ADVERTISEMENT

charges dismissed for Ray Rice

demauroj

All American
Dec 23, 2004
As per ESPN...... Ray's case has been dismissed after he completed his pre trial intervention earlier this week.

Great for Ray. He has paid a hefty enough price already.

Time to move on.

Hopefully all this has made him a better person and induced other people do some introspection on how they treat their loved ones. That's all you can hope for in a very regrettable thing like this

Getting rid of the stain of this is certainly a good thing, but I'm afraid it will do little to get him on another team. It seems that our society is really mercurial about who they will "forgive".

I think you are right. If he wants to continue playing, he needs to think Canada or Europe. Older RB are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

I think you are right. If he wants to continue playing, he needs to think Canada or Europe. Older RB are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

But a few training camp injuries can create an NFL opportunity for an older RB

But a few training camp injuries can create an NFL opportunity for an older RB

During Rice's rookie camp with the Raven's he was the only healthy running back. The team had to sign backs just to maintain camp.

RR did so much for the Baltimore-area community. Hopefully life grants him a return favor.

The fact he ended up in pretrial diversion program was a joke in and of itself.

The fact he ended up in pretrial diversion program was a joke in and of itself.

It was a first offense. Most people I see involved in this kind of thing for the first time never even get to a trial. It usually takes multiple incidents involving police.

I am not a lawyer, but if you think a couples fighting isn't caught on video often, but still never goes to the cops, I don't know what to tell you.

I am not sure some folks realize how pervasive domestic violence is (guys hitting girls, girls hitting guys, and everything else). Most of the time it doesn't mean jail time for the person doing the hitting.

I just wish RR said he gave up alcohol PERIOD. He said he gave up hard liquor after the event. If the behavior was less severe, maybe giving up everything but beer and wine might be reasonable.. but this was very bad and, imho, deserved a more radical response. And he's an aging athlete.. it could only help that way too.

I have zero doubt in my mind that alcohol is responsible for the whole thing. If RR had some personality disorder that made him prone to such behaviors we'd have seen it by now. It was some kind of domestic dispute.. AMPED WAY UP, fueled by alcohol.

It was a first offense. Most people I see involved in this kind of thing for the first time never even get to a trial. It usually takes multiple incidents involving police.

If I recall, at the time this went down, there were some legal experts who said that given the crime and the video, most "regular" people would not have been given a pre-trial diversion scenario.

EDIT: I found this article.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11514871/judicial-figures-show-ray-rice-deal-offered-rarely

If I recall, at the time this went down, there were some legal experts who said that given the crime and the video, most "regular" people would not have been given a pre-trial diversion scenario.

Rightttt.. you "recall" that, do you?

I have seen much worse charges given a Probation before Judgement (PBJ) Marylands version of the PTI. I have seen felonies get PBJs and if your a first offender your basically guaranteed it.

Rightttt.. you "recall" that, do you?

I linked an ESPN article that talks about it. Pre-trial diversion programs are extremely rare in NJ for domestic violence cases.

By the way, in no way am I trying to disparage RU here. This happened well after Rice left RU and in no way reflects upon RU. But facts are facts. Rice got a ruling in his DV case that is extremely rare to get and that certainly who he was and the money had could have played a role in him getting a much less punishment than say your or I might have gotten in the same situation.

Last edited:
It hard to get that image of the video out of my head. Never thought Ray could do such a thing especially when you met his mom who did a great job raising him.
With that said I hope he signs with a team tomorrow. Cowboys could use him.

Yep and Plaxico went to the slammer for accidentally shooting himself in the leg. Never hurt a soul. Violent crime against a women gets you a $125.00 fine.

Whatever came of the SEVERAL rape cases at ND?
You won't hear anything like that, unless ESPN wins its lawsuit and forces ND to produce their campus police arrest records.
ND is a do as I say, not as I act culture.

ND fans bash a plea bargain involving an ex RU player that is in the best interest of all, but defend ND for not helping a sexual assault victim that a ND player was accused of and stonewall her parents about what that school is doing after the girl committed suicide.
Gives true meaning to : Under the Tarnished Dome.
But what do you expect from a school that built a statue of a cheater because he won there, but left once the NCAA started looking at the way he ran the ND FB program.

Good for RR. He was a model citizen at Rutgers. Let he who is without sin throw the first stone.

You won't hear anything like that, unless ESPN wins its lawsuit and forces ND to produce their campus police arrest records.
ND is a do as I say, not as I act culture.

ND fans bash a plea bargain involving an ex RU player that is in the best interest of all, but defend ND for not helping a sexual assault victim that a ND player was accused of and stonewall her parents about what that school is doing after the girl committed suicide.
Gives true meaning to : Under the Tarnished Dome.
But what do you expect from a school that built a statue of a cheater because he won there, but left once the NCAA started looking at the way he ran the ND FB program.

A plea bargain that less than 1% of people have gotten in like a 4 year period. He got off because of who he was and the money. Plain and simple. That has nothing to do with RU or is a black mark against RU. What Rice did is his own issue. I would certainly never criticize or hold RU in contempt for something a former player did years after leaving the school.

By the way, ESPN lost the lawsuit. But the information you seek is readily available a Google search. The ND police did take their time on the investigation and were cited by the Feds and required to make procedural changes. The local prosecutor (and if you know anything about the relationship between South Bend Police/Prosecutor and ND, you'd know there are issues there) refused to press charges because there was no real evidence and the feds who came in to investigate found no reason to believe there was a cover-up or that ND in any way acted inappropriately in terms of trying to mislead people, local investigators or the feds.

Personally, I suspect he groped her but that's simply a guess on my part.

A plea bargain that less than 1% of people have gotten in like a 4 year period. He got off because of who he was and the money. Plain and simple. That has nothing to do with RU or is a black mark against RU. What Rice did is his own issue. I would certainly never criticize or hold RU in contempt for something a former player did years after leaving the school.

By the way, ESPN lost the lawsuit. But the information you seek is readily available a Google search. The ND police did take their time on the investigation and were cited by the Feds and required to make procedural changes. The local prosecutor (and if you know anything about the relationship between South Bend Police/Prosecutor and ND, you'd know there are issues there) refused to press charges because there was no real evidence and the feds who came in to investigate found no reason to believe there was a cover-up or that ND in any way acted inappropriately in terms of trying to mislead people, local investigators or the feds.

Personally, I suspect he groped her but that's simply a guess on my part.
Bullship. He was put into the program because she didn't want to bring charges. They had no case without her testimony. It had zero about who he was.

Bullship. He was put into the program because she didn't want to bring charges. They had no case without her testimony. It had zero about who he was.

Even if she doesn't want to press charges, the DA can go forward with the case. And he had a pretty strong case including video. In many domestic violence cases or assault cases, the testimony is key because there isn't a ton of other evidence. In this case, they had video of what happened. Like many athletes before him, he got off lighter than you or I would have.

And let's be honest, Rice's girlfriend/wife isn't the first woman to not want to press charges and yet only less than 1% get pre-trial diversions in domestic violence complaints.

Good for RR. He was a model citizen at Rutgers. Let he who is without sin throw the first stone.

Yep. Anyone who has never slugged a woman, load up your stones for the Jersey justice system. The more you make this about Rutgers the worse it is for Rutgers. As soon as he makes the final roster with an NFL team there will be plenty here who want him back on the big screen before every home game. Love him personally but his history now includes more than his college years. He would be best not celebrated, in the stadium of the flagship State U. for his post Rutgers life. (Suspended from the NFL for beating a woman), and then not prosecuted. Let it rest because there will be many current students, faculty and staff who will protest. Would they be wrong because they too have sinned?

Even if she doesn't want to press charges, the DA can go forward with the case. And he had a pretty strong case including video. In many domestic violence cases or assault cases, the testimony is key because there isn't a ton of other evidence. In this case, they had video of what happened.
You haven't a clue. There was much more to this case than just that awful video. I am not, by no means saying the Rays actions were not sickening but in the courts the DA did the best he could.

Surprised that a ND fan knows about the ruling, but not the appeal :rolleyes:
ESPN is appealing the decision that Judge Steven Hostetler made.
In his ruling the Judge said :>that although he believes there are persuasive reasons why the statute should be amended to read the way ESPN desires," the Legislature has not attempted to impose on private colleges and universities the obligation to comply with state's open records law.<
ESPN to appeal Indiana judge's ruling on Notre Dame police, open records law - Chicago Tribune
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-ruling-notre-dame-police-20150520-story.html

Zoby, I'm sure your sentiment would be the same if he went to PSU. If so, then we will just never agree on this one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT