ADVERTISEMENT

$90K is peanuts. I think Pike let Cam walk

10 dollars a month is a ton of money for the majority of this fanbase. It’s the minimum amount that you can send to our NIL and the VAST majority give squat zilch nothing. Let someone else do it is why we lost a kid like this and everyone else would have done the same thing.
Anyone that donates money to their schools NIl is a sucker and easily manipulated

Reactions: Fat Koko
Sorry but Georgetown and the Big East are not on the same level as Rutgers and the Big 10 basketball exposure wise. This move is not about winning. It’s probably about money, position competition and/or affinity for Georgetown. Rutgers has a better coach, team and platform and perhaps would have given same money. This may boil down to him wanting to be the face of a program. At RU he was part of a team.

Pike moving on quickly says a lot.

GO RU
Georgetown has 10x the name recognition Rutgers does

Reactions: CaptBob
Georgetown has 10x the name recognition Rutgers does
Not talking about institutional recognition. Talking about athletic conference recognition and Georgetown’s athletic recognition is purely about basketball in the 80-90s. Don’t even compare athletic revenue with Rutgers and the BIG.

Georgetown will be luck to play in the second round of its own conference tournament this upcoming season and if Cam signs up for that his goals in last season of playing college hoops has little to do with winning.

GO RU

Reactions: newell138
Not talking about institutional recognition. Talking about athletic conference recognition and Georgetown’s athletic recognition is purely about basketball in the 80-90s. Don’t even compare athletic revenue with Rutgers and the BIG.

Georgetown will be luck to play in the second round of its own conference tournament this upcoming season and if Cam signs up for that his goals in last season of playing college hoops has little to do with winning.

GO RU
Georgetown’s basketball program has much more recognition than Rutgers. How are you even arguing this? Join us in the real world.

• Haha
Georgetown’s basketball program has much more recognition than Rutgers. How are you even arguing this? Join us in the real world.
Georgetown is a small private Jesuit college in DC with a small and strong alum base and excellent graduate schools and a LOSING basketball program in a second tier athletic conference. If you still remember John Thompson, Patrick Ewing, Reggie Williams, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutumbo and David Wingate you will forever think of G’Town as a top 10 brand but if by chance you don’t, Georgetown does NOT compare to Rutgers level of competition and recent winning; in addition, the Big East is a pimple on the BIG Ten’s ass in many respects.

Hope a Georgetown booster cuts Cam a $500k check because the return on that check may only be a few spots up in the final Big East standings which is better than the recent last place.

GO RU

Last edited:
I agree with KYK to an extent. This is a well spoken kid who built a great network at Rutgers. Another season would’ve positioned him with plenty of post college options that easily clear this number for years to come. Pike has always helped his loyal players make a name for themselves after playing. There are coaching opportunities, trainer opportunities, broadcast possibilities, etc. These kids aren’t your average Joes. They have a brand name which gives them a major leg up in starting a basketball related career.

$90k is not comparatively a lot of money in the grand scheme of things - but if it’s Georgetown, maybe he just thinks building a network closer to home is better for his long term future? Definitely a risk though because if it doesn’t work out there he burned some bridges that could’ve helped with a recurring income stream in the future whereas this payment is a one time deal.

Georgetown has it's own Network and it's a very good one also.

I'm quite sure it came down to the money and the kid is the only one who is qualified to decide his priority.

Me ? I would have stayed but I'm not him.

$10 dollars a month is a ton of money for the majority of this fanbase. It’s the minimum amount that you can send to our NIL and the VAST majority give squat zilch nothing. Let someone else do it is why we lost a kid like this and everyone else would have done the same thing.
Might want to edit your original post. That being said, sometimes it isnt about the money, it's about the principle. It seems the "let someone else do it, we lost the kid" is not the reason Cam left but who knows the real reason? Remind me, do you donate to the NIL and/or do you represent/work/start one of the NIL initiatives?

Good points. He should have stayed at Loyola then and not abandoned them after 3 years.

Oh - you meant he should have only stayed at Rutgers?

Haha - I’m not that guy and if you think I am you missed my point. If these kids want to jump around for money have at it. Stay, go, whatever. But, there’s more to life than money especially when you’re only 21-22 years old. If that stuff isn’t important to you, sure grab the bag.

Anyone here stop to think that now that Cam has an RU Degree maybe he wants to pursue a graduate degree from somewhere like G-Town while also pursuing his dream to play ball at a pro level (even if that might mean overseas). Honestly, of it was my kid would be a sound decision regarding expanding future life choice options.

Reactions: satnom
Anyone here stop to think that now that Cam has an RU Degree maybe he wants to pursue a graduate degree from somewhere like G-Town while also pursuing his dream to play ball at a pro level (even if that might mean overseas). Honestly, of it was my kid would be a sound decision regarding expanding future life choice options.

Makes a lot of sense. I fully supported Myles. Of course, when apparently you don’t tell anyone for the entire spring semester, tell everyone you’re coming back (as recent as this week), and then walk out the door without giving RU a chance (as per recent reports) and leaving us late in the portal game, it’s a bit different

Might want to edit your original post. That being said, sometimes it isnt about the money, it's about the principle. It seems the "let someone else do it, we lost the kid" is not the reason Cam left but who knows the real reason? Remind me, do you donate to the NIL and/or do you represent/work/start one of the NIL initiatives?
I sure do donate to the NIL. No reason to edit the post. It is what it is this fanbase is big on opinion but that’s it when it comes to helping the teams get the funds needed to get the players it falls flat on its face. Principle my ass.

Makes a lot of sense. I fully supported Myles. Of course, when apparently you don’t tell anyone for the entire spring semester, tell everyone you’re coming back (as recent as this week), and then walk out the door without giving RU a chance (as per recent reports) and leaving us late in the portal game, it’s a bit different

As fans we are mostly not privy to the inside discussions and only know what we hear or read 2nd/3rd/4th hand etc. Further, I always account for the fact that individuals have the right to change their minds. Regardless of how it imacts RU, it's his life.

There’s a sucker like you born every minute
This is the majority of the fanbase. OT every day about everything complaining about the best players going elsewhere. Coaches begging for the fanbase to help but this guy is the vast majority of the fanbase. Let someone else do it not me.

I sure do donate to the NIL. No reason to edit the post. It is what it is this fanbase is big on opinion but that’s it when it comes to helping the teams get the funds needed to get the players it falls flat on its face. Principle my ass.
Maybe not principle for your ass, but it is clearly principle for other people's asses.

They have some history but their only NCAA championship was forty years ago and we have been much better than them, and relevant, the last five years. Regardless, NIL cash trumps all now.

Maybe not principle for your ass, but it is clearly principle for other people's asses.
It’s not principle that we are either last or dead last in alumni giving. Alligator arms who have only opinions to offer up but no action to help upgrade the rosters. It’s not 2006 anymore NIL is here and it doesn’t matter how good of a recruiter the head coach is.

portal if he knew he was going to go somewhere else could be, but why did he wait so long before entering te portal, if he planed on leaving to get a graduate degree at another University.
Could be he wanted a graduate degree that was being offered at other universities , but also best financial incentive to join a program or a connection with another program's coaching staff member might also be involved.

portal if he knew he was going to go somewhere else could be, but why did he wait so long before entering te portal, if he planed on leaving to get a graduate degree at another University.
Could be he wanted a graduate degree that was being offered at other universities , but also best financial incentive to join a program or a connection with another program's coaching staff member might also be involved.
Cam needed his transcripts confirming he earned his undergraduate degree in order to qualify as a graduate transfer, transcripts the would be not be available until middle of May at the earliest.

Sorry but Georgetown and the Big East are not on the same level as Rutgers and the Big 10 basketball exposure wise. This move is not about winning. It’s probably about money, position competition and/or affinity for Georgetown. Rutgers has a better coach, team and platform and perhaps would have given same money. This may boil down to him wanting to be the face of a program. At RU he was part of a team.

Pike moving on quickly says a lot.

GO RU
????? A Big East team won the national championship and a second one made it to the elite 8 . . .

????? A Big East team won the national championship and a second one made it to the elite 8 . . .
The Big East top end is excellent but the middle/bottom of the conference is a morgue and doesn’t match up to the Big 10 in regular season play.

And their athletic programs still only make 1/8 of what BIG programs make. That being said there are 10 better basketball programs than G’Town in the conference.

That being said, I think Cam made his decision based on factors outside of basketball. Money, less position comp and life after.

Best of luck to the two time transfer. His stock will never be hotter.

GO RU

Is there an adult in here who wouldn’t take another job offer for another 50-90k a year ?

It’s a lot of money for a college kid.

The more important question is … was Cam already getting NIL money at Rutgers in the tens of thousands per year ? If he wasnt already making 25k+ then we got a lot bigger problems in the horizon.

Minor point: The Supreme Court did not strike down the NCAA's restrictions on NIL. All the Court did (in a unanimous opinion by Justice Gorsuch, not exactly a flaming radical) was to affirm the lower court judgment that set aside the NCAA's limits on education-related benefits. The lower court said that the NCAA's limits weren't reasonable. Justice Kavanaugh (also not exactly a flaming radical) wrote a concurring opinion saying that all of the NCAA's limits on compensation were questionable under the Court's approach. He was speaking only for himself in that opinion. Maybe the NCAA could have litigated whether it had to allow NIL - it chose not to. Perhaps it thought it was bound to lose -- but no doubt it was also influenced by the fact that twelve states, beginning with California, had already legalized NIL payments.

The world has changed. There is no prospect that Congress will (as it could) allow the NCAA to restore its prior restrictions. So complaining about NIL is like complaining about rainy weather without carrying an umbrella. We're in a new world.

Cam needed his transcripts confirming he earned his undergraduate degree in order to qualify as a graduate transfer, transcripts the would be not be available until middle of May at the earliest.
Proof of a bachelor’s degree is needed before registering for grad school classes. You can still apply to grad school programs and get in before graduation. He could’ve entered the portal in March as a grad transfer like Akwasi Yeboah did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Koko
Proof of a bachelor’s degree is needed before registering for grad school classes. You can still apply to grad school programs and get in before graduation. He could’ve entered the portal in March as a grad transfer like Awkasi Yeboah did.
Thank you.

So Pike recruited Awkasi to Stony Brook, then Pike left for Rutgers. Next, as Awkasi was approaching graduation with a year of eligibility left, he entered the portal, promptly committing to Rutgers.

Pike tampered expertly on the Awkasi transfer, thought not as well as Pitino bringjng along best Iona players St. John's.

Pike needs to get back into the tampering business. Need somebody to step up and provide the NIL $$ to help Pike tamper more effectively. Any volunteers?

I can’t get upset over someone wanting to have an extra 60k in cash in their pocket. 60k cash can buy a lot of things. Burning a bridge with a fan base? You really think anyone would talk about Cam in 2 years regardless if he stayed or not.
60 k buys a basic car theses days. That money will be gone very soon. Oh well next man up .

Reactions: bitnez
Thank you.

So Pike recruited Awkasi to Stony Brook, then Pike left for Rutgers. Next, as Awkasi was approaching graduation with a year of eligibility left, he entered the portal, promptly committing to Rutgers.

Pike tampered expertly on the Awkasi transfer, thought not as well as Pitino bringjng along best Iona players St. John's.

Pike needs to get back into the tampering business. Need somebody to step up and provide the NIL $$ to help Pike tamper more effectively. Any volunteers?
Yeboah entered the portal in March, visited three schools, including RU, and didn’t commit until early May. Then he got his transcripts and registered for classes. There was no need for Cam to wait if he wanted to leave.

Is there an adult in here who wouldn’t take another job offer for another 50-90k a year ?

It’s a lot of money for a college kid.

The more important question is … was Cam already getting NIL money at Rutgers in the tens of thousands per year ? If he wasnt already making 25k+ then we got a lot bigger problems in the horizon.

I don’t want to insult anyone but I know plenty of people who have turned down jobs for even more money than you are talking about. I guess it depends on your profession but if you’re in certain fields head hunters call all the time offering more cash to get you to move. Now, I won’t deny that that $50-90k is a nice payday for a college kid, but to your first question, many “adults” don’t chase every potential bump in pay.

Georgetown is a small private Jesuit college in DC with a small and strong alum base and excellent graduate schools and a LOSING basketball program in a second tier athletic conference. If you still remember John Thompson, Patrick Ewing, Reggie Williams, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutumbo and David Wingate you will forever think of G’Town as a top 10 brand but if by chance you don’t, Georgetown does NOT compare to Rutgers level of competition and recent winning; in addition, the Big East is a pimple on the BIG Ten’s ass in many respects.

Hope a Georgetown booster cuts Cam a $500k check because the return on that check may only be a few spots up in the final Big East standings which is better than the recent last place.

GO RU
What recent winning? This fanbase is delusional 😂

I don’t want to insult anyone but I know plenty of people who have turned down jobs for even more money than you are talking about. I guess it depends on your profession but if you’re in certain fields head hunters call all the time offering more cash to get you to move. Now, I won’t deny that that $50-90k is a nice payday for a college kid, but to your first question, many “adults” don’t chase every potential bump in pay.

Maybe I should’ve rephrased the amount for more relevance to the situation.

How many adults would turn down a raise that doubles or triples their income ? You would have to be very very settled in life to not go for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT