ADVERTISEMENT

Does Greg finally have a Big 10 staff

I don’t believe Greg is the answer. He has never been able to win the big game. Even in 2006 we didn’t win a league title. His conservative style leaves little room for error and because of this we don’t get high quality offensive players. There is little excitement around the program because he is so controlling and secretive. Hopefully he gets out of the way and lets his now B1G level assistants do their job!

Can this guy atleast

🤔 maybe if you are desperate for talent, you don't let Fran Brown out the door. A smart coach gives Fran the DC job, a loser coach - let's him walk, and suffers from dud recruiting classes
Is this for real?

The reigning national champion with a massive pocketbook came after Brown, there was absolutely nothing Greg could have done to keep him. He was not ready to be DC. Greg got an excellent DC. Fran had a very easy decision in front of him, it was a no brainer. You don’t turn down the national champion. It’s not like Greg can control who offers his assistants.

Christ, have you ever worked in management in any capacity?

So is a bowl at 5-7. 😉

And 2-7 is better? 😜
I did not say better. But let's compare
KU 2022:
Beat Iowas State (4-8/1-8)
Beat West Virginia (5-7/3-6), peeps can save it, this is not the WVU of old))
Beat Oklahoma State (7-6/4-5)
They did not beat a Big 12 team with a winning record--we have heard this complaint about Greg ad nauseum on these board. Will give them credit for beating Duke. Good for them.

RU 2021:
Beat Illinois (5-7/4-5)
Beat Indiana (2-10/0-9)- yep they sucked pretty bad

On paper, KU's season is arguably better, but show when they play a juggernaut of three 11-2 teams (UM, tOSU, PSU) plus a 9-4 Wisconsin in one year.

Both mediocre years for both teams. I'm more interested in sustained, longer term success, similar to what Jonathan Smith at Oregon State seems to be building. I would take a record like this over a flash in the pan one year one and done like Mel Tucker (remains to be seen):

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Oregon State Beavers (Pac-12 Conference) (2018–present)
2018Oregon State2–101–86th (North)
2019Oregon State5–74–5T–2nd (North)
2020Oregon State2–52–54th (North)
2021Oregon State7–65–43rd (North)L LA
2022Oregon State10–36–3T–5thW Las Vegas1717

Reactions: buffalochicken21
I’m sorry, but Ohio State loses lots of players to the draft every year.

Many years they are able to reload. 2018 was a year where they played kids before they were ready, and the results were predictable. They were also hurt by Nick Bosas injury. In spite of this, they beat Michigan and won the Rose Bowl.

I did not say better. But let's compare
KU 2022:
Beat Iowas State (4-8/1-8)
Beat West Virginia (5-7/3-6), peeps can save it, this is not the WVU of old))
Beat Oklahoma State (7-6/4-5)
They did not beat a Big 12 team with a winning record--we have heard this complaint about Greg ad nauseum on these board. Will give them credit for beating Duke. Good for them.

RU 2021:
Beat Illinois (5-7/4-5)
Beat Indiana (2-10/0-9)- yep they sucked pretty bad

On paper, KU's season is arguably better, but show when they play a juggernaut of three 11-2 teams (UM, tOSU, PSU) plus a 9-4 Wisconsin in one year.

Both mediocre years for both teams. I'm more interested in sustained, longer term success, similar to what Jonathan Smith at Oregon State seems to be building. I would take a record like this over a flash in the pan one year one and done like Mel Tucker (remains to be seen):

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Oregon State Beavers (Pac-12 Conference) (2018–present)
2018Oregon State2–101–86th (North)
2019Oregon State5–74–5T–2nd (North)
2020Oregon State2–52–54th (North)
2021Oregon State7–65–43rd (North)L LA
2022Oregon State10–36–3T–5thW Las Vegas1717
What conference and overall W-L record are you expecting for RU this season?

This is season 4 for Greg. Does he turn the corner this season?

Not going to hold you to your prediction.

What conference and overall W-L record are you expecting for RU this season?

This is season 4 for Greg. Does he turn the corner this season?

Not going to hold you to your prediction.
Three huge question marks are the OL, WRs and QB play, but other than that, we should be fine on offense😜!!

So, two predictions- first is optimistic, second is realistic-pessimistic.

First: 7-5/4-5- Wins against: NW, VT, Temple, Wagner, and 3 of Iowa, Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland. Losses to Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin.

Second:4-8/2-7- Wins against Wagner and 3 of NW, Indiana, Michigan State, Temple and VT. Losses to Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin.

Three or more blowout losses, including a blowout loss to a non-Michigan/Penn State/Ohio State would be be very bad. RU performance against Penn State has been horrific. In the last 4 games against Penn State, RU has scored 23 points.
The baseball team has scored 31 runs in the last 4 games against Penn State--sure it's apples and oranges, but TDs are worth 6 pts and FGs 3 pts. 🤷‍♂️
- 8-2 W
- 10-0 W
- 8-1 W
- 5-4 W
The Temple game could be a bell weather for the team. That would be a painful loss if it happens.

Last edited:
Three huge question marks are the OL, WRs and QB play, but other than that, we should be fine on offense😜!!

First: 7-5/4-5- Wins against: NW, VT, Temple, Wagner, and 3 of Iowa, Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland. Losses to Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin.

Second:4-8/2-7- Wins against Wagner and 3 of NW, Indiana, Michigan State, Temple and VT. Losses to Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, Wisconsin.

Three or more blowout losses, including a blowout loss to a non-Michigan/Penn State/Ohio State would be be very bad. RU performance against Penn State has been horrific. In the last 4 games against Penn State, RU has scored 23 points.
The baseball team has scored 31 runs in the last 4 games against Penn State--sure it's apples and oranges, but TDs are worth 6 pts and FGs 3 pts. 🤷‍♂️
- 8-2 W
- 10-0 W
- 8-1 W
- 5-4 W
The Temple game could be a bell weather for the team. That would be a painful loss if it happens.
I see the Northwestern game as the bell weather. A loss at home to them will likely sabotage our conference record. A win gives us hope for 5-6 wins for the season.

I’m looking at another 4-8 season due to our lack of offense. I can’t hold KC responsible for our Offense this season, as he inherited what we have due to his late hiring. Hoping for tangible improvement in 2024 and 2025.

I see the Northwestern game as the bell weather. A loss at home to them will likely sabotage our conference record. A win gives us hope for 5-6 wins for the season.

I’m looking at another 4-8 season due to our lack of offense. I can’t hold KC responsible for our Offense this season, as he inherited what we have due to his late hiring. Hoping for tangible improvement in 2024 and 2025.
The jumping off point is when, then? If this season is another 3-9/1-8, the HC's seat gets warm if not hot. And if no progress in 2024 (year 5) with at least 6 wins and a bowl game, perhaps it is time to move on.

The jumping off point is when, then? If this season is another 3-9/1-8, the HC's seat gets warm if not hot. And if no progress in 2024 (year 5) with at least 6 wins and a bowl game, perhaps it is time to move on.
I think if Greg can get us to 6 wins and a minor bowl in the next 2-3 seasons then he can stay on. But 2023 and 2024 can’t both be 4-8 seasons or he risks getting sacked after 2024.

He put us in a deep hole with the Offense under Gleeson and the previous staff. Kirk is going to need a few seasons to make significant improvements imo.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
Rutgers has the lowest rated recruiting class in the Big Ten. Not a single 4-rated player. The better teams have mostly 4s and one or more 5s. How does Schiano or any coaching staff succeed without quality recruits?

Reactions: RUaMoose
I don’t believe Greg is the answer. He has never been able to win the big game. Even in 2006 we didn’t win a league title. His conservative style leaves little room for error and because of this we don’t get high quality offensive players. There is little excitement around the program because he is so controlling and secretive. Hopefully he gets out of the way and lets his now B1G level assistants do their job!
Ron knows !!!!
Louisville was a big game to win though . Sadly though I think the rest of your post seems right . He’s gonna get a chance to prove everyone wrong

Reactions: rutgersron
It's year 4 and there are serious question marks on the talent level on the OL, TE, WR and QB. Who is responsible for bringing in talented players via HS recruiting or through the portal? Funny how THAT works.
Agree on this. Recruiting does seem to be trending positive as to the direction it is going. It's just that it will take a lot longer to build in in the Big Ten than in the Big East. Other positive - stop waiting for the NJ kids. There is good talent beyond the NJ borders.

Is RU football better off today than it was with Chis Ash, well yea it clearly is, we have a quality defense, hopefully we will have at least a middle of the road offense. The program has a philosophy and a culture, we finally seem to have a big ten capable staff.
Did it take too long to put one together? Yep, that was a miss by GS, he tried to pull a rabbit out of the hat and get a jump on recruiting with the two guys that were NJ north jersey “names” they didn’t deliver as recruiters or coaches. This is a pivotal year we need to pick off a few of the big ten middle level teams. Are we going to beat OSU, Michigan or PSU not even close, will they slow down recruiting 4’s and 5’s while we try to catch up? Hopefully we will be competitive in the BIG middle, and that’s about where we should be if you look at this realistically, if we’re not then GS has a problem

Reactions: Knight Shift
Not that we are close to beating them but does anyone remember that we were winning at halftime vs. Michigan last year? That was without Sam Brown.
Now it probably doesn't mean anything but it did at the time.

I think if Greg can get us to 6 wins and a minor bowl in the next 2-3 seasons then he can stay on. But 2023 and 2024 can’t both be 4-8 seasons or he risks getting sacked after 2024.

He put us in a deep hole with the Offense under Gleeson and the previous staff. Kirk is going to need a few seasons to make significant improvements imo.
He won’t be get another 3 seasons to get to 6 wins. That’s ridiculous

Reactions: Knight Shift
There is good talent beyond the NJ borders.

We need to stop worrying about about the fence around the Garden State. If were going to be in the B1G 10 we have to continue to grow our national recruiting base.
There have been some inroads made in the Midwest but we need to get heavy back into FL and the South for those skill positions.

Last edited:
Not one last year either. I don't see a discernible difference between GS and Ash vis-a-vis recruiting.
We currently do not have the lowest ranked recruiting class in the big 10 for 2024 and didn’t have the lowest ranked one last year either (on rivals at least, I’ll concede that on other sites we do). That’s not to say recruiting is going great, but it’s objectively not, nor has been, the worst in the conference.

Last edited:
I think that remains to be seen. This year will tell us a lot.
man I love your posts but you need to explain this. Greg has done better with Ash recruits than Ash did which shows he's better at coaching (albeit that's not saying much I know) but recruiting is about the same

man I love your posts but you need to explain this. Greg has done better with Ash recruits than Ash did which shows he's better at coaching (albeit that's not saying much I know) but recruiting is about the same
I just think that you have to see what kind of production that he gets out of the people who now have had a couple of years in the program. They maybe good and they may not be. I like to wait to see what happens before saying if he can recruit or not.
Also most, not all, of Ash recruits weren't getting many P5 offers. That's not the same for most, not all, of Greg's.
Remember the two jewels of last years recruiting class were Brown and Walker. Brown got hurt just when he started showing what he can do and Walker missed the entire season.

I just think that you have to see what kind of production that he gets out of the people who now have had a couple of years in the program. They maybe good and they may not be. I like to wait to see what happens before saying if he can recruit or not.
Also most, not all, of Ash recruits weren't getting many P5 offers. That's not the same for most, not all, of Greg's.
Remember the two jewels of last years recruiting class were Brown and Walker. Brown got hurt just when he started showing what he can do and Walker missed the entire season.
fair enough

Reactions: colbert17

You are an awfully patient fan with 2-3 seasons. Maybe posted above, but interesting poll (who knows how many are fans). 6-6 should get him in contention for coach of year.

Is RU football better off today than it was with Chis Ash, well yea it clearly is, we have a quality defense, hopefully we will have at least a middle of the road offense. The program has a philosophy and a culture, we finally seem to have a big ten capable staff.
Did it take too long to put one together? Yep, that was a miss by GS, he tried to pull a rabbit out of the hat and get a jump on recruiting with the two guys that were NJ north jersey “names” they didn’t deliver as recruiters or coaches. This is a pivotal year we need to pick off a few of the big ten middle level teams. Are we going to beat OSU, Michigan or PSU not even close, will they slow down recruiting 4’s and 5’s while we try to catch up? Hopefully we will be competitive in the BIG middle, and that’s about where we should be if you look at this realistically, if we’re not then GS has a problem
Agreed look to compete in the middle of the big ten makes sense. However, our defense is below avg to maybe avg. The offense has been Bottom 5 in the country not just the big ten and absolutely embarrassing. So, not sure what you’re seeing but that has to change if we hope to compete at all.

Another crap year is looming and this guy has a longer leash than he deserves due to fan apathy/apology and the most one-sided contract in the history of contracts.

Can this guy atleast

🤔 maybe if you are desperate for talent, you don't let Fran Brown out the door. A smart coach gives Fran the DC job, a loser coach - let's him walk, and suffers from dud recruiting classes
Fran isn't the DC at Georgia.

- 8-2 W
- 10-0 W
- 8-1 W
- 5-4 W
RU shouldn't be losing to Temple under any circumstances.

Totally agree.
The worried fan in me is what if EJ Warner has developed further, and our defense cannot pressure him?
And RU needs to put up more that 16 points, or this will be a bad sign for the year, IMO.
The fact that some of our fans are already worried about Temple is a very bad sign for our team imo.

As far as recruit rankings, I never paid too much attention to them and always said I viewed it like a pyramid with tiers of similar talent getting wider as you go down.

Now I’d pay even less attention because for any particular team they could be inflated or deflated because the portal can affect the number of incoming recruits a school will take.

Ideally, in any given year for a particular school it would be better to have a composite rating between incoming players both from the portal and highschool.

The fact that some of our fans are already worried about Temple is a very bad sign for our team imo.
Maybe the reverse jinx will kick in? 😁
That was the "worried" fan in me. Last year's Temple game was downright painful, and it was a harbinger of the season to come. EJ Warner improved as his season progressed. We cannot say the same for RU's offense, but comparing the competition in the AAC and B1G is comparing raisins and melons.

However, while not mentioning Temple, the usually super optimistic Aaron Breitman has a good degree of trepidation about the upcoming season.

"The bottom line is there are just too many questions on the offensive side of the ball for most fans to have confidence that Rutgers will have a winning campaign in the fall. Many of these questions were pondered following the Scarlet-White Game just over a week ago. Will Gavin Wimsatt emerge at quarterback? Can the running back group be a position of strength? Will RU find enough production in the current receiving group or will they add 1-2 wideouts through the transfer portal?"

Totally agree.
The worried fan in me is what if EJ Warner has developed further, and our defense cannot pressure him?
And RU needs to put up more that 16 points, or this will be a bad sign for the year, IMO.
GS rebuild logic for sucker fans: "Every new year is Year 1 of the balance of my contract."

GS Postgame: "Credit to Temple. They outplayed us. Our team is young, the season is young, and we didn't turn the ball over. All positives. Now if you will please excuse me, I've got to get to the bank to deposit another million."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT