ADVERTISEMENT

Carter to leave Florida

he should have never left here...wish him the best...
NOW, given how green we are...if we don't get Ellison...well...mind can wander...

You can't make this stuff up. It seems as if Florida was losing some guards. I thought Eli would be getting major minutes. I just don't understand what some of these kids want. Eli was good for us but everything was run for him. I want a team with more than one threat to score. I will pass on him.

He shot well under 40% FG at FLA, actually a little worse than his RU %'s. He's a junkyard dog on D and will drive like a lion to the net, but never improved on shooting accuracy. He pretty much single handedly won the FLA game at the RAC for RU, but he shot us out of many games too. Very interested to see his final college destination.

If he wants to come back to RU he'll be our starting PG next season for sure.

Pass. He was a ball hog team killer while he was here. Coming in for a one year audition for the pros would be even worse.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Not sure if Eli ever fully recovered from his injury. Eli is no PG.

I liked Eli here, wish him well wherever he goes.

Reactions: okieKnight
I don't blame Eli for jacking it up while here. To me it seemed like the rest of the team was waiting for him to do something, perhaps he was the only one capable. That said, don't need him back here. Perhaps Rhody

Eli got unfair criticism while he was here. He was by far the quickest of the big Rice class to blossom. He was the only guy who could create a shot and Rice gave him the greenlight. It was unfortunate that it took Jack so long to catch on and Judge/Biruta were so erratic. It put pressure on Eli every night.

Grass isn't always greener. Eli was probably better off going to a school where he would have got more playing time and less competition for it. Who knew Florida wouldn't even make the tourney this year.

If he wanted to come back to RU, Id gladly take him but I could see URI or ASU as possible destinations

Eli was a very tough player who brought it every night and maybe had a bit overconfidence in his ability

I liked him a lot...and wish him well

He never fully recovered from the broken leg, and was also injury riddles this season with a foot condition and missed some games with severe strep throat. He played a much more mature game this year, but was forced to in light if his lack of athleticism due to the broken leg. I think that Billy did not like the makeup of his team, and this transfer wS more of a mutual decision, as were Michael Frazier's and Chris Walker's NBA declarations.

Or maybe Eli knew that Billy is going to OKC and wanted to leave now. Either way, it's a shame that Eli was never able to regain his form after that injury.

How do we know he wasn't pushed out by Donovan? I doubt he did anything to keep him. He was a disappointment.

You don't know, but I don't want him back. Plus I believe we are out of Schollies.

How do we know he wasn't pushed out by Donovan? I doubt he did anything to keep him. He was a disappointment.

Agree. He may have worn out his welcome at UF. Who can forget Carter dribbling for the majority of each possession for RU while looking for his shot ? I was happy when he left. the kid liked his points a lot.

No way Eli and Sanders could coexist amicably on this team. Please let's hope we don't consider bringing him back.

I don't even want to entertain the possibility until Ellison is off the board.

move%20on.jpg

I liked Eli as a player at RU but I definitely do not want him back here. I think he would want the offense to revolve around him again and that would disrupt our entire team. We will have a very young team this coming season and hopefully everyone buys into the team aspect and we can have great chemistry.

Carter is the reason Rutgers defeated Florida and was the only player opponents feared.I can't understand the reaction by some fans that they didn't like Carter because he wanted the ball .Guess what Coach Rice and the coaching staff knew that Carter was the best player on the team and that's why he was the go to scorer.Maybe programs like Duke should change their recruiting strategy and bring in more complementary players instead of high school all americans with big egos.I think not.

Reactions: goru7
Eli just didnt do well at UF and they also had a down year. He wasnt a good fit. I also agree he isnt fully healed from that leg injury...it was a bad one.

Word is Donovan may be headed to the NBA

Carter got a bad rap from this board.100% effort all the time. I was unfortunately at the DePaul game and that was one tough injury for a tough tough kid.

And hearing rumors that Billy Donovan may be the next Oklahoma City coach.

Our only true outside threat (Mack) is graduating, and people here aren't willing to bring back a pure scorer like Carter? Maybe the kid has matured since he played here and would be more of a "team" guy. Either way, I don't know how we wouldn't want the kid back (if he's even interested). There's nobody else on this team who even has a CHANCE of averaging 12+ ppg like Mack and Jack.

Sounds like both sides are open to the possibility. The GM has known Donovan for 10+ years too so you'd think there's a realistic chance of it happening. Brad Stevens has had some relative success in his first year but his mentor in Pitino bombed with the Celtics.

I wonder where Florida would turn should they lose Donovan. Richard Pitino? Seems pretty green still but so was Donovan when he got hired.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...re-florida-coach-billy-donovan-145628237.html

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12786783/billy-donovan-learning-taking-oklahoma-city-coaching-job

Last edited:
Our only true outside threat (Mack) is graduating, and people here aren't willing to bring back a pure scorer like Carter? Maybe the kid has matured since he played here and would be more of a "team" guy. Either way, I don't know how we wouldn't want the kid back (if he's even interested). There's nobody else on this team who even has a CHANCE of averaging 12+ ppg like Mack and Jack.

A few questions pop up when thinking about Eli's coming.
#1) can he fit in Jordan's offense and play more under control offensively instead of taking his shots anytime he wanted like he did under Rice
#2 ) has his injury affected the way he plays now
#3) would he be willing to take a backseat to Sanders or another player
#4) would adding Carter hinder the development of one of the players that are supposed to be good shooters.
#5) would Eli be admitting he made a mistake leaving RU by coming back to the Scarlet Knights MBB program ,
if so, would he be willing to admit that mistake.

#6+) {add your own questions }

My opinion is more negative answers will made than positive ones.
1) don't think so . He's a shooter that is at his best when he isn't held back and takes his shot whenever he wants to,
2) can't say. So I'll believe he's 100% now, back held back last season because of it
3) Think playing at Florida has made it easier for him to except.
4) the playing time given to Eli would cost someone game experience, so I will say yes a player's development will be held back a bit.
5) hard to say. I'll give Carter the benefit of doubt, because I don't know him , and say he would admit it was a mistake but his time
at Florida helped improve him as a basketball player. Also I feel if he came back it would be admitting he shouldn't have left.

I can't claim Billy Donovan pushed Eli to leave or wanted him to stay.
But if BD is truly thinking about leaving, Carter might have decided it's best to go elsewhere and find the best fit for himself ,
rather than hope a new HC would use him the way he wanted to be used.
Or if Donavon will be staying, Eli might think he'll be on the bench and want to be a starter his last college season , so decided to leave
on his own.
Thjat way he can pick and choose between the schools that want him and know how he'll be used.

(this past season) He took 235 shots and averaged 36%...the lowest on the entire team. He shot 30% from 3 land. I guess you can score when you shoot enough.

RU was one if not the lowest FG % team in the B10. We need players who can shoot solid % and score..not shoot a lot and score some.

as a long term RU MBB fan and season ticket holder this subject nets out to two points:

1) Mike Rosario turned out to be a far better player than Eli Carter. I was not an MR fan at RU but he improved far more at UF as a complete player than EC did.

2) EC is likely to be a real chucker next season for whatever school that signs him. I think that Iona may be a good destination for him. They can easily win the MAAC to get to the tourney and Eli can lock in his points with them as well as being close to home. This kid is a coach killer IMHO.

as a long term RU MBB fan and season ticket holder this subject nets out to two points:

1) Mike Rosario turned out to be a far better player than Eli Carter. I was not an MR fan at RU but he improved far more at UF as a complete player than EC did.

2) EC is likely to be a real chucker next season for whatever school that signs him. I think that Iona may be a good destination for him. They can easily win the MAAC to get to the tourney and Eli can lock in his points with them as well as being close to home. This kid is a coach killer IMHO.
Does Iona have graduate programs? If it does, hard to imagine they have programs that the University of Florida wouldn't have.

Carter got a bad rap from this board.100% effort all the time. I was unfortunately at the DePaul game and that was one tough injury for a tough tough kid.

Big HUGE +1.

Eli didn't take many more shots per game than Mack as a frosh. Eli took 3 more shots per game than Seagears/Judge (and averaged double ppg than what those two averaged) and 4 more per game than Poole, Austin Johnson and Dane. Who the heck did you want to shoot the ball on that team? Was the ONLY player on the team willing to attack the basket (led the team in FT taken by a margin....and shot 85%+ when he got there), and he played with effort defensively.

I'm not sure I get the hate. So, he took larger exception to having basketballs fired at him than the kids that stayed, and he was valued enough to be recruited by Donovan at UF. Those are his sins? I liked him. Don't want him back (because it is time to put anything and everything Rice related behind us), but I liked his game when he was here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT