ADVERTISEMENT

Centennial Game "100 Years of Football" LP - Rutgers / drinking songs

CornerTavern

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 8, 2008
So the Rutgers Glee Club recorded and produced an album in 1969 to commemorate the College Football Centennial game between Rutgers and Princeton.

The album contains half Rutgers songs, and half traditional college football songs from some of our old old rivals... and also several traditional drinking songs!

If we really want to get in touch with our long-lost football heritage, we should really go old school and fire up some of these songs at our tailgates!

Tracklist:

Alma Maters

A1 Old Nassau - Princeton
A2 San Souci - Columbia
A3 High Above Cayugas Waters - Cornell
A4 Navy Blu And Gold - Navy
A5 Army Blue - Army

Drinking Songs

A6 Gaudeamus Igitur - Old German Melody
A7 Landlord, Fill The Flowing Bowl - Traditional Drinking Song
A8 Eastern Drinking Song
A9 Drinking Song From The Student Prince
A10 Down Among The Dead Men - English Student Song
A11 I Know A Tavern

Songs Of Rutgers
B1 A Rutgers Toast
B2 Hail Mother
B3 Loyal Sons
B4 Down Where The Raritan Flows
B5 The Old Queens Bell
B6 The Rutgers History Lesson
B7 We Sing Thy Praise, Old Rutgers
B8 A Hymn To The Queens
B9 On The Banks Of The Old Raritan
B10 Viva Les Rutgers Sons

This post was edited on 3/20 11:25 AM by CornerTavern

Re: 100 Years of Football album 1969 - Rutgers / drinking songs

BUMP ***Links Fixed***

by the way, my father is there in the picture. Class of 70 - they sang at the centennial game too, of course.

I bought that album and had it for many years. It was a great momento of a wonderful college weekend, from the issuing of the US postage stamp in the College Avenue Barn to the Centennial Parade that drew 100,000 people, to the re-enactment of the first game, and then of course on to the Centennial Game itself. It was a different era at Rutgers back then, before co-education at Rutgers College, when football games were social events, orientation week was all about lining up your date for the Princeton game, and the standard attire of male football fans included jackets and ties. That was my senior year at Rutgers and from there I went to Ohio State to do graduate work. For the first home football game there, I walked down in my jacket and tie to meet my friends and was laughed out of the room! Welcome to serious, big-time football.

Thanks for the post.

This post was edited on 3/20 11:40 AM by ecojew

My mother and father were both douglass / rutgers class of 70, so I've heard all about how different it was back then as well.

I honestly with we carried on some of these traditions.

Nowadays, no one (Glee Club excluded) would be caught dead in a suit and tie at our games!

Personally - I think that the glee club should line up on risers and sing at the scarlet walk - as opposed to the band.

If I can hook up my old stereo.... I will try to get this onto mp3 or youtube!

Originally posted by Source:
One album on eaby for the next 4+ plus days. Opening bid would be $8.00. Good Luck!
It's up to $20.50 now. I can't see spending more than that myself.

Originally posted by CornerTavern:
My mother and father were both douglass / rutgers class of 70, so I've heard all about how different it was back then as well.

Nowadays, no one (Glee Club excluded) would be caught dead in a suit and tie at our games!

Personally - I think that the glee club should line up on risers and sing at the scarlet walk - as opposed to the band.
I think there's plenty of room for both traditions.

I'd like to see the Glee Club, maybe two or three times a year - homecoming plus a few big games - distribute the lyrics to one or two Rutgers songs to the crowd and lead everyone in a very informal sing. Nothing fancy, who cares if people are in tune, just get everyone to learn the words and enjoy the idea of singing along to support your team.

They do this like 15 minutes before the bus arrives to pump people up, and then once more when the team is doing the walk.

Originally posted by NoLondonBroil:

I'd like to see the Glee Club, maybe two or three times a year - homecoming plus a few big games - distribute the lyrics to one or two Rutgers songs to the crowd and lead everyone in a very informal sing. Nothing fancy, who cares if people are in tune, just get everyone to learn the words and enjoy the idea of singing along to support your team.

They do this like 15 minutes before the bus arrives to pump people up, and then once more when the team is doing the walk.
And we need to do a song other than the "the bells must ring". We should have a specific, historic song for the scarlet walk. To have a chorus of booming deep voices from guys in suits and scarlet ties: that says tradition. a skeleton crew of the marching band plus the rutgers dance team says highschool to me - IMO.

Although I don't think it's on the album... Soup wrote a football song that the Glee Club performed. We need to get that song out of the archive and have them sing it.

That the armored knight and banners with our university seal, colors, and such! That would be awesome.

O196333.gif

"...It's up to $20.50 now. I can't see spending more than that myself... "

It's up to $26 now. I knew I should have invested in old Rutgers Glee Club Band recordings. The market's gone crazy!

And we need to do a song other than the "the bells must ring". We should have a specific, historic song for the scarlet walk. To have a chorus of booming deep voices from guys in suits and scarlet ties: that says tradition. a skeleton crew of the marching band plus the rutgers dance team says highschool to me - IMO.

Although I don't think it's on the album... Soup wrote a football song that the Glee Club performed. We need to get that song out of the archive and have them sing it.

That the armored knight and banners with our university seal, colors, and such! That would be awesome.

O196333.gif
What song is that?

We can get this done.

I will have to ask my Father.

He still does the alumni glee club every now and then, singing the alma mater down on the field with the whole combined crew. Not in a few years, though.

I will have to ask my Father.

He still does the alumni glee club every now and then, singing the alma mater down on the field with the whole combined crew. Not in a few years, though.
Well, let's make it happen. There's nothing wrong with him teaching you a few of the songs, either. Let's get you learning the words and leading the crowd! Doing is better than talking!

There are plenty of Glee Club alumni on these boards, including those who buildings on campus are named after. Let's pick a target and go for it.

How about the Spring Game? I know there's no Scarlet Walk, but what if a dozen guys just wandered the tailgate lots and taught some revelers the words to a few songs?

I'd like to see the Glee Club, maybe two or three times a year - homecoming plus a few big games - * distribute the lyrics to one or two Rutgers songs to the crowd and lead everyone in a very informal sing. Nothing fancy, who cares if people are in tune, just get everyone to learn the RIGHT words and enjoy the idea of singing along to support your team.

O196333.gif
What song is that?

We can get this done.
When it comes to the Glee Club I think you know what needs to be done.
cool0017.r191677.gif

First things first....

* The CORRECT lyrics.

O196333.gif

When it comes to the Glee Club I think you know what needs to be done.
cool0017.r191677.gif

First things first....

* The CORRECT lyrics.
This.
X 1,000,000

Why does the Athletic Department use those unofficial lyrics?

pretty sure RUScrew's picture is him in a shirt and tie at Rutgers stadium

One of my pet peeves at our home games is this. The second the Star Spangled Banner is sung the student section goes right into a R _U chant instead of singing the Alma Mater. I would love the student section to be loud as hell singing the Alma Mater.

The team signs it to them at the end of the game, they should be singing it at the beginning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT