ADVERTISEMENT

I would like to see Syracuse and UConn in the Big Ten

Al,

You're right about them being our rivals (or what would have passed for rivals during our Big East years).

You're wrong about either school deserving an invite to the Big 10. What do they bring to the table?

Syracuse is a private school, not AAU, doesn't fit the profile at all. Might have helped the BTN 10 years ago.

Connecticut fits the profile of flagship state school, AAU, but doesn't move the needle anywhere else.

It will never happen
UConn AAU ? Doubt it.

UConn only cares about basketball, and that's it. They suck at basically every other sport, aren't AAU so they fail the academic test, and aren't in an area where they would legit make the B1G money like FL with FSU or UNC could in the Carolinas.
Their basketball programs are undeniably awesome. They've given up on football though.
I've got family in Connecticut. The only time they ever bring up college football is when I bring it up.
They don't care about UConn football.

Last edited:
If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.
You realize Rutgers is closer to Stamford than UConn is, right?

Value as a rival?
So zero dollars.

Again, you would tell HC Schiano "We are going to vote yes in UConn and Syracuse. It'll likely end up costing us money so you'll have to cut costs."

Your proposal harms Rutgers Athletics, not enhances it.

So what if Rutgers is closer to Stamford. The Bulk of UConns alumni are actually located closer to Stamford, too.

So Stop saying taking UConn is going to cost us money when it’s not true. Schiano is going to have more money than he ever dreamed of.

They took Oregon and Washington when they took USC and UCLA. This would be a similar type scenario, where you might take FSU, SU, UConn, and Clemson, especially as UNC could go to the SEC.

Their basketball programs are undeniably awesome. They've given on on football though.
I've got family in Connecticut. The only time they ever bring up college football is when I bring it up.
They could easily restore their football program in short order.

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
I consider Penn State the Midwest, but sure even if you count them then you’re introducing more competition regardless. It’s dumb.

All those schools are who they are because they made commitments to those programs while RU didn’t.

Miami? lol. We have a better program than Miami Al.

We don’t have rivalries in the B1G because we haven’t been around long enough. Maryland doesn’t have any either…

Eventually we will play in big games with PSU and they will be our natural rival. Our issue is that we entered the B1G with a coach who was in over his head and then hired a dud immediately after. GS will fix this mess. We don’t need Syracuse or UConn to save us lmao.
You’re in California so you don’t understand PSUs impact. They have a ton of alumni in the northeast, especially in NYC and Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania. Most of their alumni live closer to Rutgers than Happy Valley.

The Texas Arizona Bar, in Hoboken, used to host Rutgers games, but decided to host Penn State Games because they’re more profitable.

Conveniently located across the street from the PATH, NJ Transit, Ferry and Light Rail; Texas Arizona is the place in Hoboken for great food, sports, and fun. Your Home for Penn State Nittany Lion Football! We show all your favorite teams from the NFL, MLB, NBA, and the NHL, plus many NCAA events on 30 flat-screen TVs.

If we played a neutral site game at Giants Stadium they would easily outdraw us, just as they did historically when we played them there. Their alumni are like rats, they’re everywhere.

I’ve come to realize that football success isn’t as important to Rutgers alumni, as it is to Penn State alumni. For example, Our level of NIL Support is nowhere it needs to be. Without that, it will be very difficult to attain competitiveness with Penn State.

Last edited:
No, they can't.
Sure they can. They played in a BCS bowl, while in the Big East. They have excellent football facilities. Lastly, they have boosters willing to buy players on the basketball side. Put them in the Big Ten, and they will do the same for football. With Big Ten membership they would be competitive in 5 years or less.

Sure they can. They played in a BCS bowl, while in the Big East. They have excellent football facilities. Lastly, they have boosters willing to buy players on the basketball side. Put them in the Big Ten, and they will do the same for football. With Big Ten membership they would be competitive in 5 years or less.
How could they be competitive in 5 years or less but Schiano needs 6+ and a bunch of free years?

• Love
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Once the ACC dies Syracuse and UConn (already there) will likely end up being what Temple is to Rutgers now. A regional punching bag and a farm team for bigger/wealthier teams to poach talent.

Booster money might delay the inevitable but once athletes start getting paid they're basically going to be operating at a G5 level.

Like UConn, I'd go all in on basketball if I was Cuse.

The future is bleak.

Of all the crazy ideas that have been posted on this board over the years, this is a contender for the worst. Let's invite teams that won't bring in as much money as the conference currently makes per team, so everyone's share goes down...

- that play within a relatively short distance, making it easier for those schools to recruit against us, which would make it harder for us to get and keep more talent on the roster,

- so we can have local rivalries with two conference mates in football.

Office Space Idea GIF

Once the ACC dies Syracuse and UConn (already there) will likely end up being what Temple is to Rutgers now. A regional punching bag and a farm team for bigger/wealthier teams to poach talent.

Booster money might delay the inevitable but once athletes start getting paid they're basically going to be operating at a G5 level.

Like UConn, I'd go all in on basketball if I was Cuse.

The future is bleak.
And that's what Rutgers fans really want Cuse and Connie to become, just another version of Temple. A punching bag opponent for Game 1 or 2 in the season, not an equal.

Reactions: RU-AGK
If the financials made sense, I wouldn't care.

I'm not worried about recruiting because I don't think it's just "Big Ten" that is our advantage over them.
It helps but isn't some silver bullet.
Even in the same conference we should still be ahead of them.

But the financials won't work.

Note: that is why Rutgers was never a "risk" to the Big Ten. Because these exact same conversations occurred and the financials DID work.

Of all the crazy ideas that have been posted on this board over the years, this is a contender for the worst. Let's invite teams that won't bring in as much money as the conference currently makes per team, so everyone's share goes down...

- that play within a relatively short distance, making it easier for those schools to recruit against us, which would make it harder for us to get and keep more talent on the roster,

Office Space Idea GIF
B1G schools would vote it down anyway. Only a handful of schools would be allowed in the B1G at this point (UNC, FSU, ND, maybe UVA). Connie and Cuse ain't on the list.

Funny thing is we COULD play both as rivals while making sure they stay in worse conferences than us (think UGA/GT, Washington/WSU, Oregon/Oregon State, Kentucky/Louisville, Iowa/ISU). I wouldn't be opposed to being Big Brother to either. Hard no on them joining the B1G though.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUtrumpet92
If the financials made sense, I wouldn't care.

I'm not worried about recruiting because I don't think it's just "Big Ten" that is our advantage over them.
It helps but isn't some silver bullet.
Even in the same conference we should still be ahead of them.

But the financials won't work.

Note: that is why Rutgers was never a "risk" to the Big Ten. Because these exact same conversations occurred and the financials DID work.
Fair enough. So you would ok with it IF the Financials work. As long as their Marginal Revenue = Marginal Cost, the financials could work. We had a 7 year buy on period where we started with our big east amount, which was gradually increased. Syracuse and UConn could start with their respective amounts, which would be gradually increased over time. Washington and Oregon have the same phase in situation, but can’t remember the financials. Whereas USC and UCLA are full members because they bring in the LA market to the table.

Their basketball programs are undeniably awesome. They've given up on football though.
Correct. Connecticut is a big college basketball and college hockey state. Football not even on their radar.

Reactions: Kbee3
Our rival is PSU, It could change over time but as a student, the only team anyone actually has a hatred for among the student body is Penn State. They may not think about Rutgers yet... but wait till 2025.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Correct. Connecticut is a big college basketball and college hockey state. Football not even on their radar.
Put UConn in the Big Ten and Football will be on their radar in a big way. They already proved to be competitive in the Big East and they have the booster support to build a competitive program in the Big Ten. Their football operations building and practice facility was fully funded by a single donor in the aughts.

We deserve to have a rivalry, something we will never have with other Big Ten programs, for various reasons, I’ve already pointed out.

Our rival is PSU, It could change over time but as a student, the only team anyone actually has a hatred for among the student body is Penn State. They may not think about Rutgers yet... but wait till 2025.
Come on! Be serious! We show up to the game and Penn State beats our @ss. What kind of rivalry is that!!! Just because the student body chants F PSU, doesn’t make it a rivalry.

We’ve only beaten Penn State TWICE in our entire history. We need a football practice facility and we need people to seriously pony up NIL for us to even have a chance to be competitive with PSU. For now, Penn State is unrivaled.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
If we ever build a Fieldhouse, we’ll be far superior to all the other conference teams, and hence won’t have any peers or rivals either, just for opposite reasons. Ain’t that right Fieldhouse Al ?

It will be great. It will be a glorious Fieldhouse with a hundred foot gilded statue of Schiano holding a giant axe. The statue will be so shiny it will be visible from space and require double-thick solar eclipse glasses in order to safely look at it.

Fieldhouse Al nailed it. Can’t happen soon enough.

Come on! Be serious! We show up to the game and Penn State beats our @ss. What kind of rivalry is that!!! Just because the student body chants F PSU, doesn’t make it a rivalry.

We’ve only beaten Penn State TWICE in our entire history. We need a football practice facility and we need people to seriously pony up NIL for us to even have a chance to be competitive with PSU. For now, Penn State is unrivaled.
Correct

I’m happy to continue to kick all the OBE crap team’s asses OOC or in a bowl. Giving them a lifeline/money that comes with B1G - no f’n way. Even if they were worthy, and they most definitely are not - it is a stupid, stupid idea for RU.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigmatt718
I’m happy to continue to kick all the OBE crap team’s assess OOC or in a bowl. Giving them a lifeline/money that comes with B1G - no f’n way. Even if they were worthy, and they most definitely are not - it is a stupid, stupid idea for RU.
This is the correct answer.

Like I said earlier, invite them to dinner or a member/guest day.

But that’s it. You’re not in the club and never will be.

Reactions: bigmatt718
This is the correct answer.

Like I said earlier, invite them to dinner or a member/guest day.

But that’s it. You’re not in the club and never will be.
Exactly. RU is undefeated vs old BE teams under Schiano and that's because we are in a superior conference to them. If Cuse/UConn want to be the Iowa State to our Iowa in a crappier conference, fine...but they're NEVER allowed in the B1G on our watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bagarocks

Until RU can compete on an even level with PSU and are a threat to win when the teams meet, no rivalry should be proclaimed .
Right now Rutgers playing Maryland is the closest to a rivalry game , but the desire for it to be one isn't there for both fanbases.
Can't say who the Turtle fans consider their rival, but RU fans act like the Nits are the rivale even though RU hasn't proved to be one, YET.

Syracuse and UConn once were, but times change and my feeling is that the best way to look at being rivals with them again is
nevermore.gif

Reactions: bac2therac
It will be a glorious Fieldhouse with a hundred foot gilded statue of Schiano holding a giant axe. The statue will be so shiny it will be visible from space and require double-thick solar eclipse glasses in order to safely look at it.

I'd contribute ....

We can play both as out of conference teams. We don’t make the decision whether they can join the Big Ten. The decision makers don’t want them since they just reduce the revenue of the current members. No way they bring in additional revenue.

Office Space Idea GIF
You don’t seem to understand the value of rivalries, which is what drives college football.

This would give us a number of games we can easily travel to each year. I would absolutely prefer going to Syracuse and UConn, rather than Purdue, Minnesota, and similar. These games are more geographically relevant, cheaper to travel to, and more fun overall to watch.

Playing these teams benefits us more than it hurts us. Most of our recruiting class is from out of state anyways.

They would not get full shares but would be brought on gradually, just like we were. This ensures that they earn their keep and no ones share goes down. Rutgers could be in a geographically relevant pod with UConn, SU, Maryland, and PSU.

• Haha
Not long ago it was an unimaginable fantasy for RU to be a Big10 program. Things change. Today Cuse and UConn aren’t good candidates for a lifeboat but the future always holds surprises.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
You’re in California so you don’t understand PSUs impact. They have a ton of alumni in the northeast, especially in NYC and Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania. Most of their alumni live closer to Rutgers than Happy Valley.

The Texas Arizona Bar, in Hoboken, used to host Rutgers games, but decided to host Penn State Games because they’re more profitable.

Conveniently located across the street from the PATH, NJ Transit, Ferry and Light Rail; Texas Arizona is the place in Hoboken for great food, sports, and fun. Your Home for Penn State Nittany Lion Football! We show all your favorite teams from the NFL, MLB, NBA, and the NHL, plus many NCAA events on 30 flat-screen TVs.

If we played a neutral site game at Giants Stadium they would easily outdraw us, just as they did historically when we played them there. Their alumni are like rats, they’re everywhere.

I’ve come to realize that football success isn’t as important to Rutgers alumni, as it is to Penn State alumni. For example, Our level of NIL Support is nowhere it needs to be. Without that, it will be very difficult to attain competitiveness with Penn State.
It's just all perspective. Those PSU people in NYC, Philly, Eastern PA are all potential RU alums. Rutgers offers something major for them that PSU doesn't, the ability to actually attend a game.

I've seen it before, and I'll see it again. When RU is winning and relevant, they are the #1 show in town. It takes years to get there, but we'll get there.

Just saw it a couple years ago with Dodgers and Padres in San Diego. Dodger fans everywhere, bigger brand, more wins, casuals love their logo. I can't tell you how many people jumped shipped and joined the Padres bandwagon when things started to shift. This is the way it goes.

Rutgers will beat Penn State in the next game we play, and you'll start to see a change.

Rather see them in the PAC 4. Plenty of winless conference records between the 2.

If “rivalries” drive college athletics, then should we leave the Big Ten for the AAC or ACC?

I mean - why not go join Syracuse over there then. Plus BC.
Or AAC and join local Temple.

@rutgersal Did AD Pernetti make a mistake accepting the Big Ten offer and putting us in a conference without “local rivals”?

As said, giving the fruit and Uconn membership affords them a huge increase in $$$. That gives them ammo to build their programs and compete with us. Compete with us and then compete for our recruits. Al, you said we don't recruit much in NJ anyway. Guess where we recruit?? In NY and CT (somewhat). Guess what schools reside there and will get more of those recruits? Third, from the desk of the B1G commissioner: "Hmm, admit nationally branded Florida State, UNC, etc. To the B1G or take Syracuse/UConn to help Rutgers gain some territorial rivals? All three of these reasons , plus many more, make this another inane suggestion from you.

Fair point. The Rent should be on every college football fan’s bucket list.
While not the big house, the horseshoe, or happy valley, The Rent and the Dome are actually great places to watch football games, and certainly easier to travel to.

As said, giving the fruit and Uconn membership affords them a huge increase in $$$. That gives them ammo to build their programs and compete with us. Compete with us and then compete for our recruits. Al, you said we don't recruit much in NJ anyway. Guess where we recruit?? In NY and CT (somewhat). Guess what schools reside there and will get more of those recruits? Third, from the desk of the B1G commissioner: "Hmm, admit nationally branded Florida State, UNC, etc. To the B1G or take Syracuse/UConn to help Rutgers gain some territorial rivals? All three of these reasons , plus many more, make this another inane suggestion from you.
We competed with those programs in the Big East. We’ll compete with those programs in the Big Ten. It’s not like big ten membership gives them a leg up on us. If we can’t compete with a Big Ten SU or UConn then we’ve got big problems. These programs would be added in conjunction with others when the time is right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT