ADVERTISEMENT

Best Angle Of The Postgame Drama By Far...

I’m saying the ref should’ve blown the damn whistle and put Caleb on the line for that ridiculous “screen”. If it wasn’t the last minute in a game where the outcome was clearly determined there’s no way that’s not called.
Miller got leveled on a similar screen against Seton Hall with no call during the middle of a game.

Reactions: Night Man
I love Knight sticking up for his players like that. It's not in Pike's nature but the players I'm sure love seeing coach Knight have their back. Talk of this somehow hurting his chances at a head coaching gig are laughable

It looks like the Michigan guy is trying to talk down to Knight in that clip btw

That was just an unfortunate thing. There was nothing flagrant about that.
agreed.. unfortunate, unnecessary.. but really.. why is Caleb playing that hard at that moment that he cannot look up and see that coming? The ball handler should NOT have expected Caleb to play that close.. and Caleb should not have expected for a screen to be coming at that moment.. the game was over.

This is akin to Schiano having his D play to try to get a turnover during a victory formation snap. At some point, it is bad form to do so.. by general agreement of how things are to be done.

BTW I rewatched this same great angle vid on my big computer screen and I want to revise something. It appears as though B. Knight is actually jawing with Dir. of Player Dev. Jay Smith FIRST and Diabate hears it and takes offense and becomes a part of it. I initially thought it was the other way around. And who knows, maybe B. Knight was talking about Diabate to Smith. Who knows. But it def. seems like Smith first, Diabate second, not my OG post of Diabate first, Smith second. Smith and B. Knight are damn near face to face initially.
And that is how it should play out. Not coach to opposing player

agreed.. unfortunate, unnecessary.. but really.. why is Caleb playing that hard at that moment that he cannot look up and see that coming? The ball handler should NOT have expected Caleb to play that close.. and Caleb should not have expected for a screen to be coming at that moment.. the game was over.

This is akin to Schiano having his D play to try to get a turnover during a victory formation snap. At some point, it is bad form to do so.. by general agreement of how things are to be done.
Schianno did that in a one possession situation. Not 3 or 4.

Schianno did that in a one possession situation. Not 3 or 4.
point is.. Caleb could have spent his injury getting back and not hounding the ball.. get back and stop penetration would have been a better use of energy and less risk of getting laid out...

I agree to an extent but as an assistant it’s good to show some fire because the HC cannot. Pike was a scrappy player and it is guys like him and Caleb that piss opposing players off because they play great D. I watched it and lived it many times over the years as a player and a coach and now as a fan. Caleb plays great D and frustrates the crap out of other teams.
Caleb is also quietly the biggest trash talker on the team by far. So good defender + trash talk is a recipe to get an opponent fired up.

Last edited:

Yeah! It was our fault...Thanks.

Reactions: GORU2014 and ru66
point is.. Caleb could have spent his injury getting back and not hounding the ball.. get back and stop penetration would have been a better use of energy and less risk of getting laid out...
They're continuing to play hard.. he's defending. Not giving them free time up the court. He's doing what he's supposed to do unless coach tells him to back off.

They're continuing to play hard.. he's defending. Not giving them free time up the court. He's doing what he's supposed to do unless coach tells him to back off.
right, same as the other team. play to the final bell. Caleb's defending up 10 with 5 seconds and got screened hard. Can't have it both ways.

I was curious if Baker would end the game on an uncontested slam...am glad he did not.

right, same as the other team. play to the final bell. Caleb's defending up 10 with 5 seconds and got screened hard. Can't have it both ways.

I was curious if Baker would end the game on an uncontested slam...am glad he did not.
Yeah but one difference.. he was social distancing on defense playing AT least 6-7 feet back off the guy. A pick there wasn't even needed for the guy bringing the ball up. At the same time I didn't see it as that hard a pick. But I wasn't the one picked either.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers

Congratulations for your 25th consecutive anti Rutgers post on a Rutgers fan message board.

Not talked about, but with a minute or so left in the game with MI pressing us on the inbound, Dickinson and Cliff were isolated in the front court. Dickinson blatantly shoved Cliff, but nobody’s attention was on that end of the court.

Caleb was playing hard at that moment because he had just been pushed at the other end. He was fired up. Teammates should have called out the pending screen but Dickinson is a jackhole for doing it. Will be interesting to watch the re-match.

Reactions: DirtyRU
But the foul was called on Mag, even with an elbow to the face, with no review on the monitors. Mulcahy has some experience with that, too. Seems our guys take their share of shots to the head that end up being fouls on us.
I've watched the replay of Mag's injury several times in slow motion.. To me it looked like Mag ran out to try to draw a charge or block the lane on a driving Kobe Bufkin who was essentially unguarded at the time, (probably due to extra attention being given to Dickinson by RU defenders and other split second cover switches related to that), but Mag was still moving forward toward Bufkin at the time of the collision with his arms raised over his head trying to draw a charge, resulting in a blocking foul. Either Bufkin's head or his elbow hit Mag in the face as he drove into Mag. He ran directly into the front of Mag's body, but Mag wasn't stationary yet. Mag seems to be fearless when it comes to attempting to draw a charge. It's how he got injured initially at Prolific Prep too.

Last edited:
I've watched the replay of Mag's injury several times in slow motion.. To me it looked like Mag ran out to try to draw a charge or block the lane on a driving Kobe Bufkin who was essentially unguarded at the time, (probably due to extra attention being given to Dickinson by RU defenders and other split second cover switches related to that), but Mag was still moving forward toward Bufkin at the time of the collision with his arms raised over his head trying to draw a charge, resulting in a blocking foul. Either Bufkin's head or his elbow hit Mag in the face as he drove into Mag. He ran directly into the front of Mag's body, but Mag wasn't stationary yet. Mag seems to be fearless when it comes to attempting to draw a charge. It's how he got injured initially at Prolific Prep too.

Sure - not arguing the block/charge, since he was definitely late. But usually any time an elbow makes contact with a head resulting in a player going down, there's at least a review.

Not talked about, but with a minute or so left in the game with MI pressing us on the inbound, Dickinson and Cliff were isolated in the front court. Dickinson blatantly shoved Cliff, but nobody’s attention was on that end of the court.
Don’t tell that bozo Shelby that. They’ll say it was just Dickinson trying to foul to extend the game. I’m so pissed it was missed on TV because it was pretty aggressive. Obviously trying to start something

Reactions: FastMJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT