ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Tournament Bracket

fatsam98

All American
Gold Member
Mar 23, 2005
I don't think this could have set up any better for us. Can we make a run? Really tough to imagine after today, but this team has been pretty unpredictable...

Shock the world??

They'd have to want it. Mag included. But it's right there in front of them.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Knight Shift
In the past Years Pike has always done a good job to get us motivated and mentally prepared for a tourney run, the path is there, but this team just feels checked out.
In what year as this coaching staff prepared for a tourney run? Not in the BIG ten tournament , play in game, nit or NCAA. Everyone hates it but the coach has underachieved and been out coached badly in the biggest moments. So I politely disagree about Pike ever having us ready for a run. Will be there routing hard Go RU

• Haha
Reactions: Luvscarletknights
They were going through the motions today. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost by 20-30.

We had a massive open bracket when we played Houston in the NCAAs. Had we won it was final four all the way. We all saw it the minute the bracket was announced. We never capitalized. How can we say Pike has had us ready to roll in a tourney? NIT was a wash last year considering we were deflated the Sunday before not making the NCAAs

Reactions: socaldave
Ncca Tournament 1 win
Play in game- loss
Nit game- loss
3 wins in 5 years for big ten tournament

Never prepared for a run

Reactions: motorb54
They were going through the motions today. I wouldn't be shocked if we lost by 20-30.
Maybe. I think Pike was on point in his presser though.. layups and free throws don't fall and their energy levels drop as a result.

Thankfully we won't be at the RAC, we're fine at free throws on the road for whatever reason.

One other point, there will be NO ONE there Wednesday. Michigan/Maryland/Penn State/Rutgers.

Gonna be like that game down at College Park this season

I have had a lingering feeling we will make a run because Gavin's 3's will start falling like rain, but most likely wishful thinking, however probably our only chance. When he is so far out he should take the quick one dribble/one step then shoot, gets a few feet closer and forward momentum, he did that once and swished it.

In what year as this coaching staff prepared for a tourney run? Not in the BIG ten tournament , play in game, nit or NCAA. Everyone hates it but the coach has underachieved and been out coached badly in the biggest moments. So I politely disagree about Pike ever having us ready for a run. Will be there routing hard Go RU

Early years count…his first season as a 14 seed getting a a win against Ohio St. The next year Corey Sanders Mike Williams MSG tourney run where they won 2 games and nearly beat Purdue
Last year beating Michigan in what we all assumed was a play in game for a tourney bid

Reactions: ScarletDave
I have had a lingering feeling we will make a run because Gavin's 3's will start falling like rain, but most likely wishful thinking, however probably our only chance. When he is so far out he should take the quick one dribble/one step then shoot, gets a few feet closer and forward momentum, he did that once and swished it.
Agree, to win a couple games something unexpected has to happen and specifically someone scoring, same thought, Gavins shooting finally arrives and he makes 4 threes a game. He is getting the minutes and taking the shots last few games…

Rutgers - Maryland :

- Will 100 points be scored in total?
- Team that will win will have more players who truly want to win the game.
- It looks like we have checked out. Wouldn't shock me if Maryland feels the same.
- Julian Reese didn't play tonight. If he remains out for our game, I'll give the slight nod to us.
- Can't wait to see the scoring droughts from both teams in this game.

Rutgers - Maryland :

- Will 100 points be scored in total?
- Team that will win will have more players who truly want to win the game.
- It looks like we have checked out. Wouldn't shock me if Maryland feels the same.
- Julian Reese didn't play tonight. If he remains out for our game, I'll give the slight nod to us.
- Can't wait to see the scoring droughts from both teams in this game.
Supposedly they think he'll be back for Wednesday and they sat him out tonight as a precaution.

I know one thing though, Kevin Willard isn't gonna like having to fly to Minnesota a couple days after a road game at Happy Valley!

I don't think this could have set up any better for us. Can we make a run? Really tough to imagine after today, but this team has been pretty unpredictable...

Shock the world??

Wow, Fatsam, you're right. I don't think either of our teams has anything left, but that seems like the best path possible if they do.

Maryland may be playing without Reese again (ankle injury), as they did last night. That would make it tough on the Terrapin side.

Good luck to Rutgers...

ETA: Maryland is a baseball school now.

I know one thing though, Kevin Willard isn't gonna like having to fly to Minnesota a couple days after a road game at Happy Valley!
LOL. I wish he would realize that the topic of scheduling is his Coachspeak kryptonite...

Wow, Fatsam, you're right. I don't think either of our teams has anything left, but that seems like the best path possible if they do.

Maryland may be playing without Reese again (ankle injury), as they did last night. That would make it tough on the Terrapin side.

Good luck to Rutgers...
Haha, two (probably) disinterested teams, both with injuries, in an empty NBA arena.

It's gonna be epic.

Tell you what though, maybe whichever team wins gets a little of that energy back and goes on a run. You never know.

Reactions: Local Shill
Haha, two (probably) disinterested teams, both with injuries, in an empty NBA arena.

It's gonna be epic.

Tell you what though, maybe whichever team wins gets a little of that energy back and goes on a run. You never know.
I'll be waving the giant foam finger of whichever team wins for the rest of the season (however short that may be)...

Supposedly they think he'll be back for Wednesday and they sat him out tonight as a precaution.

If Willard loses to RU on Wednesday does his coaching seat at UM get a bit hot?

You folks are dreaming thinking we can win another game after that last display at home.

If Willard loses to RU on Wednesday does his coaching seat at UM get a bit hot?
I only hang around in a small corner of the fan base. But I will say that there is already a good amount of dis-satisfaction with the Coach Willard. Unfortunately for him, the discontent with Coach Turgeon, which multiplied astronomically when he left in mid-season, has been added to the burden on the current coach's back, as unfair as that is.

For me, Turgeon should get more respect and thanks for his work. He had a huge handicap -- the premature departure of talent. I think it was seven seasons in a row when he lost his best player, usually as a sophomore (ie, only got two seasons out of them), because they turned pro. Alex Len, another dude the next year, Huerter, Wiggins, Stix, the big center before Stix, are some of them. I can't remember all the names. That's a huge talent drain for a non-blue blood to sustain year after year, as his reward for recruiting high-level talent. Of course, there aren't that many other Maryland fans that see it that way.

I think Coach Willard will be fine, and the team should be okay next season. They have the five-star center coming in, and the two so-called freshman phenoms will come closer to meeting expectations (one of them was considered a so-called "lottery pick" level guy, and he played better and better as the season went on). I would bet they already have a new point guard picked out.

Many basketball people will say that Maryland fans have an inflated view of where they should be on the basketball landscape. That's possibly true, ha ha. Who am I to say?

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmoves
Ncca Tournament 1 win
Play in game- loss
Nit game- loss
3 wins in 5 years for big ten tournament

Never prepared for a run

I think in all the ncaa tournament games we were underdogs . In all his losses in the BIG tournament we were underdogs . Not sure what you expected.

No one cares about the NIT

Shock the world??

Disagree. Playing checked out Michigan would have been better for us than playing a big physical Maryland team. On the bright side, after the Maryland game we can finally place this FRANKENROSTER (stole this name from someone else on Rivals) back in the grave from where it should never have emerged.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT