As you may have seen in my prior posts, my vision references the tri-state(NY-NJ-PA/Del Val area). This region is rich in girls basketball and basketball, period. There are enough fans and elite talent that could support a strong, successful college program with marketable players. The Caitlin Clark phenomenon just goes to show that the area consists of the necessary fan base interest. Also, take a look at the crowds that pack the Hoop Group facilities in the area.

It just takes the right coach who can bring the culture, players, and winning success to make it a reality. Is Coquese that coach?,.... only time will tell. She's off to a slow, but positive start. Hopefully she continues to get more of the local elite talent. Just look at what our area talent is doing at these other places.

We've seen that the local media loves any program that achieves on a national stage, whether it be Fairleigh D, Princeton, St Peters. Don't think these are everyone's colleges either.

And UConn, although they are all over SNY, IMO, they do not appear to be embraced by the people of the region I mentioned as their representative school.

The success of Vivian's and Theresa's best teams is an enviable goal, but it will be very difficult to achieve. In today's game, especially. These are different times.
Agree. What I'm talking about is, getting the team back to the national stage, with deep runs in the Tourney. If they can sniff a Final Four or Championship game, that would be great too(although of course, Nat'l Chip is ultimately the goal).

We've already seen the men's program make the most of the RAC "atmosphere advantage" to become an ESPN regular(now BTN), dating back to G.Waters/Douby days.

If the women can get to a point of playing at the level that Iowa, UCLA, USC, and any other top-tier teams that visit the RAC, we can really have some new memorable moments.

It's not as improbable as many on this board think. Over the time Kiyomi is here on the Banks, (depending on recruiting picking up), we could be going toe-to-toe with Dawn Staley's S Car squad, right here at the RAC(JMA).

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for sharing that video. Really enjoyed that flashback. Tasha was special at the point from Day 1. I needed that reminder to help with the current growing pains we're going through. All three of those freshman went on to at least be drafted in the WNBA, correct?

Our current team will definitely need to find some semblance of the tough defense that RU was known for. Currently, they don't stay in front of anybody right now. Opposing teams are scoring way too easily, too often, uncontested.

Thanks for sharing that video. Really enjoyed that flashback. Tasha was special at the point from Day 1. I needed that reminder to help with the current growing pains we're going through. All three of those freshman went on to at least be drafted in the WNBA, correct?

Our current team will definitely need to find some semblance of the tough defense that RU was known for. Currently, they don't stay in front of anybody right now. Opposing teams are scoring way too easily, too often, uncontested.
Just Sutton-Brown and Pointer were drafted. I don't remember the details, but Pointer who was a bit undersized got into some sort of kerfuffle with Michelle Marciniak and didn't end up making it.

From that team, Gilmore was drafted and played one season, and Stewart was drafted but ended up out of basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT