ADVERTISEMENT

Cioffi to Safety

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
i havent read anything specifically on the major driver of this, but it can mean in part that the young CB are coming along nicely. Safety is a bit of a logjam. I do remeber a couple games last year where they ran packages with more than two safeties out there? Given his ability to cover, is this the angle. Not in US so not so well connected.

Have like the ability to write in Scarlet now!

I spoke with a member of Cioffi's immediate family about this a couple weeks ago, and was waiting for it to break elsewhere to discuss it. For what its worth they said it was their belief that safety was a better fit for him. The family member pointed out (which I already knew) that Cioffi is the 2nd fastest person on the team. Given his size and speed, they thought he could contribute at safety. I replied that this is a big year for him, and asked if the move was something he was happy about. They said that he was happy with the position change.

Think Hampton will be at safety

Dailey will be another corner

Isaiah Wharton could be either. Probably corner

good move.

I think DB's will be a strength this year.

CB - Barnwell, Boggs, Austin, Dailey, Wharton
FS - Stephenson, Hampton, Cioffi, Hunt
SS - Hester, Jacobs

I said this on the Round Table, love this move and love the idea of moving CBs to Safety whenever we can. When teams spread out on us when we are in our base package its really nice to move up a safety with legit cover skills.

Reactions: eddynyse
I said this on the Round Table, love this move and love the idea of moving CBs to Safety whenever we can. When teams spread out on us when we are in our base package its really nice to move up a safety with legit cover skills.
Cioffi had trouble defending the run at CB, and I worry that it only gets worse at safety. I'm sure they want to see whether he can hawk the ball, but he's going to have to tackle. I doubt he starts.

Perfect position for Anthony IMO. See him having a great season at Safety this year.
Also shows we now have good depth at the CB position. This Secondary is going to surprise a lot of films this Fall.

Cioffi had trouble defending the run at CB, and I worry that it only gets worse at safety. I'm sure they want to see whether he can hawk the ball, but he's going to have to tackle. I doubt he starts.
Not sure where you get this. Because a power RB ran him over? He was a ball hawk last year and made a bunch of plays against the RB. By the way he's at 203 pounds right now, much bigger than he was last year.

Not sure where you get this. Because a power RB ran him over? He was a ball hawk last year and made a bunch of plays against the RB. By the way he's at 203 pounds right now, much bigger than he was last year.
He's judging his play off of a single highlight.

Austin needs to be ready to contribute otherwise I am concerned about our depth at CB.

Cioffi played nearly the entire 2014 season with a torn hip labrum & had surgery two days after the Bowl game, he is one tough kid who will succeed at safety.

because he got trucked by Storm Johnson as a 170lb freshman?

Actually, it was william Stanback. No one would have made that tackle as a freshman. That guy is a truck.
Cioffi has great instincts. Love this move. And yes, our cbs are coming along.

Actually, it was william Stanback. No one would have made that tackle as a freshman. That guy is a truck.
Cioffi has great instincts. Love this move. And yes, our cbs are coming along.

And on top of that It was an illegal hit by Stanback anyway. He directly attacked with the crown of his helmet in the open field, that tackle was nearly impossible. Kinda sad that that one play defines Cioffi's entire career to some people.

Cioffi played nearly the entire 2014 season with a torn hip labrum & had surgery two days after the Bowl game, he is one tough kid who will succeed at safety.

Wow, didn't know this. Glad to see during the Spring Game that he seems to be up to speed.

i havent read anything specifically on the major driver of this, but it can mean in part that the young CB are coming along nicely. Safety is a bit of a logjam. I do remeber a couple games last year where they ran packages with more than two safeties out there? Given his ability to cover, is this the angle. Not in US so not so well connected.

Have like the ability to write in Scarlet now!

This move helps solidify defensive backfield as it seems like the new corners have developed nicely. Plus, this gives RU another safety with cover skills and experience. Should help against spread type formations.

And on top of that It was an illegal hit by Stanback anyway. He directly attacked with the crown of his helmet in the open field, that tackle was nearly impossible. Kinda sad that that one play defines Cioffi's entire career to some people.

Well that, plus all the time's he's beaten or nowhere near the receiver. You can ignore that, but there's a reason he's no longer a CB.

The kid blocked a kick and sacked a QB from behind, both times completely unblocked, and from this has grown a fascination with someone who hasn't secured a starting job in 2 years and has now been moved off that position.

I hope he's health and adepts well to his new position. But I'll never quite understand the fascination with him that some have.

I hope he's health and adepts well to his new position. But I'll never quite understand the fascination with him that some have.

Cioffi had 29 total tackles last year, 2 INTs, and 2 passes defended. As a freshman, he had 31 total tackles, 0 INTs, and 4 passes defended. Those aren't bad numbers, and are pretty consistent with Nadir Barnwell over that time (who had 29 total tackles, 0 INTs, and 4 passes defended last year, and 37 total tackles, 0 INTs, and 3 passes defended as a freshman).

Hope he does well at safety.

Reactions: Knight Ed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT