ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t see much separation between Gavin and Athan

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
“The spring game is not always a great indicator of all that has transpired…the spring game is more for the fans”

That was a direct response by Schiano to a question about the quarterbacks.

The biggest difference that I see in the spring game performance between Gavin and Athan is the quality of the wide receivers. If Gavin is throwing to Brantley, he is hitting him in stride, because Brantley is faster, more refined, more polished, and more experienced than Toure and Johnson.

Brantley is in his last year, and could be our WR1. Toure and Johnson are redshirt freshman, who might see spot action, but no more than that. I think our top four WRs in no particular order are:

1. Miller
2. Strong
3. Dremel
4. Brantley

The next four in no particular order are probably something like:
5. Toure
6. Duff
7. Johnson
8. Braithwaite or Long

It is going to be very difficult for someone like Montgomery to get on the field, though he might see some action against a team like Howard. He incidentally was Wimsatts #2 WR.

So what happened in the spring game really doesn’t matter. What happened in the other 14 spring practices matters the most. People forget that a big reason we won 7 games, is due to Wimsatt minimizing turnovers and making big plays running the ball, like in the Indiana game. With Wimsatt, we beat everyone we were supposed to beat.

Athan seems like a slightly better passer, but at the end of the day, the coaches have to decide who gives them the best chance of winning games. That is very much in the air, imo.

The Coaches are going to make their decision at the end of summer, and I’m thankful we have at least two kids capable of winning games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News