ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron Spencer's parents with thinly veiled shots at the RU coaching staff and the Big Ten

Yeah that could be a fair reading. I still think this is all just basically fluff. The dude got paid and is a major piece on a national title contender. That’s why he left. The rest is all noise.
I tend to agree. There is always something to complain about. If he really wanted out why did he wait so long?

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Many posters need to slow their roll on Mom and Dad Spencer. He is lucky to have concerned, involved, forward thinking parents. In fact I heard they, on Cam’s behalf, broke up with his current girlfriend and are about to propose, once again on his behalf, to a grad student well connected with ESPN in hopes on enhancing his NBA draft potential. Cam does have a say in where the four of them will honeymoon. Lucky Cam 😉

agree. just like this year Pike didn't seem to do anything to curtail the usual reckless shooting from you know who, but after the obligatory Cliff postup airballs the first two possessions each game last year, which took the term 'reckless' to a new level.

Reactions: socaldave
Cam could take an educated guess on what kind of RU booster Nil support he could get to stay.
Pike could try , but matching UConn would be hard.
Spenser knew if he waited UConn would just find another talent in the portal to
pay to play..
Can't blame Pike for not getting the bucks quick enough.
In the mercenary world of portal following the money , waiting for the program your at out of loyalty will get you seeing the money another program offered go to someone else
Can knew he had to take what UConn was offering ASAP or lose it to who UConn had next on their list.
Lets assume NIL money was an important part of it.. if we pony up for Cam for one year.. do we miss out on some.. or even most.. of the guys coming in who may very well have been a package deal?

I wish Cam and family luck. Would have been nice to have him this year but with Mag's injury I don't know he makes all that much of a difference in the final results. I mean.. we lost in the first round of the NIT with him last year... and that is not a thinly veiled indictment of him... just means we underperformed with him and with a better cast than we have this year.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I don’t assume that it was about NIL. My take is that he wanted to play with better players, an elite coach and hopefully play his way into more pro opportunities. That’s why he didn’t give RU a chance to match NIL. That didn’t matter.

It's not as if UCONN is just any random program in the country either. Defending national champion and a top team in the country this season. Their success doesn't validate the entire Big East over the entire Big Ten. Rutgers beat Seton Hall. Purdue beat Marquette. IIRC I think even Michigan beat St. John's. We will see what happens the rest of March. As far as Spencer is concerned, I view it as he wasn't good enough to elevate Rutgers last season so instead of staying and working through it at the place that gave him his chance he ran to somewhere it was easy for him. I'd say I don't view him any more favorably as a pro prospect than I did last season. Possibly less.

Reactions: essexknight
It's not as if UCONN is just any random program in the country either. Defending national champion and a top team in the country this season. Their success doesn't validate the entire Big East over the entire Big Ten. Rutgers beat Seton Hall. Purdue beat Marquette. IIRC I think even Michigan beat St. John's. We will see what happens the rest of March. As far as Spencer is concerned, I view it as he wasn't good enough to elevate Rutgers last season so instead of staying and working through it at the place that gave him his chance he ran to somewhere it was easy for him. I'd say I don't view him any more favorably as a pro prospect than I did last season. Possibly less.
i disagree. re: pro eval.....being the best player on a motley crew of good athletes on an at best average team is not the same thing as being the best player (or close to it) on one of the best teams in the country.

He'd at least get a bigger foreign contract, even if not a more favorable NBA look.

Yeah, I know the ship sailed on this guy a long time ago but these are the most honest comments anyone close to him has stated publicly about his time here and his departure.

From his father:

“Cam had been speaking with Rutgers about what the following year was going to look like, and he just wanted to play at the highest level he possibly could play,” Bruce said. “That doesn’t mean Big Ten players don’t make it to the NBA, but for Cameron, for the style of play in the Big Ten and the way he plays the game, and the perception of him as being less athletic than the next kid, being in a more athletic environment to see whether he would sink or swim was pretty important in our eyes.”

From his mother:

“I remember being at the airport after the UConn visit and saying to Bruce, ‘If he doesn’t come here, he’s crazy,’” Donna said. “Bruce was like, ‘You can’t say that, it has to be his decision.’ The four of us, when we sat down, it was just a no-brainer and he’s never looked back. It’s been such a great experience. The Rutgers opportunity was fantastic and he’s very appreciative of it, but I think what he loves about UConn is the way they hold them accountable."

Classless

Hard to turn down playing for the best coach in the country. Especially one who is being lauded for his extensive offensive sets.

This is stupid for multiple reasons. One, no one else is going to be to follow this point you’re attempting to make across multiple threads. Second, the claim “Hurley is the best coach in the country” is a lot stronger than “Pike tells his players what is expected of them.” The first is a strong claim that requires him to be better than 364 other people. The latter is claiming that a guy who has reached the highest level of coaching isn’t an extremely terrible manager.

This is stupid for multiple reasons. One, no one else is going to be to follow this point you’re attempting to make across multiple threads. Second, the claim “Hurley is the best coach in the country” is a lot stronger than “Pike tells his players what is expected of them.” The first is a strong claim that requires him to be better than 364 other people. The latter is claiming that a guy who has reached the highest level of coaching isn’t an extremely terrible manager.
You know you wanted to say this as soon as you asked a dumb question like “how do you know?”.

If you want to argue anyone is better than Dan Hurley right now after winning a national title and soon to be national coach of the year, make your argument. Don’t waste our time.

This reply is stupid for multiple reasons.
What is this like “I know you are but what am I?” Jesus you post like a 10 year old.
You know you wanted to say this as soon as you asked a dumb question like “how do you know”.
What?
If you want to argue anyone is better than Dan Hurley right now after winning a national title and soon to be national coach of the year, make your argument.
The fact that you think the last guy to win a natty is “the best coach” and then I guess it will be some other guy next year kind of explains your terrible posting. For ****’s sake man, take a view longer than a goldfish.

Hard to turn down playing for the best coach in the country. Especially one who is being lauded for his extensive offensive sets.
I don't know of Hurley is the best college coach.What I do know is that UConn has five starters that can score 20 points which makes them difficult to defend.Their halfcourt offense with player and ball movement is totally lacking at Rutgers for a very long time.

What is this like “I know you are but what am I?” Jesus you post like a 10 year old.
You should know, you just did the same thing.
?
The fact that you think the last guy to win a natty is “the best coach” and then I guess it will be some other guy next year kind of explains your terrible posting. For ****’s sake man, take a view longer than a goldfish.
Oh no it’s so hard mathematically to win a post season tournament it has nothing to do with coaching ability it’s just large variance oh no oh no because of that I can never take a stand on anything oh no oh no

argue someone is better or join a math board

If you have someone in mind who’s won a natty, coach of the year, and took over 3 different programs in the crapper and improved them dramatically I will listen.

You should know, you just did the same thing.

?

Oh no it’s so hard mathematically to win a post season tournament it has nothing to do with coaching ability it’s just large variance oh no oh no because of that I can never take a stand on anything oh no oh no

argue someone is better or join a math board

If you have someone in mind who’s won a natty, coach of the year, and took over 3 different programs in the crapper and improved them dramatically I will listen.
Hahaha oh wow

Wake me up in 10 years when he has that kind of track record of consistent excellence and we can talk about even putting him in the same tier as those guys much less tackling the unknowable question of “who is the bestest coach”

I know for a fact the parents were not fond of Pikiell to say the least I knew he was out of here!!
If the Spencers can't see the difference in class between Coach Pikiell and Hurley, I'm sure some of that poor judgement rubbed off on their spoiled rotten son. F$uk MR and especially Mrs Spencer and double F$uk Cam. He looked out for number one knowing what that would do to his team mates.

Last edited:
The guy never misses an opportunity to genuflect for Hurley, it’s odd.

Reactions: fluoxetine
The guy never misses an opportunity to genuflect for Hurley, it’s odd.

RUSojo is one of this board's "one trick ponys". His trick is: Pick sucks. Pike doesnt run an offense. Rutgers dropped the ball not getting Hurley. Hurley is great

nearly every post he makes revolves around that theme.

Like all one trick ponys his act gets boring really quick.

RUSojo is one of this board's "one trick ponys". His trick is: Pick sucks. Pike doesnt run an offense. Rutgers dropped the ball not getting Hurley. Hurley is great

Guy needs to be an equal opportunity complainer like the rest of us...

• Haha
Reactions: RedTeam1994
My take on the parents’ explanation is that he wanted to show he could play at the highest level of CBB with some of the best players on a bigger stage.

If they are to be believed, It wasnt primarily a money grab (which Is ok too). I don’t understand the ‘accountability’ point, however.

I don’t really have any issue with what the parents said. Guard play is better in the Big East. And he’s playing for the defending champs, showing he’s got NBA potential.

He used to also say he can't recruit

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Of course.. but I wasn't the one being a hypocrite.

Methinks that perhaps you don't understand what the term hypocrite means. My OP in this thread was what is known as an "observation"...which was then followed by my own insight (which you conveniently chose not to quote LOL) as to what Cam's mother might have been really referring to.

Fear not though for in case you might not have known, Google deploys free word definitions for you to get things straight in the future to help support your seemingly unending quest to be TKR's chief of the "Pedantic Police".

What I don't get is, it isn't like he entered the portal early or even on time, bc he wasnt sold on RU, and then Uconn was his best suiter.

He waited until after everything then got enticed by $$ and georgetown. So alotta this is bullshit.

Reactions: RUChoppin and cm_13
Cam is going to play in Europe because Cam is too INTENSE for the NBA
His brother plays for the Santa Cruz Warriors and I get to observe him time to time. He too is intense, but his skill level and athleticism don't match that swagger he sometimes tries to show with that intensity. Plays hard though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT