ADVERTISEMENT

30 second shot clock seems to be coming

This would have further buried last years team, but I'm somehow optimistic that our youth and athleticism could overcome this a bit easier with a change in offensive approach

This would have further buried last years team, but I'm somehow optimistic that our youth and athleticism could overcome this a bit easier with a change in offensive approach

With more guard depth and youth, I agree with this. I support the change in the shot clock rule. Now some low scoring college games have more to do with lack of shooting ability, and inability to get shots down low, but hopefully this helps to prevent the low scoring games which are sometimes brutal to watch in college ball.

While it may or may not affect our team, it NEEDED to happen. Hell, I would have gone down even further. 35 seconds just means that the PG usually stands around for 14 seconds before even getting into an offense. I'm hoping that this doesn't cause the game to go toward the complete iso's of the NBA, but 35 seconds is WAY too long.

I HATE THIS....Isolation kills the NBA and now will come to the college game. There is ZERO wrong with the college game right now (except for 1 and dones), why this!

Reactions: LC-88 and gflip01
I kind of like the 35 second clock. Each year we see a few teams in the NCAA tourney from smaller conferences that use patience to take a top team to the wire. It allows an undermanned team to slow the game down and use passes / backdoors to create offense. If the team has to rush into an offensive set then the most talented teams will have the advantage. I love seeing an Ivy type team keep a run and gun team under 50 points come tourney time.

I HATE THIS....Isolation kills the NBA and now will come to the college game.

Do you even watch the NBA? Since the change in the Illegal Defence Rules, isolation basketball has basically died as a viable strategy in the league. Sure, you still see it in end of quarter situations and there are players who stylistically tend towards a pass-light style, but the league as a whole has moved away from isolation. Multiple pick-and-rolls, which copious off-ball-movement highlight the offence of almost every NBA team these days. This combined with the changes to the hand-check rules has completely liberated NBA offence. Scoring is way up and, more important, games are way more interesting and exciting. College basketball is boring in comparison. Shortening the shot clock is a much needed and long overdue change. The womens' game did it years ago. But don't worry, most players in college basketball still won't be able to shoot, so the games will still be lower scoring.

Reactions: knightinaz
Do you even watch the NBA? Since the change in the Illegal Defence Rules, isolation basketball has basically died as a viable strategy in the league. Sure, you still see it in end of quarter situations and there are players who stylistically tend towards a pass-light style, but the league as a whole has moved away from isolation. Multiple pick-and-rolls, which copious off-ball-movement highlight the offence of almost every NBA team these days. This combined with the changes to the hand-check rules has completely liberated NBA offence. Scoring is way up and, more important, games are way more interesting and exciting. College basketball is boring in comparison. Shortening the shot clock is a much needed and long overdue change. The womens' game did it years ago. But don't worry, most players in college basketball still won't be able to shoot, so the games will still be lower scoring.

I think this now makes pressing and falling back into a zone a lot more important defensive strategy with a 30 second shot clock

Press not only to cause turnovers...but getting that shot clock down to 22/23 from 27 to run the offense is a big difference

The biggest problem with college basketball is the constant stoppage of play, due to media and team timeouts. The media timeouts every 4 minutes destroy the ebb and flow of the game.

The answer is NO I don't watch. During the 3rd intermission of NYR-WAS game I did peak at the ATL-WAS NBA game and it wasn't basketball. It is ugly and doesn't have the free flow of a college game.

The beauty of college basketball is the ability of teams in lower conferences to knock of top 25 teams. This will make (only slightly) it more difficult.

I think this now makes pressing and falling back into a zone a lot more important defensive strategy with a 30 second shot clock

Press not only to cause turnovers...but getting that shot clock down to 22/23 from 27 to run the offense is a big difference

It will be interesting to see what happens. Pressing is definitely a high-risk activity; it is very easy to yield fast break points when attempting to pressure the ball. In the NBA, teams mostly avoid it because the ball-handling and athleticism of the average player are good enough to break the press in almost every situation. You will sometimes see individual full-court pressure, often in an attempt to burn shot-clock or to get the ball out of the hands of a specific player. But the average player in college basketball is much less skilled, so it might be a more profitable endeavor.

The womens' game has not seen a dramatic change in pressing with their shorter shot-clock. Of course, this was the first year they had the 10-second rule in WCBB, which might have contributed to the lack of pressing as well (but that rule helps with pressing to cause TO's, rather than pressing to run clock). Rutgers is one of the few teams in WCBB that has pressed consistently and a large part of that is Stringer's recruitment of athletes over shooters. For Rutgers, pressing is a way to maximize their players abilities while attempt to minimize their weaknesses (which have historically been half-court offensive execution). But the Rutgers scheme has only been successful because our players are more athletic and better conditioned than our opponents: pressing is great for running inferior teams off the floor, but not as successful against top teams.

So basically, I don't think we'll see that much more pressing with a short shot-clock. I do think we may see more teams picking up full court or 3/4 court, to burn more time or force someone besides the PG to initiate the offense (which becomes more problematic with a short shot-clock). But I do think we'll see more zone defense. Zone forces teams to work the ball more, which burns more clock. It becomes a more effective strategy when teams have less time to execute.

An offense should be allowed more than 23-27 seconds to attack a zone. The game was not meant to have a time restriction to shoot the ball.

IMO the clock is fine. I prefer good defense in any sport.

I would like to see two changes. Don't let teams call time-outs to bail themselves out when they can't get the ball over mid-court in 10 seconds. Don't let teams call time-outs when they can't in-bound the ball in less than 5 seconds. Reward teams for good defense and the element of surprise. IN fact, anything that would cut down on the number of time-outs would be good.

Of course, these changes will never happen, because current rules allow more time-outs to make money from advertisements.

I HATE THIS....Isolation kills the NBA and now will come to the college game. There is ZERO wrong with the college game right now (except for 1 and dones), why this!
BINGO. If you are gonna change, illuminate some TOs. Make the reviews go faster. Change the pressing rule so if then call TO after 8 seconds than only have two left. And how about cutting the limit to 8 from 10 to encourage more pressing? Cutting the shot clock is ultimately a favor for the better team.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Pressing is definitely a high-risk activity; it is very easy to yield fast break points when attempting to pressure the ball. In the NBA, teams mostly avoid it because the ball-handling and athleticism of the average player are good enough to break the press in almost every situation. You will sometimes see individual full-court pressure, often in an attempt to burn shot-clock or to get the ball out of the hands of a specific player. But the average player in college basketball is much less skilled, so it might be a more profitable endeavor.

The womens' game has not seen a dramatic change in pressing with their shorter shot-clock. Of course, this was the first year they had the 10-second rule in WCBB, which might have contributed to the lack of pressing as well (but that rule helps with pressing to cause TO's, rather than pressing to run clock). Rutgers is one of the few teams in WCBB that has pressed consistently and a large part of that is Stringer's recruitment of athletes over shooters. For Rutgers, pressing is a way to maximize their players abilities while attempt to minimize their weaknesses (which have historically been half-court offensive execution). But the Rutgers scheme has only been successful because our players are more athletic and better conditioned than our opponents: pressing is great for running inferior teams off the floor, but not as successful against top teams.

So basically, I don't think we'll see that much more pressing with a short shot-clock. I do think we may see more teams picking up full court or 3/4 court, to burn more time or force someone besides the PG to initiate the offense (which becomes more problematic with a short shot-clock). But I do think we'll see more zone defense. Zone forces teams to work the ball more, which burns more clock. It becomes a more effective strategy when teams have less time to execute.

Jesse

You can press balls to the walls or press to burn shot clock...which is effective if you can turn it up to press for turnovers. Think 2-2-1 press

Jesse

You can press balls to the walls or press to burn shot clock...which is effective if you can turn it up to press for turnovers. Think 2-2-1 press

Yes and fall back to zone....and favor teams that have height at the front of the zone....which favors the top programs.

This is not what basketball is supposed to be about.

Cutting the shot clock is done to increase possessions and the chance of coming back. Whenever a team has a 10+ point lead with 10 minutes or less left, the team that is leading always milks the clock. I hate that. It is bad basketball. So instead of dribbling around for 35 seconds, they will only have 30 seconds. Teams do not need 35 seconds to run their offense.

Is there something wrong with college basketball that needs fixing? Last time I checked, the NCAA Tournament is the most exciting sports event in the USA. Defense and the possibility of upsets are what make the college game unique. NBA basketball is unbearably boring, predictable, and unwatchable. If they cut the clock to 30, and later to 24, they will kill the game.

Cutting the shot clock is done to increase possessions and the chance of coming back. Whenever a team has a 10+ point lead with 10 minutes or less left, the team that is leading always milks the clock. I hate that. It is bad basketball. So instead of dribbling around for 35 seconds, they will only have 30 seconds. Teams do not need 35 seconds to run their offense.

Get in the passing lanes and force a turnover.

Teams that play disciplined basketball and get in to their sets and go thru the 3rd and 4th progression are going to get hurt. Again you are rewarding the athlete over the skilled basketball players.

As far as possessions 65-66 is plenty..that is about the average now.

Let's not get too upset guys. This is the NCAA, they have proven that they are far more willing to try tweaks to make the game different/more exciting and if it doesn't work they are just as quick to scrap it.

IMO the clock is fine. I prefer good defense in any sport.

I would like to see two changes. Don't let teams call time-outs to bail themselves out when they can't get the ball over mid-court in 10 seconds. Don't let teams call time-outs when they can't in-bound the ball in less than 5 seconds. Reward teams for good defense and the element of surprise. IN fact, anything that would cut down on the number of time-outs would be good.

Of course, these changes will never happen, because current rules allow more time-outs to make money from advertisements.

In theory, a shorter shot clock should reward teams who lock in on defense. Playing 30 seconds of hard defense throughout a whole game is very challenging. 35 seconds is even more so. The longer the clock, the less playing great D gets rewarded.

I always find it hilarious that people who don't watch NBA basketball are always the first to criticize it. It is always clear by their stereotypical criticisms that they have not watched many games in a long time. Were these stereotypes true in the past? Yes, but the game has changed significantly and has reached a point where the good teams play such enjoyable basketball to watch, with crisp passing and selfless play. The games typically have a great flow, the fast breaks are ran properly, and overall the games are very competitive, but I digress.

The great thing about college basketball (particularly the tournament) is the David vs Goliath aspect, which you don't get in the NBA.

Honestly, the biggest drawback to college basketball, ironically enough, is the success of 2 Davids, Butler and VCU. (And I rooted hard for both teams to go on their runs.) Both teams rose to prominence by being over aggressive on defense ALL OF THE TIME, Butler through straight physical play and VCU with hand checking (really grabbing). These two styles have been picked up by other teams that don't have the horses to run with the elite to help even the playing field and as a result the quality of play has suffered. The refs say they are going to crack down on the overly physical play early on, but they quickly forget about it. It doesn't seem like the teams are going to change their behavior and the refs aren't going to call a foul every 30 seconds.

IMO, in addition to the 30 second shot clock, NCAA should use a wider lane (at least 15 feet) and coaches need to push players to get stronger with the ball. Overall basketball IQ needs to get better too, but that is a lot to ask of younger players playing on teams where the difference in skill level even across one's own team is so vast that trusting teammates is likely more difficult.

Clearly, you haven't been watching the NBA. None of the better teams play that way anymore. However, Vance Walberg and John Calipari introduced isolation basketball to the college ranks and were hailed as cutting edge innovators for using a style that everybody criticized when the NBA featured it in the '70s.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
I always find it hilarious that people who don't watch NBA basketball are always the first to criticize it. It is always clear by their stereotypical criticisms that they have not watched many games in a long time. Were these stereotypes true in the past? Yes, but the game has changed significantly and has reached a point where the good teams play such enjoyable basketball to watch, with crisp passing and selfless play. The games typically have a great flow, the fast breaks are ran properly, and overall the games are very competitive, but I digress.

The great thing about college basketball (particularly the tournament) is the David vs Goliath aspect, which you don't get in the NBA.

Honestly, the biggest drawback to college basketball, ironically enough, is the success of 2 Davids, Butler and VCU. (And I rooted hard for both teams to go on their runs.) Both teams rose to prominence by being over aggressive on defense ALL OF THE TIME, Butler through straight physical play and VCU with hand checking (really grabbing). These two styles have been picked up by other teams that don't have the horses to run with the elite to help even the playing field and as a result the quality of play has suffered. The refs say they are going to crack down on the overly physical play early on, but they quickly forget about it. It doesn't seem like the teams are going to change their behavior and the refs aren't going to call a foul every 30 seconds.

IMO, in addition to the 30 second shot clock, NCAA should use a wider lane (at least 15 feet) and coaches need to push players to get stronger with the ball. Overall basketball IQ needs to get better too, but that is a lot to ask of younger players playing on teams where the difference in skill level even across one's own team is so vast that trusting teammates is likely more difficult.

This! Throw in Louisville as well. Also for this reason I am also not convinced that Texas made a Smart hire.

Is there something wrong with college basketball that needs fixing? Last time I checked, the NCAA Tournament is the most exciting sports event in the USA. Defense and the possibility of upsets are what make the college game unique. NBA basketball is unbearably boring, predictable, and unwatchable. If they cut the clock to 30, and later to 24, they will kill the game.

NCAA Tourn for 3 weeks is just fine...but college hoops is trying to increase interest in their REGULAR SEASON, which lasts over 4 months long...yet only brings in about 10%-20% of the TV revenue that they 3 week NCAA Tourn brings in.

I don't ever see NCAA moving to a 24 sec clock...just that NCAA Men's is finally joining NCAA Women's that have had a 30 sec shot clock.

I do like the fact that rules have changed back to coaches can't call timeouts during live balls and combining some TV/media timeouts to help move the game back to 2 hours (or less) long.

College Football is great because its DIFFERENT than the NFL...and College Hoops will remain DIFFERENT from the NBA game and that's ok too..but one can always improve the product...which they are doing now.

PS. Disappointed that NCAA took away the 5 sec closely guarded call...as a player can now just hold the ball for 15-25 seconds...not dribble...be closely guarded and the time will just fall off the clock.

The shorter the clock time favors teams with great shooters and with players that can create their own shot without a lot of passing /screens.
There might be more zone defense to counter the quicker shot and less fouling.

A shorter shot clock favors teams that know how to execute in the half court and have players that are skilled. For all the criticism of the NBA, the level of offensive and defensive execution is light years beyond college basketball at both ends. Mediocre NBA teams do things offensively in the half court that good college teams struggle with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT