ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Uh Oh Ohtani

YUP!!! Looks like MLB got a hold of their Golden Boy and told them to STFU!!!!
It may not have been MLB. Rather, Ohtani's lawyers probably noticed that the story violated Federal law and so told Ohtani it had to change.

Wiring the money to the bookie is illegal, but to me it is what Catholics would call a venial sin -- so long as Ohtani wasn't betting with him, let alone betting on baseball.
But it's too early to know what really happened.

It may not have been MLB. Rather, Ohtani's lawyers probably noticed that the story violated Federal law and so told Ohtani it had to change.

Wiring the money to the bookie is illegal, but to me it is what Catholics would call a venial sin -- so long as Ohtani wasn't betting with him, let alone betting on baseball.
But it's too early to know what really happened.
Put this in the file with the unsolved 3 frozen men in Kansas City.

If the Mets had signed Ohtani, The Dead Zone would be going nuts, as well it should. I know if the Yankees had signed him, I would. This has Mets written all over it. We "dodged" another bullet.

Funny that MLB used the tried and true method of the late Friday news dump in regard to Ohtani. Unfortunately for them, in this instance, this is a global story and it’s morning in Japan.

There’s no hiding from this one. On the precipice of the season, after an uneventful and boring offseason, this is the only MLB story that will be in focus. Terrible.

I also seriously doubt an interpreter has access to Ohtani bank accounts.
Even if the gambling really was not Ohtani- he was aware and involved in the payoff.
Next, we will see the interpreter is back in Japan or something rather than facing charges of stealing $4 mil

Last edited:
So a guy making around $100 grand a year can get a bookie to float over $4.5 million in debt? Yeah okay! I know wiring money requires a lot of proof of who you are . No way this guy did this on his own.
This is *pure* speculation on my part, but I wonder if Ohtani (who evidently isn't fluent in English) gave the interpreter (who he regarded as a close friend) a power of attorney for transactions in America, and that the interpreter abused the power of attorney by wiring money for the interpreter's benefit. In any event, let's hope the investigators (to use a 19th century cliche) hew to the line and let the chips fall where they may.

This is *pure* speculation on my part, but I wonder if Ohtani (who evidently isn't fluent in English) gave the interpreter (who he regarded as a close friend) a power of attorney for transactions in America, and that the interpreter abused the power of attorney by wiring money for the interpreter's benefit. In any event, let's hope the investigators (to use a 19th century cliche) hew to the line and let the chips fall where they may.
Well, if he indeed gave him the POA, because of a language barrier, then absolutely I believe a wire transfer could be accomplished.

Reactions: MADHAT1
There's also the possibility that Ohtami is accustomed to simply signing whatever the interpreter puts in front of him.
Ohtani has a team of people around him. His interpreter would never get a POA.
He also would not have been extended $4 mil for gambling…

Ohtani has a team of people around him. His interpreter would never get a POA.
He also would not have been extended $4 mil for gambling…
You're probably right -- but the fact that he has a team of people doesn't necessarily mean he always listens to them or even always tells them what he's done. The guy's a close friend: people do stupid things for friends.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
I can't believe this is even being discussed like it's a mystery what happened. These guys changed their story three times in two days and the story wildly swung from "he had lots of gambling debt and I paid it off for him," to "he had lots of gambling debt and stole millions from me to pay it off," to "he had lots of gambling debt and I paid it off for him, but I had no idea how much it was."

There is no doubt in my mind this dope bet on baseball (using the interpreter as the plausable-deniability middleman), lost a mint, the FBI knew about it, and now he's scrambling to just figure out what he needs to say to not get permanently banned from baseball (saving his career and not and having his money spigot turned off).

The MLB front office, because it is inhabited in some of the worst people on the planet, will do whatever it needs to do to cover it up and keep the golden boy on the field. Ask yourselves ... how many players got suspended when the World Series Champion Astros got caught cheating (beating the Yankees on AL MVP Jose Altuve's home run at home - where he was begging his teammates not to disturb his clothing during the celebration)? Zero. Manfred has no problem engaging in a massive cover up to protect what he deems is a cash cow.

I can't believe this is even being discussed like it's a mystery what happened. These guys changed their story three times in two days and the story wildly swung from "he had lots of gambling debt and I paid it off for him," to "he had lots of gambling debt and stole millions from me to pay it off," to "he had lots of gambling debt and I paid it off for him, but I had no idea how much it was."

There is no doubt in my mind this dope bet on baseball (using the interpreter as the plausable-deniability middleman), lost a mint, the FBI knew about it, and now he's scrambling to just figure out what he needs to say to not get permanently banned from baseball (saving his career and not and having his money spigot turned off).

The MLB front office, because it is inhabited in some of the worst people on the planet, will do whatever it needs to do to cover it up and keep the golden boy on the field. Ask yourselves ... how many players got suspended when the World Series Champion Astros got caught cheating (beating the Yankees on AL MVP Jose Altuve's home run at home - where he was begging his teammates not to disturb his clothing during the celebration)? Zero. Manfred has no problem engaging in a massive cover up to protect what he deems is a cash cow.
This pretty much sums up everything.

and Selig before him...who is now in the HOF but the players who made his career are not allowed to sniff the hall.

I find the stolen money story to be the weakest of the three. First of all, his financial institution would likely verify with him when multiple transfers of that size occur. Second, he's wealthy but not insanely rich. He would certainly notice a million dollar withdrawal.

I'm going to withhold judgment on whether SO personally gambled until the investigation is done. But if he knowingly gave money to an illegal bookie, he should be held accountable just like any regular citizen would. MLB needs to upload their rules too whether he's the golden boy or a guy who's run out of minor league options.

I find the stolen money story to be the weakest of the three. First of all, his financial institution would likely verify with him when multiple transfers of that size occur. Second, he's wealthy but not insanely rich. He would certainly notice a million dollar withdrawal.

I'm going to withhold judgment on whether SO personally gambled until the investigation is done. But if he knowingly gave money to an illegal bookie, he should be held accountable just like any regular citizen would. MLB needs to upload their rules too whether he's the golden boy or a guy who's run out of minor league options.
According on how deep a dive the investigation goes.
The interpreter has changed his story once Ohtami's lawyers became involved.
Before that Ohtami admitted paying off the bookie.
The investigation might just not dig too deep so the "Star" looks innocent and
claim Ohtami never really understood what was going on and his admission was actually a mistake because of language barrier , claiming he misunderstood the question of who paid the bookie and now that he understands what went on denies paying or even knowing the interpreter bet and stole the money to pay from him.
This could be just a whitewash trying save face for MLB and saving it's biggest "Star" from being banned.
As for the FBI looking into this , they will not find much if all the actors cover up what happened and share the info that makes the "Star" look like he was duped because of his lack of English and reliance on someone he considered a trusted friend

Reactions: RUDave_01
It’s unfathomable to think that the financial institution would not have verified with Ohtani personally transactions of this size due to the Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 and standard AML procedures.

Further, the financial institution has to file a Currency Transaction Report to the IRS or risk serious financial penalties and fines with all details of said transactions.

According on how deep a dive the investigation goes.
The interpreter has changed his story once Ohtami's lawyers became involved.
Before that Ohtami admitted paying off the bookie.
The investigation might just not dig too deep so the "Star" looks innocent and
claim Ohtami never really understood what was going on and his admission was actually a mistake because of language barrier , claiming he misunderstood the question of who paid the bookie and now that he understands what went on denies paying or even knowing the interpreter bet and stole the money to pay from him.
This could be just a whitewash trying save face for MLB and saving it's biggest "Star" from being banned.
As for the FBI looking into this , they will not find much if all the actors cover up what happened and share the info that makes the "Star" look like he was duped because of his lack of English and reliance on someone he considered a trusted friend
That story could be a whitewash; but it also could be true. Note that no one has accused Ohtani himself of betting -- at least not yet.

It’s unfathomable to think that the financial institution would not have verified with Ohtani personally transactions of this size due to the Bank Secrecy Act of 1970 and standard AML procedures.

Further, the financial institution has to file a Currency Transaction Report to the IRS or risk serious financial penalties and fines with all details of said transactions.
This is why I think there might have been a power of attorney -- in that case, the financial institution wouldn't necessarily have thought it needed to verify with Ohtani himself.

That story could be a whitewash; but it also could be true. Note that no one has accused Ohtani himself of betting -- at least not yet.
interpreter might have been a straw-man and that's why Ohtani paid off the losses.
He's not the bettor, just the one putting up the money and giving the straw-man a nice percentage if bet is a winner and pays for the bad ones.
No record of Ohtani placing the bet, plausible deniability if the bets become known so MLB doesn't have a reason to discipline Ohtani for gambling.

Believe it or not $4.5 million wire is not really that much but yes depending on how everything is set up determines the amount of scrutiny involved.

interpreter might have been a straw-man and that's why Ohtani paid off the losses.
He's not the bettor, just the one putting up the money and giving the straw-man a nice percentage if bet is a winner and pays for the bad ones.
No record of Ohtani placing the bet, plausible deniability if the bets become known so MLB doesn't have a reason to discipline Ohtani for gambling.
But there is no evidence to date that Ohtani gambles on anything, let alone baseball. We'll see what the investigators (which include law enforcement authorities) come up with.

But there is no evidence to date that Ohtani gambles on anything, let alone baseball. We'll see what the investigators (which include law enforcement authorities) come up with.
Mizuhara told ESPn he gambled on international soccer, the NBA, the NFL and college football, but said he never bet on baseball, which is prohibited among team employees under MLB rules. He added Ohtani paid his gambling debts at his request.

Mizuhara changed his story a day later, following a statement from Ohtani’s lawyers saying the player was a victim of theft. In response, Mizuhara told ESPN that Ohtani had no knowledge of the gambling debts and had not transferred any money to bookmakers.

My question is did the interpreter tell the truth the first time then get enticed to change his story by the lawyers and has incentive to stick with the change
Gambling is OK for MLB players as long as it's through a legal gambling site and baseball isn't bet on
Ohtani might have thought it was OK to bet and using the interpreter was convent because the language problem.
Also didn't know the bookie wasn't a legitimate person too place the bets because the interpreter didn't tell him where the bets were placed and paid the bookie thinking he was legitimate bookmaker like FanDual
Once the lawyers looked at what happened the clean up began to absolve Ohtani of any part of the bets or paying for the losses that the interpreter first claimed Ohtani .
did.

I just wonder how deep the investigations will go and if what the interpreter now claims will hold the most weight over what he original claimed.
Since baseball wasn't bet on according to the reports I've read it's just illegal gambling being looked into and how much, if any part of betting, was Ohtani involved.
Also if theft was involved, wondering why no theft charges reported filed by Ohtani against the interpreter.
Could be the theft is questionable along with other parts of Ohtani claim of not knowing.
I won't presume his guilt, but wondering if he is involved in the bets will it be covered up and the interpreter take the fall but not be charged for theft because Ohtani's legal team made the translator an offer he couldn't refuse and MLB's desire this go away and not harm their biggest star.

I feel if this happened to a journeyman player, suspension until resolved would be MLB's action , but stars are treated differently

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Really? What kind of money are you dabbling in Mr. Zak? Personally, my bookie fronts me 1.5 million, but not a penny more.
In a former job I used to deal with wires a lot. You'd be surprised how much money gets moved daily.

Depends, do we know if Ohtani is registered as a Democrat or Republican? 😉 😇

In a former job I used to deal with wires a lot. You'd be surprised how much money gets moved daily.
I apologize- I was kidding with you. And I don’t doubt that this much money gets wired every day, but for an interpreter to have access to do this or illegally gain access to do this doesn’t seem plausible. Now, if this guy’s position morphed into a personal assistant thing, it’s more believable.

Mizuhara told ESPn he gambled on international soccer, the NBA, the NFL and college football, but said he never bet on baseball, which is prohibited among team employees under MLB rules. He added Ohtani paid his gambling debts at his request.

Mizuhara changed his story a day later, following a statement from Ohtani’s lawyers saying the player was a victim of theft. In response, Mizuhara told ESPN that Ohtani had no knowledge of the gambling debts and had not transferred any money to bookmakers.

My question is did the interpreter tell the truth the first time then get enticed to change his story by the lawyers and has incentive to stick with the change
Gambling is OK for MLB players as long as it's through a legal gambling site and baseball isn't bet on
Ohtani might have thought it was OK to bet and using the interpreter was convent because the language problem.
Also didn't know the bookie wasn't a legitimate person too place the bets because the interpreter didn't tell him where the bets were placed and paid the bookie thinking he was legitimate bookmaker like FanDual
Once the lawyers looked at what happened the clean up began to absolve Ohtani of any part of the bets or paying for the losses that the interpreter first claimed Ohtani .
did.

I just wonder how deep the investigations will go and if what the interpreter now claims will hold the most weight over what he original claimed.
Since baseball wasn't bet on according to the reports I've read it's just illegal gambling being looked into and how much, if any part of betting, was Ohtani involved.
Also if theft was involved, wondering why no theft charges reported filed by Ohtani against the interpreter.
Could be the theft is questionable along with other parts of Ohtani claim of not knowing.
I won't presume his guilt, but wondering if he is involved in the bets will it be covered up and the interpreter take the fall but not be charged for theft because Ohtani's legal team made the translator an offer he couldn't refuse and MLB's desire this go away and not harm their biggest star.

I feel if this happened to a journeyman player, suspension until resolved would be MLB's action , but stars are treated differently
Major league baseball may not want to investigate deeply, but the IRS has already launched a criminal investigation of both the interpreter and the bookie. Both will have every reason to throw Ohtani under the bus if the gambling debts are his.

I don't think a normal player would be suspended until resolved -- there just isn't enough evidence yet of wrongdoing by the player.

I apologize- I was kidding with you. And I don’t doubt that this much money gets wired every day, but for an interpreter to have access to do this or illegally gain access to do this doesn’t seem plausible. Now, if this guy’s position morphed into a personal assistant thing, it’s more believable.
No need to apologize at all! I think there's more to it for sure. Someone mentioned a POA. Could also be from a trust account where's he is trustee. An LLC where he is authorized. Lots of stuff where's it's possible. It did seem like he's more than an interpreter.

Major league baseball may not want to investigate deeply, but the IRS has already launched a criminal investigation of both the interpreter and the bookie. Both will have every reason to throw Ohtani under the bus if the gambling debts are his.

I don't think a normal player would be suspended until resolved -- there just isn't enough evidence yet of wrongdoing by the player.
won't argue what you said, from where I'm seated your POV is a good one.
I'm just speculation what might be going on in the background that might not be
benefical to the true facts being uncovered.
The bookie can't throw Ohtani under the bus because, from my understanding, he never dealt with Ohtani .
It's the interpreter's word that will make or break Ohtani's claim of not knowing.

won't argue what you said, from where I'm seated your POV is a good one.
I'm just speculation what might be going on in the background that might not be
benefical to the true facts being uncovered.
The bookie can't throw Ohtani under the bus because, from my understanding, he never dealt with Ohtani .
It's the interpreter's word that will make or break Ohtani's claim of not knowing.
Maybe the bookie will decide to change his story about whether he dealt with Ohtani. As often in a criminal investigation, the authorities will try to get the underlings to turn against the head.

According to the story below, the interpreter's resume is full of holes. He never attended the college he said he graduated from, and he never had two jobs for major league teams as interpreters that he said he had. Yet he latched on to a job with Ohtani's Japanese team, and from there he stayed with Ohtani.

The story says, "He wasn't just an interpreter, he was Ohtani's personal assistant and one of his best friends. It would be easy to blame Ohtani for getting so close to a questionable character, but the slugger was only 19 when they met, in a country where respecting elders is famously a cultural norm."

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-oht...ei-mizuharas-pre-ohtani-resume-034602251.html

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT