ADVERTISEMENT

Clifford Omoruyi

Only Rutgers can have very little luck in getting players that were SUPPOSED to be great players coming out of high school to become anywhere near great players while at RU.

It is amazing that the 5 star transfer(Wally Judge) played about as well probably as most 2 star players of his year and the McDonald's All American that we got(Rosario), is probably one of the bottom college players that has played in that McDonald's game.

Best of Luck.
Groz

Last edited:
If we get him, we'd have two guys with the same last name and no blood relation.

We would have had this in 2017-18 if Nigel Johnson hadn't transferred before Myles Johnson arrived.

We had two Mitchells in 2010-11 (Jonathan/Frank), but that's the only time in the last 30 years that I can find.

In other useless factoids, if Charles hadn’t transferred, we would have had a Jones on the banks through the entire decade of 1990’s

Mike 90-93
Charles 93-95 (he went to LIU BROOKLYN 96-97 where he led nation in scoring)
Dahntay 98-00 (he transferred to Duke & won nat’l title)

Reactions: RUChoppin
Just because Kentucky showed up doesn't mean Rutgers can't win this recruits mind.

It's a new ball game now.

Kansas and Kentucky are in a different solar system from Rutgers. Hopefully we are not expending major recruiting energy on these players once Kentucky and Kansas offered. Chances of hoops players choosing Rutgers over those two programs is pretty slim.

You bring up a valid point. Also, you're probably an adult.

The answer to your question is...

Because HS kids never believe that they will be recruited over. That thought never enters their minds. In their minds they are underrated.
Totally agree

Re rider and dahntey, I think Bannon said he had a good relationship with Jones while at rider, but once he got a Big East job at ru, he had a realistic to get him.

I’ve seen him play. His body belongs on a poster. Not sure yet about his game. Iirc scored 1 point in game vs Ranney. Very few superstars gets held to 1 point in any game. Pretty sure he played almost the whole game / no foul trouble. Would take , of course, but he needs work. Sounds like calipari wants to now mix 1 and dones with multi year players. Regardless, if Kentucky and other teams referenced are in , he ain’t coming to Rutgers. Next man up.

Let's see how much Whitney plays this coming season at Kentucky. Nik Richards from the Patrick School started as a frosh and hardly played as a soph. Time will tell what Whitney does at UK. He didn't do much at all in the McDonald's game. I am sure Whitney told Calipari about Omoruyi who is a dunking machine. He can jump through the roof but he can get a lot better.

Whitney can score at all 3 levels (driving, mid range, from 3). Omoyuri is athletically a huge defensive presence the day he hits someone's campus. How far he goes offensively in the next year will determine if he's a 1 or 2 and done or a normal college big that takes more time to develop.

This kid is an absolute must get for 2020. A local kid at a school with which Pike has a good relationship, at a position of great need, and a high major prospect to boot.
Don’t bank on it Rutgers is not yet there on landing these national recruits.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
I’ve seen him play. His body belongs on a poster. Not sure yet about his game. Iirc scored 1 point in game vs Ranney. Very few superstars gets held to 1 point in any game. Pretty sure he played almost the whole game / no foul trouble. Would take , of course, but he needs work. Sounds like calipari wants to now mix 1 and dones with multi year players. Regardless, if Kentucky and other teams referenced are in , he ain’t coming to Rutgers. Next man up.
Kyle Lowry was held to zero pts in game 1 of playoffs yesterday :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also, agree with the small exception that if a guy thinks he is so good that his talent will outweigh the team he's on maybe they'll stay home and not need to go to the elites. (If they still think they have same shot at moving up to nba). I'm not talking specifics here just general comment.

Reactions: RU at the shore
My question would be if RU doesn't land Cliff Omoyuri, everything is still fine??

Most anyone posting on recruits have not seen a player live.....we also have to avoid writing off players who are underclassmen and aren't averaging a double double every other game.

As much as I enjoy recruiting, rankings of classes don't win games, players buying in and dedicating themselves to the cause does it. I will see if I can see Omoyuri over this holiday season live, keep in mind he's just a HS Junior, so my guess is 4 years from now is when I would expect Omoyuri to be at his best, not his freshman or sophomore years in college.
Pike will make him a defensive difference maker as a sophomore.

Re rider and dahntey, I think Bannon said he had a good relationship with Jones while at rider, but once he got a Big East job at ru, he had a realistic to get him.

True.

On a side note, I ran into Dahntay at the airport in Memphis when he was playing for the Grizzlies and he told me at that time that he still talks with Kevin Bannon pretty regularly. That was quite a while ago but was also obviously several years after he left Rutgers for Duke.

Only Rutgers can have very little luck in getting players that were SUPPOSED to be great players coming out of high school to become anywhere near great players while at RU.

It is amazing that the 5 star transfer(Wally Judge) played about as well probably most 2 star players of his year and the McDonald's All American that we got(Rosario), is probably one of the bottom college players that has played in that McDonald's game.

Best of Luck.
Groz

This is actually logical. TODAY If we fish from the 4 or 5 star pond and land one you have to really wonder if that player is truly a 4 or 5 star.

We can win getting the good looking fish from the 2 and 3 star pond.

Once we win and look more attractive we can start getting some of the nicer fish in the 4 star pond.

Reactions: RUChoppin
This is actually logical. TODAY If we fish from the 4 or 5 star pond and land one you have to really wonder if that player is truly a 4 or 5 star.

Once we win and look more attractive we can start getting some of the nicer fish in the 4 star pond.

Except by the time they arrived on campus Ron and Montez were 4 stars. I think there are some good 4 stars that are gettable.

You point is well taken ...except the perception is changing. We are not far from that point...

We aren’t there..but we are closing the gap.
Finding 2 mkre kids 4 star rules who want to be part of making history is now a lot more tangible with the practice facility opening shortly and the improvement we show on the court

We can result to these kids that they could be the one that help make history and put Rutgers basketball on the map again...and not have to take the leap of faith that geo, Eugene and even Montez and Ron took

Let's see how much Whitney plays this coming season at Kentucky. Nik Richards from the Patrick School started as a frosh and hardly played as a soph. Time will tell what Whitney does at UK. He didn't do much at all in the McDonald's game. I am sure Whitney told Calipari about Omoruyi who is a dunking machine. He can jump through the roof but he can get a lot better.
Whitney is going to kill it at UK. Many around the program expect him to be the team's best player next season.

those are examples of how Pike gets it done....Plucks the best from the 3 star pool that end up being 4 star fish....not the opposite.

He fished from the 3 star pond.
I think Mathis was a very high level recruit and we won a national/regional recruiting battle to get him. Not like Harper who was under the radar when he committed and later blossomed.

Mathis could be an example of a typical Rutgers 4 star recruit. Still plenty of time for him to improve as an all around basketball player.

Reactions: soundcrib
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT