ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Uh Oh Ohtani

Rose doesn’t get a pass. He was given an option and he chose his poison.

Ohtani- anyone that thinks he wasn’t the actual gambling culprit is nuts…his interpreter will be getting paid a nice sum.
Ohtani paid a gambling debt from his own account for his interpreter is crazy. And now, no one is admitting to anything.
And of course MLB isn’t going to do anything.

I don’t think ohtani was the one gambling. I think his interpreter (not subject to MLB rules) was the one illegally gambling. No issues whatsoever. Team was aware. Ohtani was aware. Heck, they set up an interview with ESPN about his gambling.

It was during the interview where the interpreter admitted that “Ohtani is paying my debt”..is when dodgers and ohtani’s lawyers go “oh s**t”.

Think it was a good deed by Ohtani, helping his friend and not realizing the crime he is actually committing and the MLB rules he’s breaking…

So his lawyers get together with the dodgers, MLB, and Ohtani and the interpreters team and come up with this nonsense that Ohtani was actually “robbed”.

What punishment? Does they league even investigate anyone other than Pete Rose?

Nobody really cares.

Different sport but Barkley bet on basketball. That is against the NBA rules. Nobody cares. He got a slap on the wrist.

Jordan probably bet on basketball. He bets millions on a golf put. He used to hang with one of the people associated with Pete Rose. Nobody really cared about Jordan's million dollar gambling habit.
Rumor has it that Jordan "wanted to play baseball" because his gambling was causing the NBA to have some issues. Hence, this is what all sides agreed to to separate him from the game for a bit.

After being on this board for too many years, I can confirm that we need no more facts on this statement. 😁
No one involved has claimed that Ohtani bet on anything. (It would have been OK for Ohtani to bet so long as he neither (a) bet on baseball or (b) bet with an illegal bookmaker.) The bookie says he never met or dealt with Ohtani.

The interpreter says that he himself bet but not on baseball and that he thought the bookie was legal. (The interpreter is a long-time friend of Ohtani.)

The interpreter originally said that Ohtani sent a wire transfer to the bookie to cover the debts. This would have been illegal under federal law. The interpreter has since retracted that story, apparently agreeing with Ohtani's legal team that the interpreter took the money from Ohtani without authorization.

Is any of this true? We'll see. But let's try to keep ourselves calm as the evidence emerges.

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-oht...t-from-dodgers-star-per-report-213534947.html

Reactions: Knight Shift
No one involved has claimed that Ohtani bet on anything. (It would have been OK for Ohtani to bet so long as he neither (a) bet on baseball or (b) bet with an illegal bookmaker.) The bookie says he never met or dealt with Ohtani.

The interpreter says that he himself bet but not on baseball and that he thought the bookie was legal. (The interpreter is a long-time friend of Ohtani.)

The interpreter originally said that Ohtani sent a wire transfer to the bookie to cover the debts. This would have been illegal under federal law. The interpreter has since retracted that story, apparently agreeing with Ohtani's legal team that the interpreter took the money from Ohtani without authorization.

Is any of this true? We'll see. But let's try to keep ourselves calm as the evidence emerges.
With all due respect, I think you’re misreading my post. Just kidding around with Shift about the overall culture of the board, not this specific case. But all your points are good and worthy of more investigation. Hopefully MLB follows up.

With all due respect, I think you’re misreading my post. Just kidding around with Shift about the overall culture of the board, not this specific case. But all your points are good and worthy of more investigation. Hopefully MLB follows up.
I didn't intend to criticize you. I should have made my comment freestanding rather than as a response to you. As always, your comment was sensible (and funny!)

Reactions: RUPete
I didn't intend to criticize you. I should have made my comment freestanding rather than as a response to you. As always, your comment was sensible (and funny!)
No worries at all - didn’t want you to think I was killing your take which is solid. Either way, there’s a whole lot more to come on this whether MLB likes it or not.

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-oht...t-from-dodgers-star-per-report-213534947.html
I don't gamble but is there a legal gambling outlet that would allow for someone to fall 4.6 mil behind? And I am asking in all seriousness.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
S.O. - if he was 90% of MLB players, would be in some serious shit right now.

If, what he did was innocent and just helping his buddy out of a jam and nothing more than that- just own the f up to it.

There is way too much story "playing" going on for it to just be that innocent.

The fun question now- it has gotten so much attention, does MLB stay it's hand for their star or do they now feel the pressure to turn up the heat? This can easily become one of the biggest sports stories in a very long time

S.O. - if he was 90% of MLB players, would be in some serious shit right now.

If, what he did was innocent and just helping his buddy out of a jam and nothing more than that- just own the f up to it.

There is way too much story "playing" going on for it to just be that innocent.

The fun question now- it has gotten so much attention, does MLB stay it's hand for their star or do they now feel the pressure to turn up the heat? This can easily become one of the biggest sports stories in a very long time
Agree. Was it Calvin Ridley who was slapped hard by the NFL? MLB has to launch some kind of investigation.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I think we may be speculating about that. Do we need facts?
facts are only speculations proved true 😁
Speculate away and if proven true claim bragging rights.:WooHoo:
Proven wrong? ignore it and move on to the next issue to post your best guess 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Don't follow baseball any more and don't care much about this case. Just came here to say that Phil Mickelson says, "hold my beer."

Oddly enough, I love gambling, especially poker, but as a society, I think having so much legalized gambling is not a good thing and I truly hate lotteries, which are just an indirect tax on the poor.

The story linked below is from just after midnight today. It says that Ohtani's representatives have contacted law enforcement and requested an investigation of the interpreter's alleged theft. They are scrambling to explain why they originally said that Ohtani had agreed to pay off the interpreter's debts --an agreement that would violate Federal law. (Their story seems to be that no one talked directly to Ohtani; instead they relied on the interpreter's version of what Ohtani had said -- a story that the interpreter has since admitted was a lie.) In addition, the IRS has confirmed that the interpreter and the bookie are under criminal investigation by the IRS.

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-oht...y-fired-interpreter-per-report-225842855.html

Last edited:
The story linked below is from just after midnight today. It says that Ohtani's representatives have contacted law enforcement and requested an investigation of the interpreter's alleged theft. They are scrambling to explain why they originally said that Ohtani had agreed to pay off the interpreter's debts --an agreement that would violate Federal law. (Their story seems to be that no one talked directly to Ohtani; instead they relied on the interpreter's version of what Ohtani had said -- a story that the interpreter has since admitted was a lie.) In addition, the IRS has confirmed that the interpreter and the bookie are under criminal investigation by the IRS.

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-oht...y-fired-interpreter-per-report-225842855.html
This part of article:
>"The Ohtani camp has presented two stories to explain why Ohtani's name was found on a wire transfer to an associate of the bookmaker. The first was given Tuesday, when both an Ohtani spokesperson and Mizuhara said Ohtani had agreed to pay off $4.5 million in gambling debts for Mizuhara, who is a close friend and has worked with him his entire MLB career. Using a wire to pay illegal gambling debts is a federal crime."<
makes me think that after the lawyers got involved a plausible deniability scenario was thought up and implemented.
Then after getting the interpreter's cooperation law enforcement was asked to investigate

My opinion Ohtani knew bets were being placed all along , but might not have known how much was being lost.
Once the betting became public knowledge, Ohtani tried to act like he didn't know and out of the goodness of his heart agreed to pay what his friend owed.
When the thought of him being involved in placing the bets , then the PR spin of he didn't know and the interpreter changing his story from Ohtani paying into not knowing came about because Ohtani's lawyers told him that he must not admit he knew or face his contract being voided because of gambling involvement

If you are an illegal bookie, and you know that he's close with Ohtani... You keep giving the guy credit in the hopes of getting your hooks into Ohtani.
That doesn't jive, it's his interpreter, not like it's his family. Quite an expensive assumption for a bookie to make. Plus it's not like it's $4.5K or $45K debt but $4.5M.

If you are an illegal bookie, and you know that he's close with Ohtani... You keep giving the guy credit in the hopes of getting your hooks into Ohtani.
Bingo. Something would’ve been broken or disappeared before it got to $4M if it was someone other than Ohtani’s Interprer.

Reactions: rurichdog
With the original stories that came from both sides and then they all of a sudden changed- me thinks- they may already have their hooks into Ohtani...
Wasn’t there an original story that he paid off the $4 Million?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT