ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon ranks the B1G football coaches for 2015

Innermind

Junior
Sep 18, 2012
Here is a link to the article:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-big-tens-college-football-coaches-2015

1. Meyer (OSU)
2. Harbaugh (Mich)
3. Dantonio (MSU)
4. Franklin (PSU)
5. Kill (Minn)
6. Fitzgerald (NW)
7. Riley (Neb)
8. Ferentz (Iowa)
9. Edsall (UM)
10. Wilson (Ind)
11. Chryst (Wisc)
12. Beckman (Ill)
13. Flood (Rut)
14. Hazell (Purdue)

James Franklin is a great recruiter, but I'd put Jerry Kill above him as a coach. If I was a B1G caliber athlete coming out of high school in the Great Lakes area and wished to go to one of the 14 B1G schools to play football, I would want to play for either Mark Dantonio or Jerry Kill.

I have a feeling Kill will move on to a bigger program soon, he's finally being recognized as an awesome coach

I wish they would have included a score of some metric show how closely grouped or spread out the coaches are in their evaluation. I would definitley take Flood over Hazell, Beckman, Edsall and Ferentz. With the jury out on Chryst, & Riley. But if the difference in their scores was negligible then the order might not seem so egregious.

You get what you pay for.
Until the RU Adminstration gets on board with B1G athletics ( BIG time) we will be at the bottom of the pack.

Franklin is overated..recruiting is not coaching. Wilson, Beckman and Chryst are ranked in front of Flood...really? Based on what? Certainly not wins.

Wait a minute.. So Flood was projected to win 2-3games last year (0in the B1G), but is ranked 13th after going 8-5. Wow those rankings are stupid. They couldn't even get number 2 right. And what the hell has Edsall ever done with UMD?

Question, too high or too low?
I am not the poster you responded to, but I think the clear implication is too high.

Franklin at #4 - too high. Good recruiter, yes to date. Good gameday coach remains to be seen.

Riley didn't impress me with his overall results at Oregon State. Career losing record in conference? I don't know why Nebraska thought he was the best coach they could get.

What i've learned about the internet is that if you want clicks, you make a ranking list.

The worse a list is, the more clicks it gets because it's controversial.

The internet is becoming easier by the day.

Franklin at #4 - too high. Good recruiter, yes to date. Good gameday coach remains to be seen.

Who would you put above Franklin? Remembering part of the criteria is recruiting ability and if the coach has shown that they can win at other schools, which he did at Vandy but it is admittedly a pretty small sample size. I guess I would put Kill over him this year but it's pretty close. This is what I meant by wishing the was a score because of Franklin graded out at a 72 and Kill as a 71 then I'm, meh.

Flood has been winning me over, although I do wish he could make RU competitive against the better teams. Seeing a copy of Sports Illustrated from before the NFL draft one thing stands out -- RU barely had ANYONE listed as a top NFL prospect other than Kroft.

To me, that tells me a bit about his coaching. We don't have NFL talent right now according to the experts. We were totally in the Penn State game and able to beat 5 P5 teams. He may be a better coach than he gets credit for being.

Flood has to get more lively. He is a standup guy but he has to get more assertive.

Other than Lane Kiffen (who isn't even a HC anymore)... i can't think of two more over-rated coaches than Franklin and HCRE..........

While an 8-5 season is great and Flood is certainly not the second worse coach in the conference (pretty laughable), this is the way it's going to be in terms of perception in the Big Ten. Rutgers has yet to make a name for themselves in the Big Ten and I think that's something that has to be earned. This is all about perception and believe it or not this is list is probably close to what the layman sports fan thinks, because this guy is certainly not a sports writer.

While an 8-5 season is great and Flood is certainly not the second worse coach in the conference (pretty laughable), this is the way it's going to be in terms of perception in the Big Ten. Rutgers has yet to make a name for themselves in the Big Ten and I think that's something that has to be earned. This is all about perception and believe it or not this is list is probably close to what the layman sports fan thinks, because this guy is certainly not a sports writer.

See, that's the problem with society today. Truth means very little this days. I guess that's why reality shows do so well. People like BS over facts because it makes things more interesting and they feel better. Btw, what will it take to improve perception Rutgers? When it comes to Rutgers it's like a moving goal line that Rutgers will never reach. There are people out there who still think Rutgers s*cks, but Rutgers has been to bowl games 9 of the last 10 years. Rutgers was suppose to finish last in the B1G, yet they finished 3rd in the B1G East and 7th overall. The info that went into the rankings for this poll is superficial like assistant salaries, facilities, etc. Things like X's & O's, and winning don't carry as much weight. This is a case of setting the rules of the rankings to make your argument go your way.

This is a pretty good list...if the rating criteria is not coaching ability, but popularity.

Wow, Ohio State, Michigan, and Ped State are 3 of the top 4. Didn't see that coming. Any list about anything in this conference is always going to give these 3 teams and Nebraska more credit on name than any other team. The sad part is Franklin being in the same conversation as Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh is an absolute joke. Those guys are real football coaches.

If Edsall sucks so bad, why was UConn so much better when he was there? If Franklin sucks so bad, how good was Vandy for the century or so before he got there? And you try winning at Oregon State. This is not a ranking of how these guys are performing in their current jobs; it's a ranking of coaches overall. In that light, Flood is the one on whom the jury is still out -- only three seasons. He has time to move up, and I believe he will.

Even with that, Chryst? Um, really?

And I would agree with an above poster that the ranking is amusing enough as it is, but there is no way to group the coaches within the ranking. I mean, obviously Meyer is above everyone by a wide margin, while Harbaugh's work at Stanford merits him being above most by a solid margin. We know how good Dantonio is. And as much as I think Jerry Kill is a very solid coach, his health issues have to have an impact, don't they?

Look, these lists are fun. They generate conversation. But that's about where it stops.

And if you think these lists are silly, keep in mind that Terry Shea was once Big East Coach of the Year -- and probably deserved it, too. And that meant ...?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT