ADVERTISEMENT

$90K is peanuts. I think Pike let Cam walk

90k is a pretty good starting salary out of college … not insignificant … plus he gets his degree … I’m sure it’s not easy to leave your teammates, but people switch jobs for more money so can’t be angry … he was fun to watch, wish he stayed and the team got a little weaker that he’s leaving.

People on this board are totally out of touch about how much money 90k is, especially all at once. If someone has given me NINE thousand dollars when I was in college I would have cried years of joy. Ninety is beyond imagining for most kids that age.

Reactions: ldwnmas
People on this board are totally out of touch about how much money 90k is, especially all at once. If someone has given me NINE thousand dollars when I was in college I would have cried years of joy. Ninety is beyond imagining for most kids that age.
Perhaps but Reiber getting $75k at Charlotte puts it all in perspective. It’s the “going rate” apparently.

What recent winning? This fanbase is delusional 😂
No chips. Three NCAAs [covid year certainty included] in four years is not winning with winning season and snub last year not included?

You’ve been hanging out at bars on Wisconsin and M streets too much. Georgetown is even less relevant than St John’s.

GO RU

Good enough to steal Rutgers leading scorer. It’s literally never been easier for a college to recover from a bad coach. Open your eyes.
Kid is a a great spot up shooter. Would’ve loved to see him stay with the program but his game has limitations and was going to be challenged for playing time at RU. He’ll have less comp at G’town which to me is a factor since it’s been reported that he didn’t even inquire about a match in money.

Good luck thinking that a one year transfer is going to lead your program into the promised land.

GO RU

Reactions: Luvscarletknights
Georgetown is a small private Jesuit college in DC with a small and strong alum base and excellent graduate schools and a LOSING basketball program in a second tier athletic conference. If you still remember John Thompson, Patrick Ewing, Reggie Williams, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutumbo and David Wingate you will forever think of G’Town as a top 10 brand but if by chance you don’t, Georgetown does NOT compare to Rutgers level of competition and recent winning; in addition, the Big East is a pimple on the BIG Ten’s ass in many respects.

Hope a Georgetown booster cuts Cam a $500k check because the return on that check may only be a few spots up in the final Big East standings which is better than the recent last place.

GO RU
Don't forget Alan Iverson.

Yeah, that's really the prick part. Money wise, they're all mercenaries at this point and the no rules set it up this way. Just like they don't give a sh*t, I'm starting to not give a sh*t about college sports.
THIS! When I was a kid, and me or my brother would start doing stupid/silly things during a board game my dad would say 'I'm not going to play anymore you guys are RATTING up the game!' Well NIL in it's current form is RATTING up the game for me too - not sure how much longer I'll be interested in this.

Anyone who is saying $90K is small potatoes for Cam leaving is just plain silly. He has no loyalty to us, nor should he. I would leave too if someone was offering me $90K vs the $0 I'm getting now. You want to play the NIL game I'm a mercenary too, and I'm pretty much going to the highest bidder.

Again NIL is just stupid in it's current form - needs to be more regulated.

Proof of a bachelor’s degree is needed before registering for grad school classes. You can still apply to grad school programs and get in before graduation. He could’ve entered the portal in March as a grad transfer like Akwasi Yeboah did.
Yes. Law schools admit students before they get their bachelors'. Law schools even let them register without final transcripts -- the schools impose a deadline early in the Fall semester for submission of final transcripts. It's a shame he's transferring so late, but is that so different from Eugene Omoruyi last year? This is just the reality of how things work these days.

I understand why everyone is upset to be losing Spencer, but criticizing him is wrong. If it was OK for him to transfer here after three years at Loyola Maryland, then it's certainly OK for him to transfer again after a year. Maybe it's a bad decision for him to make, but he has a perfect right to do what he thinks is in his best interest.

Is there an adult in here who wouldn’t take another job offer for another 50-90k a year ?
Wrong comparison, it would be taking another 50k-90k bonus, as there is no 2nd year for Cam.

I would not jump at this hypothetical move. I'm very comfortable with what I make now, I have the respect of my manager and coworkers, have a lot of say in how I do my work, really like where I live and the support network/life I've built here. No way I would consider giving that all up, moving somewhere else, and starting all of that over.

If it turns out to be Georgetown, unless they have boatload of other late recruits coming in, I don't think any expert will say they are better positioned for winning next year than Rutgers would be, especially if we still had Cam. He is moving to an unknown coach on a team expected to be worse in its conference. That's all his choice, clearly something made him decide this is better for him overall. The only part of it that really irritates me is the timing of it. If he said when the season ended, coach, I have one year left, and I'm going to the transfer because XYZ, that stinks for us but so be it. To leave THIS LATE, unless this is driven by recent developments, is a backstabbing type of move IMO. Especially if he didn't let our staff know he was thinking of bailing.

Yes. Law schools admit students before they get their bachelors'. Law schools even let them register without final transcripts -- the schools impose a deadline early in the Fall semester for submission of final transcripts. It's a shame he's transferring so late, but is that so different from Eugene Omoruyi last year? This is just the reality of how things work these days.

I understand why everyone is upset to be losing Spencer, but criticizing him is wrong. If it was OK for him to transfer here after three years at Loyola Maryland, then it's certainly OK for him to transfer again after a year. Maybe it's a bad decision for him to make, but he has a perfect right to do what he thinks is in his best interest.
Eugene transferred 3 years ago. And that was after Pike scheduled a game near his home in Canada against St. Bonaventure.

The timing here would be my only criticism. People were trying to rationalize it by saying he needed to wait for his final transcript before entering the portal. Clearly, that’s not true.

Eugene transferred 3 years ago. And that was after Pike scheduled a game near his home in Canada against St. Bonaventure.

The timing here would be my only criticism. People were trying to rationalize it by saying he needed to wait for his final transcript before entering the portal. Clearly, that’s not true.
Yes, people are wrong by rationalizing the timing by saying Spencer had to wait for his transcript. All the same, is Spencer's timing any more objectionable than Eugene Omuryi's? Both went into the portal during the permitted period. My impression is that Omuryi actually announced later in May than Spencer did. There's nothing wrong with following the rules to one's advantage. And we don't know how surprised Pikiell was by Spencer's decision. Certainly Pikiell hasn't said anything that indicates he thinks Spencer has done anything wrong.

Certainly Pikiell hasn't said anything that indicates he thinks Spencer has done anything wrong.
You've seen this game for a long time, you really think that's ever going to happen from any coach in America? Cam could've sh*t in Pike's sandwich and he's either going to stay mum and chew on it or blow sunshine and roses that it tasted just like Filet Mignon.

Anyone here stop to think that now that Cam has an RU Degree maybe he wants to pursue a graduate degree from somewhere like G-Town while also pursuing his dream to play ball at a pro level (even if that might mean overseas). Honestly, of it was my kid would be a sound decision regarding expanding future life choice options.
That's fine, but if that's part of what happened here he should have given Pike the heads up instead of blindsiding him.

Yes, people are wrong by rationalizing the timing by saying Spencer had to wait for his transcript. All the same, is Spencer's timing any more objectionable than Eugene Omuryi's? Both went into the portal during the permitted period. My impression is that Omuryi actually announced later in May than Spencer did. There's nothing wrong with following the rules to one's advantage. And we don't know how surprised Pikiell was by Spencer's decision. Certainly Pikiell hasn't said anything that indicates he thinks Spencer has done anything wrong.
Saying it wasn’t as bad as the worst transfer news since Mike Rosario is not a comparison you want to make. Many will forever feel Eugene stabbed the school in the back.

Everybody close to the program said this came out if the blue. Geo flat out said he gave RU no chance to counter with an offer of their own. Pike’s a guy who will say nothing publicly when someone has wronged him. Carino went to him for quotes about came and got a two sentence boiler plate statement out of him.

Reactions: RUbbFannn
A one time payment of $90K isn't making much of a difference in your life, I'm sorry. It's $60K you'll pocket after taxes.

What will you do or he do with $60K? And if you say, "start a small bizz", it's not hard to get a SBA loan for $60K.
90k for a college student is more than most college graduates will make in their first year. Hell, the average salary in the US is 60k.

I think his timing mainly came down to when Gtown made its offer.

You don’t leave a school and program you love for even $90k. You’re a kid — you have your whole life ahead of you to make money. You stay, have fun, play ball with your buddies and for a coach you respect for one last year. In the process you become a real part of the program and it’s history.

Of course, if you don’t love the school, the coach, the other players, you walk for the bag and no one will remember you by next April.

Are you joking?

I don't blame anyone for taking the money. I'vd left jobs for more money like most people.

My issue is Cam didn't give us a chance to match.

Saying it wasn’t as bad as the worst transfer news since Mike Rosario is not a comparison you want to make. Many will forever feel Eugene stabbed the school in the back.

Everybody close to the program said this came out if the blue. Geo flat out said he gave RU no chance to counter with an offer of their own. Pike’s a guy who will say nothing publicly when someone has wronged him. Carino went to him for quotes about came and got a two sentence boiler plate statement out of him.
Thanks for your comment. I don't see how it's stabbing a school in the back when he's following the rules. He doesn't have an obligation to let RU counter any more than you do when you change jobs. Indeed, the fact that he isn't asking for a counter may indicate that something other than money is what's motivating him. To take a hypothetical, if my wife were to get a job in Los Angeles, you can be sure that I would look for one there and I wouldn't care how much my present employer in New Jersey were willing to offer me to stay and so I wouldn't give it a chance to counter.

You don’t leave a school and program you love for even $90k. You’re a kid — you have your whole life ahead of you to make money. You stay, have fun, play ball with your buddies and for a coach you respect for one last year. In the process you become a real part of the program and it’s history.

Of course, if you don’t love the school, the coach, the other players, you walk for the bag and no one will remember you by next April.
Maybe he doesn't love Rutgers. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

Don't know why people are upset because Cam's leaving.
He left another program that he spent 3 years at and that should show us that Spencer goes where he thinks is best for him and only loyal to the program when he is there.
Nothing wrong with that for players like Cam who left one program for another
This is the new world of college sports , free agency .

Since transferring became easier to do, loyalty to one program has become harder when players feel the green might be better somewhere else.
Playing-time isn't the only reason players hit the portal now and programs can't depend on keeping players like they used to when possible NIL deals are involved.

Could anyone else still be at risk? If Mag is able to graduate after summer session, for instance, does that mean the portal deadline wouldnt be applicable to him?

Absolutely not. Do whatever makes you happy. If it’s money at age 21-22 have at it, but I find it odd that so many fans don’t seem to care about the other stuff. Whenever I get together with my buddies from college we never talk about who had money, a nice car, etc. In fact, none of us cared.

Are you joking?

I don't blame anyone for taking the money. I'vd left jobs for more money like most people.

My issue is Cam didn't give us a chance to match.

I agree — I don’t care that he took the money or that he left, but for the timing. My point was simply that there are things equally or more important to some people other than money.

Reactions: RU_DIO
I agree — I don’t care that he took the money or that he left, but for the timing. My point was simply that there are things equally or more important to some people other than money.
You're assuming that money is his motivation. That may be true, but not necessarily. As I suggest above, the fact that he didn't give Rutgers a chance to counter may indicate that money isn't what's driving his decision.

Don't know why people are upset because Cam's leaving.
He left another program that he spent 3 years at and that should show us that Spencer goes where he thinks is best for him and only loyal to the program when he is there.
Nothing wrong with that for players like Cam who left one program for another
This is the new world of college sports , free agency .

Since transferring became easier to do, loyalty to one program has become harder when players feel the green might be better somewhere else.
Playing-time isn't the only reason players hit the portal now and programs can't depend on keeping players like they used to when possible NIL deals are involved.
He posted an announcement stating that he was staying. Something changed.

Reactions: Kbee3
You're assuming that money is his motivation. That may be true, but not necessarily. As I suggest above, the fact that he didn't give Rutgers a chance to counter may indicate that money isn't what's driving his decision.

I’m not assuming anything. I have no idea why he left. He was here for one year and now he’s gone. Just a name in a stat book now. Next man up

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Thanks for your comment. I don't see how it's stabbing a school in the back when he's following the rules. He doesn't have an obligation to let RU counter any more than you do when you change jobs. Indeed, the fact that he isn't asking for a counter may indicate that something other than money is what's motivating him. To take a hypothetical, if my wife were to get a job in Los Angeles, you can be sure that I would look for one there and I wouldn't care how much my present employer in New Jersey were willing to offer me to stay and so I wouldn't give it a chance to counter.
I agree with you. I’m saying if I had a criticism, it would be maybe don’t do it at the 11th hour. Obviously, an offer came in that he felt he couldn’t refuse. He apparently felt there was nothing RU could do to match it so he just left.

It’s not backstabbing. There’s no loyalty at this level of athletics. I meant it feels like it to many fans. They still feel a certain type of way about how Eugene handled himself. So comparing his situation to an awful memory isn’t going to make anybody feel better about Cam’s decision.

anyone know what Noah got? maybe it was much more than what Cam got. When he found out about the numbers and He felt disrespected. Opportunity to play for Georgetown close to his home, and bump on NIL, seems good "Personal" decision.

We dont change jobs because we think others wont approve. We change jobs for personal reasons and what's good for our "family"

Some of us in here needs to get some common sense and realize, these kids actually have personal goals, needs, and family.
Being Fans is just side show... Stop acting like we mean something to their decisions...

This one is fishy. When I heard someone made an offer he couldnt refuse, i figured like $500K. But its a paltry $90K? We couldve matched that.

Thats like what $60K after taxes? Thats a really inconsequential amount of money that wont do anything for you.

Theres gotta be more to this one here.
You can donate $90k and keep him here since it's paltry $90k to you.

So your point is that theyll take the $60K, wont touch a dime and then turn it into $1,260,147.11 (which is the exact number and doesnt account for inflation fyi) in 45 years? Interesting. So for the next 45 years after they receive this 60K their life doesnt…. Change, right.

Ill say it again. If I gave you $60K right now, what are you doing with it that would change your life?

What is your definition of “changing your life”? If 60k right now is given to me, yes…it would make life just a little easier for. So yes, that’s “changing my life”

This is such a dumb post.

You think $60k, managed correctly, wouldn't change the life of a person who is currently homeless? You don't think $60k is a lot of money to the average 22 year old??

Many of us have been fortunate and/or successful enough to where $60k is not life changing money (though it's still a pretty good chunk of money ffs). But to deny the simple fact that $60k is a shitload of money to the average American is absurd.

FYI if you stuck $60k in an S&P 500 fund at age 22 and return 7% per year after inflation that would be $1.26mm (inflation adjusted) by age 67.
He is such an entitled douche bag who was born with a silver spoon

Reactions: RUbbFannn
I'm insinuating that $60K doesn't change anyones life. Like it's really not a lot of money.

- Does a nicer car change your life?
- Could you not put food on your table prior to walking into this $60K?
- Could you not pay your bills prior to this $60K?

My point is this $60K is not changing anyone's life. FYI, $60K doesn't help when you're unemployed, you're not getting a mortgage anyway. And if you had a job you can buy with way less than $60K down anyway.

And it's not a lot of money for anyone who lives in the US. I could give $60K to a homeless guy and it's not gonna change his life all that much. Might change it for a year but yeah, not making really much of a change at all in his life as a whole
60k invested well is a nice start. And he’s gonna get a grad degree. From Georgetown. Not a bad start

Agree entirely. I don’t blame cam.

Don’t hate the player hate the game as they say

We have no idea if cam PURPOSELY timed it to screw RU. Likely never will know his intent. BUT if done purposely the kids a douchebag

Does anyone know how much NIL money rutgers was giving cam? Sorry if this was already posted some place.

If I Cam was making less than 75k I would have put my transfer papers in the minute I heard Dean got that from Elon…. Caa is paying 75k for a guy who was 8th man on a big 10 team that didn’t mKe the tournament. If Elon is paying 75k Charleston must be paying double that….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT