ADVERTISEMENT

3 plays that could have changed the game (not QB related)

RobertG

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
We have already gone through the issues with GW on this board so I’m looking at 3 plays which if successful may have changed the outcome

1. Downfield blocking on the fumblerooski. If the downfield block is made 4 more points when TDs were hard to come by.
2. 3 and 9 down 21-16 (21-20 if the block above is made) Henderson is left wide open and takes the ball 65 yards. stop that pass and OSU punts.
3. 3rd and 6 pass into the end zone If our receiver Jackson? holds on to the pass when he goes down it’s 7 points (21-27)

I know that if you watch the film on every play there maybe one or two thing that if corrected would result in a different outcome, but these are the three that stand out to me (other than the passing issues)

RU is close

Reactions: Knight Shift
We have already gone through the issues with GW on this board so I’m looking at 3 plays which if successful may have changed the outcome

1. Downfield blocking on the fumblerooski. If the downfield block is made 4 more points when TDs were hard to come by.
2. 3 and 9 down 21-16 (21-20 if the block above is made) Henderson is left wide open and takes the ball 65 yards. stop that pass and OSU punts.
3. 3rd and 6 pass into the end zone If our receiver Jackson? holds on to the pass when he goes down it’s 7 points (21-27)

I know that if you watch the film on every play there maybe one or two thing that if corrected would result in a different outcome, but these are the three that stand out to me (other than the passing issues)

RU is close

IMHO - #2 is not valid in this exercise. OSU made a play there. Good teams are gonna make plays and Henderson is a player so hes gonna make plays.

I’d suggest replacing #2 with the refs missing the very obvious very early false start (that the whole damn stadium saw) where OSU converted a crucial third down

The lack of blocking by our WRs in that play is mind boggling .

Reactions: BigEastPhil

RU is close
As you said #1 was HUGE!!!! 2 WRs downfield and neither one made the necessary block.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
How about the partially-blocked punt in the first quarter caused by a poor snap from center? It gave OSU a short field and they drove down for the first touchdown. I'm surprised that no one is talking about this.

As you said #1 was HUGE!!!! 2 WRs downfield and neither one made the necessary block.
Do you think they were in position to make the block? (I am very doubtful about this.) If they weren't, do you think it was their fault? After all, the defender is as fast as they are.

RU is close
#1. The wr s were more interested in sprinting down the field than blocking which quite well cost us a TD right there. Regardless our red zone offense was not good. Frustrating but it’s part of the learning curve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT