Eugene Appreciation Thread

S_Janowski

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 24, 2009
Marlton, NJ
Since kyk, won't start one I will.

What a game by the kid!

Major improvements from freshman to sophomore year. He was all over the court on offense and defense. Exerting himself with the ball in his hands and kept that game close.

22 Pts on 9-11 shooting and 5 boards in 26 minutes against a team with SIZE. Not bad for a kid some wrote off last year.

Looking forward to his progression throughout the season!

Last edited:
IN.....I didnt have much expectations for him heading into the year but the earlier game this year and now tonight against legit competition means we are potentially onto something. Not sure his progress will be linear but we know what he is capable of now

What I like most about him this year is his tenacity and ability to finish in the paint!

Hopefully he can keep it up in conference play.

He has confidence and was not afraid to take the ball to the hoop against the long arms of FSU. The kid has improved so much. Part of the reason is our S&C Coach - Van Dyke - who I personally thanked after the game in the corridors for what he has done with the squad. As Piscataway Mike said - Eugene is the classic prototype recruit for Pikiell who loves to get the "under-recruited" kid and coach him up.

I was there with my bro who is up from Florida and hasn't been to an RU game in years. He said that we hustle we don't give up Sanders needs to take it down a peg we can't shoot and Eugene should be in the game ahead of Thiam.He saw what we all saw..

There was a lot of speculation that Eugene would not be able to perform against a big front line like that of many Big10 teams. He disproved that speculation tonight. He was terrific. And, it was great to see him knock down his FTs.

Eugene was tremendous tonight. His shot fake was vicious. So were his hard cuts to the hoop and the strong finishes.

Also, outside the game, our dance team was really sultry tonight. They deserve an appreciation thread too

Reactions: RUMountie
- confidence
- court awareness
- calmness

...from him tonight was a very nice thing to see. Am I mistaken?

Also, his patience. Not rushing shots, waiting for the other team's bigs to jump themselves out of position.
The announcers particularly lauded him for this.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Fantastic. And that defense play when he jumped into the lane and knock the ball away was beautiful

Reactions: ClubRaritan
Love Eugene.

have loved him from day 1 since seeing him in practice last year. you could just tell he saw the floor better than most. just needed to get stronger and play faster (eg. not think so much)

he is just scratching the surface. a monster out there today.

oh, and it wasn't just kyk. There were many people who would flat out say he stunk. some of the same ill-informed "fans" saying the same about Issa. a shame that some of our fans don't understand that if you're not a 5*, you actually need time and game experience to develop.

Eugene said at one time he models his game after Draymond Green. I am an avid Warriors fan, and I could see it tonight. It wasn't his scoring, because that is not Draymond's game, but it was in his decision making. The game seemed a little slower for him tonight. And his intensity was off the charts. He came in for a block after a foul and the violence in his block was raw emotion that you just have for the game.

Now don't get me wrong....he has a lot to learn. But you can see where the framework is there. If he puts in as much time and effort as Draymond has over his carreer, then we have a lot to look forward to in next couple of years.

Great post, and we'll-deserved.

Obviously he's not there yet talent-wise, but Draymond Green is a good comparison... Combo of passion, court-awareness, athleticism and a knack for getting under the opponents skin. Eugene is going to be a great player by the time all is said and done and will be an all-timer in RU lore/appreciation.

Played really well in a big game. Good to see. I don’t think we can expect that every night but looks like solid contributor on both ends. I am fine with him coming off the bench.

I wish the coaching staff was ready to let him guard the center when he and Freeman share the court. Guarantee those easy layups Walker got down the stretch would have been strongly contested if he were in the paint.

Great game from him and hope more minutes come his way as the rotation tightens.

Its time for Eugene to start over Issa. We need his toughness right from the start and he has earned it. I know it was only an exhibition game vs St John's but we made our late run with Eugene and Freeman playing together. I like when both guys are in game...D, rebounding and blocking shots. Eugene finishing around the basket last night against a tough foe was the highlight of the game for me.

I was an early buyer of Eugene stock. First time I saw him I thought 'Baby Draymond'. Obviously he was quite raw, but people forget the development curve in college basketball. While he is highly unlikely to make the NBA, he can be a big contributor the next few years. A PJ Tucker / Taj Gibson / Draymond type of player.

Every time we face a zone, Eugene needs to be at the high post. His offensive development is ahead of schedule. That's a legit front line he was ballin' against.

His block on #12 was the most impressive play of the night. Kudos to all his hard work in the weight room and on the practice court.

Since kyk, won't start one I will.

What a game by the kid!

Major improvements from freshman to sophomore year. He was all over the court on offense and defense. Exerting himself with the ball in his hands and kept that game close.

22 Pts on 9-11 shooting and 5 boards in 26 minutes against a team with SIZE. Not bad for a kid some wrote off last year.

Looking forward to his progression throughout the season!
Yes...KYK is lucky that all of the crows flew south for the winter.

All I know is there were a few guys ripping eugene before the season who said he would never even play 10 minutes a game. There are too many on here who are always ripping one or some of our players. Our kids worked their tails off last night and are improving every day. I am enjoying the ride.

Its time for Eugene to start over Issa. We need his toughness right from the start and he has earned it. I know it was only an exhibition game vs St John's but we made our late run with Eugene and Freeman playing together. I like when both guys are in game...D, rebounding and blocking shots. Eugene finishing around the basket last night against a tough foe was the highlight of the game for me.

No - Eugene is a PF, and we need at least the THREAT of the 3-point shot from Thiam at the WF position.

Reactions: BoxStater
I appreciate Eugene. I was skeptical last year coming into this year and he has proved me wrong. Just wish he was a little bit taller...

Great heart.

Ahh-ma-roo-eeeee!
11377935_935877183143591_684206253_n.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT