ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Holtmann fired at Ohio State

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
GGUDI1JWcAAaoBC

Was wondering about him last night watching them at Wisconsin. The team lacked energy, overall the program feels like it's been going through the motions last couple years

Kind of shocked it's happened before end of season though.

I can't imagine any coach with a current strong position/season underway would look to jump ship midseason. Maybe some of the boosters told the AD they'd seen enough and make the move NOW anyway.

Holtmann is largely a good coach but they hit a very spell of bad luck and he wasn't able to keep his guys locked in as the losses piled up. My two cents.

So many here looked to him as to what they wished we had a few years ago. SMH

His fall was precipitous

Yet, Slappy survives

He’s not the same player since he lost weight but I’d still take him.
I know hes not been good this year but I have my doubts that someone who has played an important role on some really good teams is not good anymore.

no way, they will go after a young hungry guy if they cannot draw in a big fish. This will not be a retread hire

The Florida Atlantic coach would be perfect
If I was Ohio State AD , I’d pursue Dustin May. He’s an Indiana alum.

I’m sure there will be dozens of names but some off the top of my head are Dustin May / Sean Miller / Anthony Grant / MCDermott / Mick Cronin.

OSU has the money to sway current HCs from their current positions b

Look for them to make a run at Doug McDermott at Creighton. They did when they picked Holtman originally. Took him over McDermott

Reactions: fatsam98
He got a mulligan last year but 2 years in a row no excuse
He got some bad luck with a few one and dones came thru and some were not projected there and he couldn’t backfill and get their replacements up to snuff . Getting Jamison Battle was a big get but has not translated . They have had great guard talent but not enough up front since their center , name escapes me , went pro 2 years ago.

Wonder if this sparks the team at all down the stretch? Or even for a game or two?

Well next game is Purdue so not exactly setting up the new coach for success

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Head coaches at top tier schools have a short leash for getting fired after disappointing seasons.The Creighton head coach should be a top candidate if he was interested in the Ohio State position because they have a outstanding half court offense.

no way, they will go after a young hungry guy if they cannot draw in a big fish. This will not be a retread hire

The Florida Atlantic coach would be perfect
Florida Atlantic coach is an excellent choice, before Indiana grabs him.

Definitely Okpara over Key in a hypothetical. The only undersized, “below-the-rim” type big I can remember having any success under Pike is Shaq Carter

B1G used to have a core of coaches that stayed at their school forever. I don't think we'll see that ever again. I don't think Holtzy is a bad coach. I doubt he's done anything inappropriate. So, to me, the timing means they already have their next coach on the hook.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT