ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Leadership

BillyC80

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Seems like Cam has emerged as a floor leader for us. Besides his stellar play he exudes a strong level of determination and vocal presence that shows he’s all business out there.

As we were chipping away against PSU, I could see it in his face and his demeanor as he set about directing his teammates and willing them to victory.

I get the feeling he knows he’s found a great place to showcase his talents on a big stage, and he’s gonna do everything in his power to lead us to victory.

Seems like Cam has emerged as a floor leader for us. Besides his stellar play he exudes a strong level of determination and vocal presence that shows he’s all business out there.

As we were chipping away against PSU, I could see it in his face and his demeanor as he set about directing his teammates and willing them to victory.

I get the feeling he knows he’s found a great place to showcase his talents on a big stage, and he’s gonna do everything in his power to lead us to victory.
After his game winning three pointer versus Purdue, he got in the face of the team returning to the court and was emphatically emphasizing that we just needed one stop
Even though he was not going back on the court he was fully engaged

One thing that stood out from the game-ending play vs. PSU was that there must've been a whole bunch of s-talking from the PSU fans going on all game. After the strip and Palmquist recovers the loose ball, Cam is begging for the ball to run out the clock, heave it and wave bye to the fans. Hopefully the Minnesota fans have a similar effect on him tonight!

I was fortunate enough to sit pretty close to the court for the Maryland game in January......let's just say Cam is not shy about listening to some smack-talk and dishing some out.......maybe that Maryland game and some of the Maryland roster probably knows Cam from HS days, since he's from Maryland, but when Cam is hitting shots, he's just like any other player who oozes swagger and confidence.

If Cam gets going tonight early, it could be a long night for the Gophers. I don't see him getting into a trash talk item with Minnesota, but he definitely is more comfortable around his teammates now in February/March vs November/December.

Being able to shoot and score sometimes immediately elevates certain players to a leadership role. Being able to defend/rebound and get stops is what makes a leader in the RU basketball program. Cam is doing more rebounding and getting his hands in place more. His transition defense isnt going to be a strength, but I'm not asking him to be great in that aspect.

Cam with another year at RU becomes possibly one of the biggest all-time portal steals in the B1G in the last 4 to 5 years. It's one thing to get a Terrance Shannon at Illinois on a 1 year rental or picking up grad transfer guards like Michigan has done 3 straight recruiting cycles.

It is a whole other item to get a plug and play 2 year starter, for a team starved for perimeter shooting and excellent FT shooting and having that player deliver with 3 program changing shots/performances (At Purdue, at Northwestern and at Wisconsin).

I say this in a good way…..I don’t think we have a single leader. We have an infrastructure where many different people can take “leadership roles” on any given day an assert themselves.
Agreed, and the reason I said ‘a’ leader and not ‘the’ leader. My OP was meant to highlight his leadership qualities and determination to win.

It has been said many times that Cam is the most competitive player on the team. Sure, he looks like a “nice” kid, but the dude has “eye of the tiger.”

After he hit the late three against NW on the road, he yelled out “It got quiet!!!” as he was running back on defense. The dude competes.

Well said. He is very mature and seems to play at an even keel. Very focused. Has tremendous court awareness. As a side note, he is not on social media. He helps the team in so many ways besides scoring with his rebounding, defense, and steals and leadership.

If you watch Cam off the ball, he does sooooo many of the small things. You can tell he excelled in multiple sports...he reads the game well and is tenacious.

He is also not afraid to be nasty. He'll throw elbows, shift his hips, etc..any little thing to get an edge. And show his opponent he's right there and isn't going anywhere.

Put simply, I absolutely love the kid...and what he brings to the team is much much more than his stat line.

If you watch Cam off the ball, he does sooooo many of the small things. You can tell he excelled in multiple sports...he reads the game well and is tenacious.

He is also not afraid to be nasty. He'll throw elbows, shift his hips, etc..any little thing to get an edge. And show his opponent he's right there and isn't going anywhere.

Put simply, I absolutely love the kid...and what he brings to the team is much much more than his stat line.
Love watching him off he ball. It's crazy we don't get him more 3PA.
Watching some other teams, they'll set 4-5-6 picks in one possession for their shooters. I wish we did more of that for Cam and next year with him and Griffiths...
I think Griffiths has some of that nasty in him too.

Love watching him off he ball. It's crazy we don't get him more 3PA.
Watching some other teams, they'll set 4-5-6 picks in one possession for their shooters. I wish we did more of that for Cam and next year with him and Griffiths...
I think Griffiths has some of that nasty in him too.
Said in an earlier thread that IMO he is this years MVP so far.

After his game winning three pointer versus Purdue, he got in the face of the team returning to the court and was emphatically emphasizing that we just needed one stop
Even though he was not going back on the court he was fully engaged
Also you want the ball in his hands if there was time to foul us
Here, there was not, but the instinct was good

I say this in a good way…..I don’t think we have a single leader. We have an infrastructure where many different people can take “leadership roles” on any given day an assert themselves.
I think that's probably true. Certainly on-court, as we've seen a bunch of different players step up and provide the spark when needed.

Cam and Caleb are consistently the last to leave the floor in the pre-game shoot around opting instead to get last minute repetition on their offensive game. Easy to see how those two lead by example.
I noticed this during pre-game vs. Michigan - the entire team (including Caleb I believe) went into the locker room prior to introductions and Cam was still on the court hoisting 3's, idk if he ever even went back into the locker room before the game started.

I noticed this during pre-game vs. Michigan - the entire team (including Caleb I believe) went into the locker room prior to introductions and Cam was still on the court hoisting 3's, idk if he ever even went back into the locker room before the game started.
He has been doing this all year. Often times Caleb is out shooting with him.

Not saying Cam isn't one of our leaders, but jawing with opposing fans and players doesn't fit my definition of leadership. We aren't privy to the locker room, practices, weight room, and off season workouts. That's were leaders shine.

Not saying Cam isn't one of our leaders, but jawing with opposing fans and players doesn't fit my definition of leadership. We aren't privy to the locker room, practices, weight room, and off season workouts. That's were leaders shine.
I agree about that. I prefer that players avoid that sort of extracurricular nonsense. If they want to talk a little to other players, keeping things light but maybe getting in their heads a bit, then that's one thing. But there's no value in getting into a pissing contest with fans - that's pure distraction, IMO.

I watch film of games (in multiple sports) to see 3 things.

1. As a fan.
2. Scheme wise.
3. I like to watch player leadership and reactions.

I rewatched the PSU game for #3 last night. If you watch the reactions and energy that PM, CM, CS, OP, CO, and many more bring to the floow you can see such leadership and buy in. You would be surprised at how many sports teams (at all levels) you can watch where kids do not necessarily celebrate other peoples success, but that is not the case with this bball team. I think they had to find their structure a bit after MM went down, but our culture pushed through.

I watch film of games (in multiple sports) to see 3 things.

1. As a fan.
2. Scheme wise.
3. I like to watch player leadership and reactions.

I rewatched the PSU game for #3 last night. If you watch the reactions and energy that PM, CM, CS, OP, CO, and many more bring to the floow you can see such leadership and buy in. You would be surprised at how many sports teams (at all levels) you can watch where kids do not necessarily celebrate other peoples success, but that is not the case with this bball team. I think they had to find their structure a bit after MM went down, but our culture pushed through.
I can see why Pike says he really likes this team. I know it's often coach-speak, but he says it enough and with enough emphasis that I see that he means it (and those of us paying attention can see why he'd feel that way). They do root for each other. They are unselfish (perhaps to a fault sometimes). They never give up (the PSU game was a great example of that, but there were other times as well).

Reactions: RW90
I can see why Pike says he really likes this team. I know it's often coach-speak, but he says it enough and with enough emphasis that I see that he means it (and those of us paying attention can see why he'd feel that way). They do root for each other. They are unselfish (perhaps to a fault sometimes). They never give up (the PSU game was a great example of that, but there were other times as well).
Cam and OP are my two favorite right now. They celebrate so much, when other people mae plays. I think it really speaks volume about how much Camo has bought in as a transfer, and to OP having sat the bench for so long.

Cam and OP are my two favorite right now. They celebrate so much, when other people mae plays. I think it really speaks volume about how much Camo has bought in as a transfer, and to OP having sat the bench for so long.
Yeah, it's hard to not love OP for his attitude.

I also like how much OP is improving on D over the past few games. He's figuring out how to work within the system given his physical limitations. An apparently smart kid or at least he has good court sense (or is being really well coached). Maybe all of that.

Reactions: gef21 and BillyC80
Eh this team was in free fall as cam played every game, we won a game against an unathletic Wisconsin. Then Derek Simpson comes off the bench to potentially save the season and Cam is getting leadership kudos?

Feels off to me. It should be clear to everyone paul and McConnell are the leaders, good or bad. And the rest of the guys are all bought in.

One of my own rules when I played was never engage asshole fans or let them even get into your head and lose focus even for a second.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
What are leaders, really ? From the above it seems like you think the leaders are the guys who just had the best game ? We don’t know the dynamic and need to ignore coachspeak. Is it an overrated thing ? What made Jeter a leader ? If he were on dismal Oakland, would he have been a leader ? Was Jordan the leader on the 6 championship teams or was he just the best player in the league ? I know I’ll get beat up about this, but I don’t think ‘leader’ matters to team success. Skill matters. Does Minnesota not have a leader ? Is Mahomes a better leader than Mike White ?

Last edited:
lol....a couple of you guys...there is jawing going on in college hoops, on the floor, almost constantly!!! You don't always see it, let alone hear it, but it IS going on. As far as the fans, quite honestly, couldn't care less if Cam, Caleb, or anyone else, tells them to STFU following the game IF there was due course for doing so. During the game, different story, but I don't think Cam was doing as such vs PSU.

One of my own rules when I played was never engage asshole fans or let them even get into your head and lose focus even for a second.
You missed out on a lot of fun. Totally respectable if that's not your thing, but some people feed off this and I think that's really cool.

You missed out on a lot of fun. Totally respectable if that's not your thing, but some people feed off this and I think that's really cool.
I’m talking football , not basketball so a little different environment. But I don‘t agree with you . Getting down and dirty in the mud hole as say a bunch of PSU dirt bag fans just puts me at their level . No thanks my focus was always on the field and i would not let any of them get into my head , if you allow them to get into your head ….they win!

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I’m talking football , not basketball so a little different environment. But I don‘t agree with you . Getting down and dirty in the mud hole as say a bunch of PSU dirt bag fans just puts me at their level . No thanks my focus was always on the field and i would not let any of them get into my head , if you allow them to get into your head ….they win!
Definitely different with football.

Basketball sometimes fans are pretty much in your face or at your back or by your side.
One gym we played at in HS, the fans brought cowbells and they'd be ringing them practically in your ear when you took the ball out of bounds on the sideline. I was always able to tell them how much I enjoyed sex with their mom without letting them get into my head. If you're already talking shit to opponents, it's not that different to have some fun with a few fans.

What are leaders, really ? From the above it seems like you think the leaders are the guys who just had the best game ? We don’t know the dynamic and need to ignore coachspeak. Is it an overrated thing ? What made Jeter a leader ? If he were on dismal Oakland, would he have been a leader ? Was Jordan the leader on the 6 championship teams or was he just the best player in the league ? I know I’ll get beat up about this, but I don’t think ‘leader’ matters to team success. Skill matters. Does Minnesota not have a leader ? Is Mahomes a better leader than Mike White ?
Why do you put a space before your question marks?

Actually, I don't put the space before the question mark. I put a space after the terminal word. There's a grammar difference, btw. Not the same thing as with a period or semicolon.

Yeah, it's hard to not love OP for his attitude.

I also like how much OP is improving on D over the past few games. He's figuring out how to work within the system given his physical limitations. An apparently smart kid or at least he has good court sense (or is being really well coached). Maybe all of that.
I have been hoping he was going to improve on defense. That was what kept him off of the court. I really hope he doesn't transfer after this year.

Reactions: mildone
In BB- I don't mind a player yapping at the opposing fan when they do something in their face. But yapping back at fans when losing- that is not good- Cam with the "It got quiet" is motivational for the team more than a yap at a fan...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT