ADVERTISEMENT

5 players in the portal - Richie from the pod

Motion to ban this neverending debate on Mag's impact? It's getting super tiresome reading the same arguments in every thread.

always sunny vote GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

NJH,

We are mostly in the same page regarding 2023/24 Mag.

One hole in your arguement. Preseason you precisely hit that Mag was not going to be effective or could be counted on as he was coming off injury. Why wouldnt next year he be healthy and revert to the player (with sone warts) he was last year.

Again i agree with your assessment of Mag with sine of the off court issues and both of us wint lose sleep if be goes elsewhere

If Oskar stays, he would be doing so knowing he likely will be end of the bench, but he might be OK with that and just want to be a part of the historic season

JMike was a lower ranked player who started for us most of the season and has played well as a freshman. He's boys with Ace. It would be shocking if he left. Can't see it
Money talks ….bs walks

Hawk has so many takes it gets hard to keep track.

Hawks biggest (and worst) take on Mag was that his injury last had no impact on our NCAA tournament chances. This was a ridiculous take.

He then said over the past few months that Mag was the key piece to our tournament chances this year (which was a complete contradiction to his view on his impact last year).

A healthy Mag who is willing to play gives you one of the best defenders in college basketball and 10-12 ppg.

Now we’ve only seen this a few games this year as he clearly hasn’t been healthy and there’s also questions on whether he’s actually able to play. I think most are now accepting of the fact that it’s probably best to move on from him….but that has nothing to do with the wild takes Hawk had lol.
Yeah I don't read most of his posts because he loves typing but IMO for this season he is saying Mag or no Mag isn't really a big deal because he can't score and I agree with that. Kid has been wildly inconsistent for someone who demanded money to stay.

We need to come up with enough money to keep JWill, Mag, And Cliff on the roster. If we don’t do that we’ll have to spend money to find somebody just like them in the portal, which makes no sense. Keep the guys we have. Pay them to stay for what could be the greatest season of RU hoops ever.

Mag was an elite defender and was a better on ball defender than Caleb last year (sorry psalhoops). He was instrumental in leading our press. He was extremely valuable to last year's team because of what he brought to the table and our lack of depth.

This year he has been a shell of what he was last year. There is no comparison to Mag 2023 and Mag 2024. Add the fact he is always in street clothes......
Completely disagree Mag was a better on ball defender than Caleb last year. He’s an incredibly disruptive team defender, but he was not the lockdown force Caleb was.

I said that many times and stated that Mag was my fifth or 6th most valuable player last year behind Cliff, Caleb, Spencer, Hyatt, then Paul and Mag.

We had forwards to offset Mag. But we didn't play Simpson more, when he provided the only piece able to pressure the ball, get steals and get easy baskets in transition. We could or should have moved Paul off the ball and played him and Hyatt in Mags spot and elevated Simpson.....we didn't do that until the B1G tournament, but it was way too late.

Removing any of the 5 players that were more important than Mag from the equation would have done even more damage than just losing Mag....it takes a long time to correct bad narratives that just simply never showed to be true on the court or during games.
But we didn't lose one of the other starters. We lost Mag. The team then spiraled down the toilet. If we won one more game post Mag injury we would have made the tournament but you can't even admit that would have happened. You're denying the obvious to try to make a point

Just bc the team would have been worse if one of the other players went down with an injury doesn't mean we didn't stink it up bc Mag was the one that got hurt

You're being intellectually dishonest

I saw it the opposite....Mag better on ball defender, but Caleb was the better overall defender because he was disruptive as a helper and being in passing lanes.
Caleb in my opinion was the more important defender. He erased guys from the game, whomever he guarded. Mag is better pressing than mostly everyone.

Yeah I don't read most of his posts because he loves typing but IMO for this season he is saying Mag or no Mag isn't really a big deal because he can't score and I agree with that. Kid has been wildly inconsistent for someone who demanded money to stay.
Mag was less important on this year's team than he was to last year's team

Ironically Hawk has argued the opposite

• Haha
Reactions: S_Janowski
Where is Mag now my friend?? Where is the impact?? He's not even trying to play, only would a large segment of RU fans accept mediocre as a standard.....and further excuse make now, when the season is still ongoing.
This literally has absolutely nothing to so with last season

You CONSTANTLY do stuff like this and it's annoying

Last edited:
You can replace Mag without a big boatload of cash. This is where I think people go too far with the mag thing. He is not some great player that only a stud cash grabbing portal acquisition can replace.

It’s my belief that this season does validate @NewJerseyHawk.

Mag was a role player overvalued because of a lack of depth and a significant drop in point guard play, after his injury. Sure, he was playing well no doubt. If he was the same player this year the offense would’ve been just as dreadful. And do we think the defense would’ve moved from 2 to 1? But I think he was spot on in thinking there was real pause to believe he was the player of the 8 game stretch he played on and reason to believe his skillset was not as unique as described. Ultimately I think this team this season was lucky to finish where they have.
I think part of the disconnect is when you and Hawk argue against the straw man where you imply Mag has to be this complete superstar offensive stud

Mag's value is to be an excellent ROLE PLAYER. Not a super star. That's why he has value on next year's team where there are superstars coming in. He can play the role suited for him and excel

Mag is not a requirement next season for success. I have not and will not argue that he is. Yes, I want Mag back if he wants to be here. If we have the money and can upgrade that is fine

I will caution that it's possible an "upgrade" in the portal doesn't pan out and we will wish we had Mag instead. What if the portal replacement is another Noah who underperformed? Have to at least consider that could be an outcome

I have pushed back on Hawk saying we are fine bc Grant and Dortch are better. They might be better eventually, but odds are they will not be better than Mag as a senior vs their freshman year. We can't overly rely on freshman next season. We are already relying on 2 freshman stars and likely a freshman big with a sizable role (even bigger if Cliff leaves)

Counting on too much from too many freshman would likely lead to a disappointing season. We can't take that risk with 1 year of Ace and Dylan. We need veterans who can play at the B1G level and we know Mag is capable

NJH,

One hole in your arguement. Preseason you precisely hit that Mag was not going to be effective or could be counted on as he was coming off injury. Why wouldnt next year he be healthy and revert to the player (with sone warts) he was last year.

Again i agree with your assessment of Mag with sine of the off court issues and both of us wint lose sleep if be goes elsewhere

Your question assumes he’s going to be healthy next year doesn’t it? Or are you assuming he’s faking injury / not being at 100% now? I highly doubt that. Pike might be annoying in the sense that he thinks Mag should be able to play and is choosing not to play through discomfort or whatever - but this isn’t about defending Mag. If he’s 100% right now - playing would improve his stock. Sitting out does the opposite. I don’t know why people think I’m “defending” him in saying its very unlikely he’s feeling “fine” and simply choosing not to play. It just doesn’t make sense.

The reality is there is no guarantee he will ever be the player he was last year again. That’s why it’s not worth the risk retaining him next season. Period.

Reactions: RUsojo
I saw it the opposite....Mag better on ball defender, but Caleb was the better overall defender because he was disruptive as a helper and being in passing lanes.
I don’t think I can name a game Mag got the harder matchup than Caleb.

Your question assumes he’s going to be healthy next year doesn’t it? Or are you assuming he’s faking injury / not being at 100% now? I highly doubt that. Pike might be annoying in the sense that he thinks Mag should be able to play and is choosing not to play through discomfort or whatever - but this isn’t about defending Mag. If he’s 100% right now - playing would improve his stock. Sitting out does the opposite. I don’t know why people think I’m “defending” him in saying its very unlikely he’s feeling “fine” and simply choosing not to play. It just doesn’t make sense.

The reality is there is no guarantee he will ever be the player he was last year again. That’s why it’s not worth the risk retaining him next season. Period.
Caleb played with a hurt back for 1/2 of his career. I know a D1 athlete of an olympic sport that has a fracture in his back and has to take advil before every practice and meet. Sitting out is the last resort.

Either Pikiell is a real jerk or Mag should be playing.

Reactions: kcg88
I think part of the disconnect is when you and Hawk argue against the straw man where you imply Mag has to be this complete superstar offensive stud

Mag's value is to be an excellent ROLE PLAYER. Not a super star. That's why he has value on next year's team where there are superstars coming in. He can play the role suited for him and excel

Mag is not a requirement next season for success. I have not and will not argue that he is. Yes, I want Mag back if he wants to be here. If we have the money and can upgrade that is fine

I will caution that it's possible an "upgrade" in the portal doesn't pan out and we will wish we had Mag instead. What if the portal replacement is another Noah who underperformed? Have to at least consider that could be an outcome

I have pushed back on Hawk saying we are fine bc Grant and Dortch are better. They might be better eventually, but odds are they will not be better than Mag as a senior vs their freshman year. We can't overly rely on freshman next season. We are already relying on 2 freshman stars and likely a freshman big with a sizable role (even bigger if Cliff leaves)

Counting on too much from too many freshman would likely lead to a disappointing season. We can't take that risk with 1 year of Ace and Dylan. We need veterans who can play at the B1G level and we know Mag is capable
This is a perfect summation to this entire thread.

For me, Mag is supremely valuable -- when he's healthy -- as a defensive stopper who, prior to his injury, was improving greatly on offense. Mag was never expected to be an offensive juggernaut for us, but rather probably the 3rd or 4th option this year.

One other thing I've been meaning to address, as Hawk (and now Greene and others) have been beating the drum that Mag is willingly choosing not to compete, or not "trying" to play through his injuries.

But nobody has any FACTS to back up this opinion. IT'S UTTER SPECULATION, AND IT'S FRANKLY A DISGUSTING TAKE ON ONE OF OUR PLAYERS, who, as we all know, is one year removed from ACL surgery and has been reported to have nagging injuries to his other leg now.

It is really repulsive that people get on a public forum and accuse an injured player of dogging it and basically giving up on his teammates, without one iota of proof or facts to back up these internet message board tough-guy speculative opinions.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, knows what Mawot Mag is going through with his injury recovery, and people really need to stop saying that he's purposely not playing.

NJH,

This is the FLOOR of what most teams get from a starter in a Power conference.

11 to 12 PPG
8 RPG
55 FG shooting
1 block per game

Mag averages half the amount of rebounds and in games against better teams, his numbers aren't there.

This is the FLOOR of what most teams get from a starter in a Power conference.

11 to 12 PPG
8 RPG
55 FG shooting
1 block per game

Mag averages half the amount of rebounds and in games against better teams, his numbers aren't there.
1. That isnt true
2. That is amatuer analysis

One other thing I've been meaning to address, as Hawk (and now Greene and others) have been beating the drum that Mag is willingly choosing not to compete, or not "trying" to play through his injuries.

But nobody has any FACTS to back up this opinion. IT'S UTTER SPECULATION, AND IT'S FRANKLY A DISGUSTING TAKE ON ONE OF OUR PLAYERS, who, as we all know, is one year removed from ACL surgery and has been reported to have nagging injuries to his other leg now.

It is really repulsive that people get on a public forum and accuse an injured player of dogging it and basically giving up on his teammates, without one iota of proof or facts to back up these internet message board tough-guy speculative opinions.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, knows what Mawot Mag is going through with his injury recovery, and people really need to stop saying that he's purposely not playing.
Why are you defensive about this. It is NOT me who keeps asking Pike the questions about Mag....he can play, otherwise, designate his injury and say he's out for the season.

Why can't you accept that the HC, who had a lengthy history of backing his players (even when some didn't deserve it) is publicly saying he hopes Mag is available and it's up to Mag??

You have to accept reality....it is nothing unique about Mags injury than anyone else with the same injury. He has a right to protect himself and not play if he can get NIL elsewhere after the season. That doesn't change the fact that he's not playing ANY minutes??

It's 2024 time to actually expect players who can play, to actually suit up and play with the team. I don't know why you are against the Head coach and program, it's baffling.

Last edited:

It would be utter speculation if countless times Pikiell didn't say playing is up to him OR he practiced great the other day.

I think a tough guy on a message board saying Mag should play when he is actually badly hurt is 1/100 as bad as the Head Coach indirectly saying it over and over in press conferences.

If what I am saying is disgusting what is the adjective we use for Pike.

Reactions: High Quality H2O
But we didn't lose one of the other starters. We lost Mag. The team then spiraled down the toilet. If we won one more game post Mag injury we would have made the tournament but you can't even admit that would have happened. You're denying the obvious to try to make a point

Just bc the team would have been worse if one of the other players went down with an injury doesn't mean we didn't stink it up bc Mag was the one that got hurt

You're being intellectually dishonest
And I've asked the question 15 different times....what gives you or any reason to believe that based on his play this year, that he's an impact player now or would have been last year?? Most of last year was not good offense and he's not an offensive player. It is an excuse that I'm not accepting and there's nothing he has done this year that changes my mind.

You will respond that he is still injured and make another excuse and accept that's OK, instead of avoiding the same situation next year and trying to find a player who's better. We just don't agree or I just don't make blanket excuses.

I don’t think we are arguing a straw man and I think we agree he’s a good role player.

I won’t speak for Hawk but my opinion continues to be you have to recruit over a player like him because that’s the only way you can get better. You can’t play role players 30 mins and not replace them when you are an average or worse team.

The only path to improve your team is to offer minutes that the guys you have are occupying and we just don’t need what mag gives as much as we need what he doesn’t give. A wing is too valuable a position. You only get a Noah type when you don’t portaling for a replacement and instead just add a depth piece.

It would be utter speculation if countless times Pikiell didn't say playing is up to him OR he practiced great the other day.

I think a tough guy on a message board saying Mag should play when he is actually badly hurt is 1/100 as bad as the Head Coach indirectly saying it over and over in press conferences.

If what I am saying is disgusting what is the adjective we use for Pike.
It's very plainly obvious Pikiell is pissed that a guy he's shown loyalty to at every step -- getting him in HS when he had no other high major offers, sticking with him as a freshman and a sophomore when he was basically nothing, not bringing in anyone to compete for his minutes despite the injury, getting him whatever NIL his camp wanted -- has made it pretty clearly known that he intends to leave the team after the season, before the season is even finished. Whatever you think of the new realities of college basketball and player freedom etc, that would upset every single coach in the country.

I don’t think we are arguing a straw man and I think we agree he’s a good role player.

I won’t speak for Hawk but my opinion continues to be you have to recruit over a player like him because that’s the only way you can get better. You can’t play role players 30 mins and not replace them when you are an average or worse team.

The only path to improve your team is to offer minutes that the guys you have are occupying and we just don’t need what mag gives as much as we need what he doesn’t give. A wing is too valuable a position. You only get a Noah type when you don’t portaling for a replacement and instead just add a depth piece.
This year's team just lacks offensive firepower and stars so a role player isn't going to make as big of an impact either way

Role players matter on teams with stars and scorers. Not everyone on the team is going to get a lot of shots and score a lot of points. Need players who are ok with the offense not running through them and who can play D and do the little things. A player like Mag fits in much better surrounded stars then surrounded by other role players

Reactions: FastMJ and FAT MOON
And I've asked the question 15 different times....what gives you or any reason to believe that based on his play this year, that he's an impact player now or would have been last year?? Most of last year was not good offense and he's not an offensive player. It is an excuse that I'm not accepting and there's nothing he has done this year that changes my mind.

You will respond that he is still injured and make another excuse and accept that's OK, instead of avoiding the same situation next year and trying to find a player who's better. We just don't agree or I just don't make blanket excuses.
I think next year's team will need EXACTLY what 2022-23 Mag was.

We wouldn't need Mag taking shots.

I don't have confidence that 2022-23 Mag is returning in 2024-25

hunch...plus he is on my sh!t list.

I also am not in love with how he interacts with others...getting Eugene O vibes.

Injuries are tough to comment on bc the average board poster has no idea how healthy a player is. It's speculation

RU72 posts Mag is badly banged up. If that's true, then it's hard to judge Mag negatively. He does have an injury history so if he wants to play it more cautiously it's understandable

Richie essentially saying the opposite. If Mag is actually healthy and choosing to sit, that's unfortunate. This season is basically over anyway so whatever. I understand Mag protecting himself, but I wouldn't like that decision. It's his to make though. If it is this scenario then him leaving would seemingly be the case. Choosing to sit if he's healthy then coming back next season would be a strange move

It’s hard to compare two players on ball half court defense when one is simultaneously expected to be the “go to” bail out guy on help - sometimes for multiple players in the scheme. Caleb plays a less flashy style, but he was always the more valuable halfcourt defender.

Caleb played with a hurt back for 1/2 of his career. I know a D1 athlete of an olympic sport that has a fracture in his back and has to take advil before every practice and meet. Sitting out is the last resort.

Either Pikiell is a real jerk or Mag should be playing.

Should or could? They are not the same thing unless you are implying that because we paid him some NIL he should be obligated to play through pain. Caleb made a choice to do it. Also, not everyone can be effective doing so to the same extent. Regardless - I’ve stated that I don’t think it’s in RU best interest to push for Mag’s return. We should actively pursue someone to fill a starting role at 3/4 alongside Ace IMO.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
You are not going to find more than a half of dozen non centers that average over 12-8 55% and 1 bpg power conference
In the Big Ten, there are three guys near the 12/8/55%/1 block club. All are centers

Edey shoots 62.3%, 24.1 pts, 11.7 reb, 2.2 blk and will be the national POY again.
Ware shoots 58.4%, 15.3 pts, 9.7 reb, 1.8 blk
Reese shoots 54.2%. Close, but no cigar. Also 13.9 pts, 9.7 reb, and 1.9 blk.

ACC has two that are basically there and two that are a little off in the shooting %:
Bacot is very close at 14 pts, 54.7%, 10.2 boards, 1.6 blocks
Ndongo 11.7 pts, 8.2 boards, 55.7%, 1.1 blocks
Filpowski is great but shoots "only" 50.7%.
PJ Hall is also great but only shoots 49.4%.

Big 12: only one, another guy we loved to hate:
Dickinson 18.2 pts, 11 boards, 55.2%, 1.4 blocks

Big East has three!
Kalkbrenner 17.2 pts, 7.3 boards, 65.2% FG, 3 blocks
Ighodaro 14 pts, 7.3 boards, 61.3%, 1.3 blocks
Oduro 16.2 pts, 7.1 boards, 55.8%, 1.4 blocks

SEC:
Broome 16.4 pts, 8.5 boards, 54.9%, 2.3 blocks
Samuel 13.7 pts, 7.6 boards, 56.6%, 1 blk
Aidoo 12.1 pts, 7.6 boards, 54.3%, 1.9 blk

PAC-12 has three, four if I dip to 0.8 blocks.

The guys that average that stat line are RARE. 17 guys on 80 teams across the best six conferences.

There's literally no chance of that happening as in ZERO. Because he has a chance or has a coach waiting, begging, pleading for Mag to actually do that THIS season and he showed literally no interest in doing so, outside of maybe 2 or 3 games.

Mag "could have" stepped up and declined to do so. He doesn't have to play 25 minutes a game, but he's not playing any.....when is this going to sink in??

What is preventing Mag from doing everything you think he could do next year.....he immediately went right into the starting lineup THREE separate times after sitting games. He has the ball in his hands more than enough to score, playmake.

Why don't we just admit, he's not that type of player, instead if hoping and wishing it into reality?? I don't see how this isn't registering.

Why do we have to continue to give chance after chance, after another chance, for a player not built for that type of role?? Does this happen anywhere else in Power 5 conferences?? Be realistic, he has a track record of scoring 6 or fewer points as a starter than reaching 12PPG. If he had a 3 point shot, I'd be inclined to think it "might happen", but even teams who know Aundre Hyatt is a shooter, doesn't hit 37 to 38% from 3.....Mag is around 25% from 3, with no focus from defenses.....is that going to get better??

Mag averages 9 ppg this season.

I said if he was fully healthy and more than 10 months removed from ACL surgery he would be a 10-12 ppg player this year and next year.

He’s literally 1 ppg and a healthy body away from 10-12 ppg and you think there’s ZERO chance of this happening?

LOL.

And as far as his defense - he proved last year that when healthy he can be one of the best defenders in the country. He already proved this. He showed a couple flashes this year (hint - the Maryland game where Williard said he was the best defender) but we only have seen flashes because he hasn’t been fully healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarlet83
I don’t think that’s true though if anything he would get less shots next year and he’s a career 44/26/70 player

He’s at 9ppg and shooting his worst percentage this year (38%). He also had very little help when it came to guard play as Simpson, Davis and Fernandes have showed poor vision and an inability to setup teammates…just look what happened to Cliff’s game before Williams made his debut.

Mag wouldn’t need more shots to get to 10-12 ppg next year. He would excel even more offensively with the influx of talent and players that could feed him on cuts to the basket (one of his strengths).

Youre literally debating me on whether he’s capable of scoring 1 ppg more than he did this year lol.

Reactions: Scarlet83
In the Big Ten, there are three guys near the 12/8/55%/1 block club. All are centers

Edey shoots 62.3%, 24.1 pts, 11.7 reb, 2.2 blk and will be the national POY again.
Ware shoots 58.4%, 15.3 pts, 9.7 reb, 1.8 blk
Reese shoots 54.2%. Close, but no cigar. Also 13.9 pts, 9.7 reb, and 1.9 blk.

ACC has two that are basically there and two that are a little off in the shooting %:
Bacot is very close at 14 pts, 54.7%, 10.2 boards, 1.6 blocks
Ndongo 11.7 pts, 8.2 boards, 55.7%, 1.1 blocks
Filpowski is great but shoots "only" 50.7%.
PJ Hall is also great but only shoots 49.4%.

Big 12: only one, another guy we loved to hate:
Dickinson 18.2 pts, 11 boards, 55.2%, 1.4 blocks

Big East has three!
Kalkbrenner 17.2 pts, 7.3 boards, 65.2% FG, 3 blocks
Ighodaro 14 pts, 7.3 boards, 61.3%, 1.3 blocks
Oduro 16.2 pts, 7.1 boards, 55.8%, 1.4 blocks

SEC:
Broome 16.4 pts, 8.5 boards, 54.9%, 2.3 blocks
Samuel 13.7 pts, 7.6 boards, 56.6%, 1 blk
Aidoo 12.1 pts, 7.6 boards, 54.3%, 1.9 blk

PAC-12 has three, four if I dip to 0.8 blocks.

The guys that average that stat line are RARE. 17 guys on 80 teams across the best six conferences.
and most are centers

Reactions: Scangg
and most are centers
Barnhizer (Northwestern) hits three of the four marks, but his FG% is in the 40s. I don't remember it and I'm not looking it up now. But it is rare for anyone that is not a 5 to shoot 55%, and almost unheard of for anyone that is not a 4 or a 5. Other positions shoot too often from long range to have a chance of hitting at that rate.

He’s at 9ppg and shooting his worst percentage this year (38%). He also had very little help when it came to guard play as Simpson, Davis and Fernandes have showed poor vision and an inability to setup teammates…just look what happened to Cliff’s game before Williams made his debut.

Mag wouldn’t need more shots to get to 10-12 ppg next year. He would excel even more offensively with the influx of talent and players that could feed him on cuts to the basket (one of his strengths).

Youre literally debating me on whether he’s capable of scoring 1 ppg more than he did this year lol.
I’ve won this one. Pick you’re next topic lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT